mench
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Both are a little old for prospects and last year was pretty even. Personally I like Mench but it is pretty close.

Same here, although I like Lane to have a very nice season next year. Some interesting splits for him:

Pre All-Star: .234AVG, .282OBP, .468SLG
Post All-Star: .305AVG, .354OBP, .536SLG

Home: .298AVG, .343OBP, .543SLG
Away: .239AVG, .290OBP, .460SLG

He was also considerably better against righties!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:19 am

RynMan wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Both are a little old for prospects and last year was pretty even. Personally I like Mench but it is pretty close.

Same here, although I like Lane to have a very nice season next year. Some interesting splits for him:

That was one thing that really caught my eye. He was much better in the 2nd half while Mench was much better in the 1st half.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
RynMan wrote:

That was one thing that really caught my eye. He was much better in the 2nd half while Mench was much better in the 1st half.

Pogo,

It's no big deal obviously but those were both splits for Jason Lane. They weren't splits for Lane vs. Mench.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:16 pm

Music2004Man wrote:It's no big deal obviously but those were both splits for Jason Lane. They weren't splits for Lane vs. Mench.
I know but look at Mench's splits he really fell off in the 2nd half while as those splits posted show that Lane really came on strong. Just another ??? to think over.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:23 pm

Keep an eye on the situation in Houston - with them making the WS it may be an attractive place to play next year, and if management decide to add a big or two, that lineup would be nice for Lane to fit into, especially in that park.....especially for a right hander.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rlee » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:49 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:It's no big deal obviously but those were both splits for Jason Lane. They weren't splits for Lane vs. Mench.
I know but look at Mench's splits he really fell off in the 2nd half while as those splits posted show that Lane really came on strong. Just another ??? to think over.

Mench was kind of banged up off and on in the 2nd half. He tried to play through a bad hand. I'm sure that factors into this ... how much I don't know.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby prodpaul » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Mench

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:10 am

Jason Lane ;-D

I know I am going against the grain here, but it is important to point out that he simply has more upside. I would even gamble, that if we look back in 5 years, this discussion will probably seem silly. Sure Mench is a solid power threat, and even has a better K/BB%, but I would rather have Lane going forward.

Their BA's will be similar, around .275-285 year in and year out, but Lane will get you slightly more HR's and will probably be in a better spot in the lineup for years to come. He could easily be part of the R/L/R combo in either the 3 or 5 spot for the next decade with Berkman and Ensberg. Mench, if he even stays in Texas as was pointed out, will be in the 6 or 7 spot for the Rangers. Especially with Tex, Blaylock and Soriano there.
Plus, and this may not matter a ton, but Lane has more speed.

and something that is forgotten ... Allot of Lanes early season struggles can be attributed to the simple fact that Houston left him sitting on the bench for the last two seasons. Once he became used to consistent playing time again, he took off, and showed us what we were promised for years.

I'll take Jason ... and by the sound of things, a few rounds after you guys take Mench ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Music2004Man » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:15 pm

wrveres wrote:Jason Lane ;-D

I know I am going against the grain here, but it is important to point out that he simply has more upside. I would even gamble, that if we look back in 5 years, this discussion will probably seem silly. Sure Mench is a solid power threat, and even has a better K/BB%, but I would rather have Lane going forward.

Their BA's will be similar, around .275-285 year in and year out, but Lane will get you slightly more HR's and will probably be in a better spot in the lineup for years to come. He could easily be part of the R/L/R combo in either the 3 or 5 spot for the next decade with Berkman and Ensberg. Mench, if he even stays in Texas as was pointed out, will be in the 6 or 7 spot for the Rangers. Especially with Tex, Blaylock and Soriano there.
Plus, and this may not matter a ton, but Lane has more speed.

and something that is forgotten ... Allot of Lanes early season struggles can be attributed to the simple fact that Houston left him sitting on the bench for the last two seasons. Once he became used to consistent playing time again, he took off, and showed us what we were promised for years.

I'll take Jason ... and by the sound of things, a few rounds after you guys take Mench ;-D

Nice points Wrveres,

Maybe I'll have to reassess my comparison of these two. Should be interesting to look back at this discussion at the end of next year. Just as an extra comment though, if Soriano is moved for some pitching during the offseason that moves mench up in the lineup.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers