Vlad for LVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad for LVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:02 pm

They all think Vlad was on the Angels in 2002 for some reason.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:25 pm

I got tired of the broadcasters constantly praising his arm. Yes it's really strong but his accuracy rivals Nuke LaLoosh.
Image
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1438
Joined: 10 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka

Postby NZF » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:36 pm

This may have had something to do with Vlad's poor showing in the ALCS.

Updated: Oct. 17, 2005, 12:14 AM ET
Vlad's mom: Spot's death affected performance
Associated Press

Nizao Bani, Dominican Republic -- Vlad Guerrero played poorly in the Anaheim Angels American League Championship Series loss in part because he was saddened by the death of his pet dog who he had raised, the slugger's mother said in an interview published in a local newspaper Sunday.

Mrs Vlad said her son kept the Sept. 30 death of his pet to himself because he was committed to helping his team win.

"I think he should speak with the team and tell them that his dog, who was like a brother to him because he raised him since he was a puppy, died in a kennel in Miami," Mrs Vlad told Listin daily newspaper.

Mrs Vlad didn't say what caused the death of the dog.

Guerrero was hitless in Sunday's 6-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox that sent the Angels home for the year, and finished the seven-game series with one RBI and an .050 batting average.

"I know how much he suffered from the death of his pet without being able to do anything, from listening to me crying and not being able to be there," she said, suggesting some Angels fans were being unfair to her son.

"I would like ... for the baseball fans to know that my son is a great human being, that they're seeing a human and not a robot, that he can fail, especially when there are reasons like this," she said.

Mrs Vlad said Guerrero barked with his pet for three hours by phone the day before it died.

"We buried him in Nizao Bani ... [Guerrero] didn't come because of the high sense of responsibility that Vladdie has for his work," she said.

When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby giants8307 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:09 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:This may have had something to do with Vlad's poor showing in the ALCS.

Updated: Oct. 17, 2005, 12:14 AM ET
Vlad's mom: Spot's death affected performance
Associated Press

Nizao Bani, Dominican Republic -- Vlad Guerrero played poorly in the Anaheim Angels American League Championship Series loss in part because he was saddened by the death of his pet dog who he had raised, the slugger's mother said in an interview published in a local newspaper Sunday.

Mrs Vlad said her son kept the Sept. 30 death of his pet to himself because he was committed to helping his team win.

"I think he should speak with the team and tell them that his dog, who was like a brother to him because he raised him since he was a puppy, died in a kennel in Miami," Mrs Vlad told Listin daily newspaper.

Mrs Vlad didn't say what caused the death of the dog.

Guerrero was hitless in Sunday's 6-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox that sent the Angels home for the year, and finished the seven-game series with one RBI and an .050 batting average.

"I know how much he suffered from the death of his pet without being able to do anything, from listening to me crying and not being able to be there," she said, suggesting some Angels fans were being unfair to her son.

"I would like ... for the baseball fans to know that my son is a great human being, that they're seeing a human and not a robot, that he can fail, especially when there are reasons like this," she said.

Mrs Vlad said Guerrero barked with his pet for three hours by phone the day before it died.

"We buried him in Nizao Bani ... [Guerrero] didn't come because of the high sense of responsibility that Vladdie has for his work," she said.



I can see that. I've been pretty much useless the weeks after one of my animals has died.
Image
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1942
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Howie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:This may have had something to do with Vlad's poor showing in the ALCS.

Updated: Oct. 17, 2005, 12:14 AM ET
Vlad's mom: Spot's death affected performance
Associated Press

Nizao Bani, Dominican Republic -- Vlad Guerrero played poorly in the Anaheim Angels American League Championship Series loss in part because he was saddened by the death of his pet dog who he had raised, the slugger's mother said in an interview published in a local newspaper Sunday.

Mrs Vlad said her son kept the Sept. 30 death of his pet to himself because he was committed to helping his team win.

"I think he should speak with the team and tell them that his dog, who was like a brother to him because he raised him since he was a puppy, died in a kennel in Miami," Mrs Vlad told Listin daily newspaper.

Mrs Vlad didn't say what caused the death of the dog.

Guerrero was hitless in Sunday's 6-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox that sent the Angels home for the year, and finished the seven-game series with one RBI and an .050 batting average.

"I know how much he suffered from the death of his pet without being able to do anything, from listening to me crying and not being able to be there," she said, suggesting some Angels fans were being unfair to her son.

"I would like ... for the baseball fans to know that my son is a great human being, that they're seeing a human and not a robot, that he can fail, especially when there are reasons like this," she said.

Mrs Vlad said Guerrero barked with his pet for three hours by phone the day before it died.

"We buried him in Nizao Bani ... [Guerrero] didn't come because of the high sense of responsibility that Vladdie has for his work," she said.



Maybe if Vlad spent more time in the batting cages...

But yeah, it does suck to lose a pet, and I still respect Vlad as much as i used to as a ballplayer, even after the CS.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3450
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: So Cal

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:39 pm

The Jury wrote:Yeah at the end of the day Vlad still sleeps happy because he's one of the best hitters in baseball and he's got a Championship ring.


But he was an Expo up until last year, how could he have a ring?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:56 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:This may have had something to do with Vlad's poor showing in the ALCS.

Updated: Oct. 17, 2005, 12:14 AM ET
Vlad's mom: Spot's death affected performance
Associated Press

Nizao Bani, Dominican Republic -- Vlad Guerrero played poorly in the Anaheim Angels American League Championship Series loss in part because he was saddened by the death of his pet dog who he had raised, the slugger's mother said in an interview published in a local newspaper Sunday.

Mrs Vlad said her son kept the Sept. 30 death of his pet to himself because he was committed to helping his team win.

"I think he should speak with the team and tell them that his dog, who was like a brother to him because he raised him since he was a puppy, died in a kennel in Miami," Mrs Vlad told Listin daily newspaper.

Mrs Vlad didn't say what caused the death of the dog.

Guerrero was hitless in Sunday's 6-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox that sent the Angels home for the year, and finished the seven-game series with one RBI and an .050 batting average.

"I know how much he suffered from the death of his pet without being able to do anything, from listening to me crying and not being able to be there," she said, suggesting some Angels fans were being unfair to her son.

"I would like ... for the baseball fans to know that my son is a great human being, that they're seeing a human and not a robot, that he can fail, especially when there are reasons like this," she said.

Mrs Vlad said Guerrero barked with his pet for three hours by phone the day before it died.

"We buried him in Nizao Bani ... [Guerrero] didn't come because of the high sense of responsibility that Vladdie has for his work," she said.



To use NZF's viewpoint on the subject.

Yeah he must have been absolutely devastated tongue-in-cheek.gif

It's very matter of fact to me. If VLad WAS that effected by the death of his "dog" then he did his team a major dis-service by attempting to play. So he's at fault either way.

Anyway, elite sports people often use that as motivation. Favre and Clemens are two that quickly come to mind.

I also find it very hard to believe that if Vlad had such a close bond that he wouldn't even attempt to be present at the funeral. Even if that meant late night flights and little sleep.

Basically mummy is attempting to come to the rescue of her darling precious boy Vlad, who all those naughty people are being so mean to.

;-)
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:27 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:This may have had something to do with Vlad's poor showing in the ALCS.

Updated: Oct. 17, 2005, 12:14 AM ET
Vlad's mom: Spot's death affected performance
Associated Press

Nizao Bani, Dominican Republic -- Vlad Guerrero played poorly in the Anaheim Angels American League Championship Series loss in part because he was saddened by the death of his pet dog who he had raised, the slugger's mother said in an interview published in a local newspaper Sunday.

Mrs Vlad said her son kept the Sept. 30 death of his pet to himself because he was committed to helping his team win.

"I think he should speak with the team and tell them that his dog, who was like a brother to him because he raised him since he was a puppy, died in a kennel in Miami," Mrs Vlad told Listin daily newspaper.

Mrs Vlad didn't say what caused the death of the dog.

Guerrero was hitless in Sunday's 6-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox that sent the Angels home for the year, and finished the seven-game series with one RBI and an .050 batting average.

"I know how much he suffered from the death of his pet without being able to do anything, from listening to me crying and not being able to be there," she said, suggesting some Angels fans were being unfair to her son.

"I would like ... for the baseball fans to know that my son is a great human being, that they're seeing a human and not a robot, that he can fail, especially when there are reasons like this," she said.

Mrs Vlad said Guerrero barked with his pet for three hours by phone the day before it died.

"We buried him in Nizao Bani ... [Guerrero] didn't come because of the high sense of responsibility that Vladdie has for his work," she said.



To use NZF's viewpoint on the subject.

Yeah he must have been absolutely devastated tongue-in-cheek.gif

It's very matter of fact to me. If VLad WAS that effected by the death of his "dog" then he did his team a major dis-service by attempting to play. So he's at fault either way.

Anyway, elite sports people often use that as motivation. Favre and Clemens are two that quickly come to mind.

I also find it very hard to believe that if Vlad had such a close bond that he wouldn't even attempt to be present at the funeral. Even if that meant late night flights and little sleep.

Basically mummy is attempting to come to the rescue of her darling precious boy Vlad, who all those naughty people are being so mean to.

;-)

SO he did a major disservice by playing? Sorry, I have a hard time believing a Vlad-less Angels is somehow better than one with Vlad, no matter how bad a slump hes in. People seem to forget the entire team hit like garbage, and the pitching struggled after the first 2 games also. Lay off the guy, Angels fans. Everyone has slumps. His came at a horrible time.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:02 pm

This has got to be a bulls**t article. He barked on the phone with it for three hours the day before it died? Cmon! Mrs. Vlad? WTF? And she makes it sound like Vlad refers to the dog as "it". No person who loves animals this much refers to the animal as anything other than he, she or by name. Notice the article never names the dog..... A crock!!
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 888
Joined: 13 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:54 pm

Way to be a total jackass NZF. :-t

Thats disgraceful. The man who raised you as a child and a dog. Nice analogy ;-7
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact