Leo to NY? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Leo to NY?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Leo to NY?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:52 pm

NEW YORK -- The Yankees have received permission to speak with Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone, targeting him as their top choice to replace Mel Stottlemyre.

Mazzone, who has been on Atlanta's staff with manager Bobby Cox since June 1990, is considered one of the top pitching coaches in the Major Leagues, helping the Braves win 14 consecutive division titles.

A source confirmed that the Yankees had asked for and received permission to speak with Mazzone, though it is unclear when the two sides will speak. Mazzone has one year remaining on his contract with the Braves.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, whose future is uncertain as his contract expires on Oct. 31, did not return calls.

Stottlemyre announced last week that he would not return for an 11th season on Joe Torre's staff, saying he was tired of the constant criticism and the division between the New York and Tampa factions in the organization.

Torre's future remains a bit of a mystery as well. The manager has yet to address the media following New York's American League Division Series loss to the Angels, though he is expected to do so sometime this week.

Mazzone, who turned 57 on Sunday, had a positive impact on Jaret Wright during the pitcher's year-and-a-half stint in Atlanta. Wright endorsed the idea of Mazzone taking over for Stottlemyre last week.

"He helped me out a lot, and he's done that for a lot of years with a lot of guys," Wright said. "He's a professional. I think he could do a good job."

Other possible candidates include former Yankees left-hander Ron Guidry, Triple-A Columbus pitching coach Gil Patterson, Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti and former Red Sox pitching coach and current Yankees advance scout Joe Kerrigan.
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsjerk » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:53 pm

I heard that rumor before, man, if Mazzone went to New York, I honestly think their pitching would fall into place and make them a perennial power in the east.
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:58 pm

sportsjerk wrote:I heard that rumor before, man, if Mazzone went to New York, I honestly think their pitching would fall into place and make them a perennial power in the east.

They ARE a perennial power in the east :-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:01 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
sportsjerk wrote:I heard that rumor before, man, if Mazzone went to New York, I honestly think their pitching would fall into place and make them a perennial power in the east.

They ARE a perennial power in the east :-D

thats what i thought
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby sportsjerk » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:02 am

True, I guess I should have said from the east. It seems like they make the playoffs, but get nowhere. Not that I'm complaining, I don't like the Yankees. I guess I should have said if they get Mazzone, they'll be the AL world series representative for the next few years.
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsjerk » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:03 am

My bad :*) !+) Don't hold my brain farts against me.
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:03 am

That can only be the case if Clueless Brian is canned. Just how much magic can Mazzone work if the brainless Brian brings in another bunch of guys like:

Witasik
Heredia
Weaver
Wright
Vazquez
Pavano
G. White
Miceli
Embree
Choate
Franklin
Proctor
Leiter
Hitchcock
Brown
Benitez
Stanton II
Quantril
Groom
Fossas
Osuna
Acevedo
Orosco
Hammond

....and many I am sure to have forgetton.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sportsjerk » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:05 am

Ok, but how many no names did Mazzone turn around in Atlanta? I'd venture to guess quite a few. I mean, if he can help Wright, the man must be a miracle worker ;-D
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 am

Wright was good in Atlanta
Vazquez was the best Expos pitcher the year before, you Yankees wasted his arm by asking him to pitch too much
Pavano was a fluke
Embree: come on now.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:14 am

Asking him to pitch too much? That is a joke right? He pitched 198 IPs in 2004, by far his lowest total since 1999. That man stunk...pure and simple.

Wright was a fluke to stay healthy in Atlanta....Mazzone may be good, but unless he is some sort of mystic healer, well...
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers