Leo to NY? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Leo to NY?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:09 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:IMHO, this is just a NY pipedream. All that has happened is that NY is trying to talk to him. That means absolutely nothing at this point. Maybe I'll have to come back and eat crow, but I see no reason to go there. If he's good in NY, someone else will get the credit. If he's not good, he'll get the blame. Talk about a very poor situation.

There is NO ONE in the Yanks coaching core that knows the difference between a fastball and a curveball. Mazzone would get the credit simply because there is no one else with even a clue. Not that I disagree with your assessment of the likelihood, I don't. I think it is wishful thinking and that Mazzone is never going to leave Atlanta.

It's practically a given that if suddenly NY had a 2.0 ERA next year, it would be due to the impressive signings and great bullpen management by Torre according to the general public. Mazzone would be about 5th on the list, behind the groundskeeper for keeping the grass 1/8th inch longer. Oh yeah, then there's that Leo guy who knows that one thing. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:17 am

Not true as just about everyone blamed Stottlemeyer for being inept. Not that it was all his fault as he hardly brought in these losers and there is only so much that canbe done with trash.

Also, the Yanks are unlikely to sign any significant pitching in the off-season imo outside of a bullpen arm and maybe a re-signing of Chacon or some other mid-tier SP. They have 5 SPs already under contact: RJ, Moose, Pavano, Wright and Wang. All except Wang are unmoveable contract-wise. How many starters can they carry? If by some miracle they pitch better next season, no one is going to get the credit outside of the players themselves and the pitching coach. Torre knows nada about pitching...as he so frequently reminded us this season with his use of Embree...the prior with his use of Heredia and setting up of K. Brown for game 7, etc.
Torre and bullpen management is an oxymoron. He regularly blows out his MRs arms by Sept and goes to clowns who have no business being in the Majors.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:20 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Not true as just about everyone blamed Stottlemeyer for being inept. Not that it was all his fault as he hardly brought in these losers and there is only so much that canbe done with trash.

Also, the Yanks are unlikely to sign any significant pitching in the off-season imo outside of a bullpen arm and maybe a re-signing of Chacon or some other mid-tier SP. They have 5 SPs already under contact: RJ, Moose, Pavano, Wright and Wang. All except Wang are unmoveable contract-wise. How many starters can they carry? If by some miracle they pitch better next season, no one is going to get the credit outside of the players themselves and the pitching coach. Torre knows nada about pitching...as he so frequently reminded us this season with his use of Embree...the prior with his use of Heredia and setting up of K. Brown for game 7, etc.
Torre and bullpen management is an oxymoron. He regularly blows out his MRs arms by Sept and goes to clowns who have no business being in the Majors.

That's what I said though, if the Yankees still had poor pitching he would definitely get the blame. But he wouldn't get the credit if they had good pitching.

And if they did have good pitching, obviously the signings from last year would have to step up. If that happened, Mazzone wouldn't get the credit - Randy Johnson would get the credit for suddenly remembering how to pitch, and Cashman would get the credit for trading for him. See what I mean? It really is a no win situation coaching in NY. Don't go there Leo, please don't.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:10 am

slomo007 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:IMHO, this is just a NY pipedream. All that has happened is that NY is trying to talk to him. That means absolutely nothing at this point. Maybe I'll have to come back and eat crow, but I see no reason to go there. If he's good in NY, someone else will get the credit. If he's not good, he'll get the blame. Talk about a very poor situation.

There is NO ONE in the Yanks coaching core that knows the difference between a fastball and a curveball. Mazzone would get the credit simply because there is no one else with even a clue. Not that I disagree with your assessment of the likelihood, I don't. I think it is wishful thinking and that Mazzone is never going to leave Atlanta.

It's practically a given that if suddenly NY had a 2.0 ERA next year, it would be due to the impressive signings and great bullpen management by Torre according to the general public. Mazzone would be about 5th on the list, behind the groundskeeper for keeping the grass 1/8th inch longer. Oh yeah, then there's that Leo guy who knows that one thing. :-b

Not at all true. I can guarentee you he'd get the credit he deserves because the fans know how bad the pitching has been and he'll have largely the same guys to work with as Mel did. Leo's got a reputation and if the results live up to that, you can be sure he'll get the credit. The fans aren't stupid.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:04 pm

Why would the Braves give him permission to talk anyways? They're not going to trade him. He's the best in the business. The only thing this can do is hurt them.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:56 pm

Can you trade a coach? Why are they even talking to him if he's signed in Atlanta for another year?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:00 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Why would the Braves give him permission to talk anyways? They're not going to trade him. He's the best in the business. The only thing this can do is hurt them.

This is the most interesting aspect of the whole thing. This rumor has been kicking around in the NY press all season but up until this point it has just been a pipe dream. But the fact that Atlanta gave the Yankees permission to speak with him makes it seem more realistic. Perhaps Atlanta is confident that he won't leave and do not want to appear like they are standing in the way of opportunities for their employees. Or maybe they are ready to change regimes? Couldn't imagine why but it'll be fun to see how this plays out.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:44 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Mazzilli was fired months ago.

Good arms in Baltimore...just who would that be?

I think he was referring to Sidney Ponson...

( :-D )
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:55 pm

i dont really see mazzone leaving the braves for much of anything.... as long as cox is still managing the braves, i believe rockin leo will be there right beside him..... i think the yanks should probably be looking elsewhere for their new pitching coach, but if they leo, their pitching numbers will definitely be much better next year....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:26 pm

I'm not going to get into it with Yanks04 about his bashing of Cashman because I've gone down that road one too many times.

All I'm going to say is that this is a very unlikely scenario. I don't see Mazzone leaving Atlanta, although I'd be very happy if he did come to New York. I wouldn't count on it though.

Also, why do the Yankees need permission? Isn't Mazzone's contract up? Why wouldn't he be able to talk to the Yankees, or any other team, anyway?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers