100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

It

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:31 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:Have you read any of the Dark Tower/ Gunslinger series Sluggers?

Not a lick.

You should definitely lick it then. :-b

If you like Star Wars/ Lord of the Rings/ Dune... Dark Tower is superior to them all.

It's like the greatest fantasy/ sci-fi/ horror/ buddy story ever told in my opinion- and I've read a lot of books. :-°

The first book is kind of slow, but the second book will blow you away- and the hits keep coming after that. ;-D

[/book nerd rant]

I'll look into reading them. I'm getting sick of three books I'm reading now: "The History of the Bible," "Divided by God," & "Three Nights in August."

Yes, that's right. I'm trying to read Three Nights in August, and I just can't stand it. The guy uses 14 words where he only needs to use one. Sure, the story he's telling is interesting, but I can't get past the way he's telling it.

Yes, I'm a Cardinal fan. Shoot me.

Dear God. Put away those silly books and get started on some Gunslinger. Hope I didn't scare you about the first book- it's not boring at all, just kind of strange at times... but he does explain really well what all of the weird stuff meant throughout the series.

You should read Dark Tower, Sluggers. I believe it is your ka. :-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:48 pm

Well, the "History of the Bible" book isn't really called that. It's basically what it is, though. It's a Jehovah's Witnesses book that I'm reading purely to determine what their religious views are and how they differ from mainstream Christianity. However, it claims to have 30-40 pages in it that break down the history of how the Bible came to be put together in the manner it is in today. It's mostly a lot of facts that don't concern me, but one thing did interest me. I believe (and I need to read it again to confirm) that the Catholic church essentially put together the Bible that I read today. If that's the case, then I need to find out how the Catholic church decided what I should and shouldn't be reading, because I don't know that they should necessarily be given that blanket authority. But I digress. I'm just trying to say that there's more to reading that book than you might think.

The "Divided by God" book is being used as a teaching material by the University of Missouri in a class. I felt it best to keep up with the teaching trends, particularly if they might somehow might go against my religious beliefs. It's actually turned out to be a great book. The author is apparently an Ivy-League scholar on the matter of the division of church and state. He's so reknowned, he was actually called over the Iraq to council the newly-formed government on the history of church-state relations. If the book is 200-pages long, then 180-pages of it is strictly history with no interpretation whatsoever. The last 20 pages is supposed to be his opinion on how this country could reach a compromise on this subject, but I haven't got there yet. It's slow reading. I feel I'm pretty intelligent, and it's generally pretty difficult to write over my head, but this guy uses terminology and phrases that I've never heard before.

I'll check out the Gunslinger/Dark Towers stuff next time I'm at the library. I'll let you know what I think of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pacman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:22 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Are you talking about Dark Towers? I've never read those, but Flagg was in The Stand. If you're talking about Dark Towers, did he reuse the same character?

SK's characters from other novels are actually an important part of the DT series, especially as the series approaches the end. I won't say anymore, so as not to spoil anything, but some of the stuff that happens in the last two books will blow your mind.

The series is terrific. I highly recommend it.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:39 pm

Gunslinger fans-

5 first editions of The Gunslinger. :-L

2 first editions each of the next 4 books in the series. Probably $6,000 worth of books right there.

I hate the jerk who took this picture so much :~(
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby WharfRat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 pm

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:58 pm

WharfRat wrote:The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

My next sig is going to have those words and a cool shot of the gunslinger and the tower. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk