What do the Angels do this offseason? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

What do the Angels do this offseason?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do the Angels do this offseason?

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:46 am

I'm interested to know what all the Angels fans here think of my thoughts.

Signings/Re-Signings:
1. Re-Sign Bengie Molina (1-2 year deal $6 mil/year?) - the guy is just awesome. He calls a great game and has been great at throwing out runners and is a clutch hitter. Mathis needs another year at least of grooming as the 3rd catcher with limited time.

2. Don't Re-Sign Jarrod Washburn - He's going to cost too much money anyways, and we need to make room for the likes of Weaver, Shell, and Saunders.

3. Re-Sign Paul Byrd (1 yard deal $6.5 mil?) - We still probably gotta wait until '07 for Weaver, Shell, and Saunders before they are regulars in the rotatio.

4. Re-Sign Tim Salmon (1 year deal $1 mil?) - I'm sure he'd take a smaller contract to be a reserve OF and help out coaching in some ways.

5. Sign B.J. Ryan (3 year deal $4-5 mil/year?) - He'd give our pen a nasty left hander that we've always dreamed of. Instead of spending the money on another 1B in Konerko (who I'd love to have) let's just go with Kotch and Kendry for our future... one of them is gonna be huge, if not both.

Trades:
1. The Angels should look to make a deal for a CF. Torii Hunter??? I was thinking Adam Kennedy, Darin Erstad, and maybe a lower level prosect for Torii Hunter. Twins need a 2B in Kennedy and I'm sure they'd love a guy like Erstad to replace Hunter in CF.

2. I don't know if anybody would take him, but we need to get rid of Steve Finley. The guy is done.

Realistic Lineup:
1. Chone Figgins - 2B
2. Orlando Cabrera - SS
3. Vlad Guerrero - RF
4. Garret Anderson - LF
5. Torii Hunter - CF
6. Dallas McPherson - 3B
7. Juan Rivera - DH
8. Bengie Molina - C
9. Casey Kotchman - 1B

Bench:
IF - Maicer Izturis
OF - Jeff Davanon
OF - Tim Salmon
1B/OF - Kendry Morales
2B/SS - Alberto Callaspo - keep in AAA until injury
3B - Rob Quinlan

Rotation:
1. Bartolo Colon
2. John Lackey
3. Kelvim Escobar
4. Ervin Santana
5. Paul Byrd
--- Spot Starters/ Emergency Backups for AAA until injury
6. Jared Weaver
7. Joe Saunders
8. Steven Shell

Bullpen:
1. Francisco Rodriguez
2. Scot Shields
3. B.J. Ryan
4. Brendan Donnelly
5. Kevin Gregg
6. Esteban Yan (still under contract)

What ya other Halo fans think?
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Angels Offseason Moves

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:32 am

Here are my thoughts on the Angles offseason:

A) They've got 73 million committed next year to guys already signed (Guerrero, Colon, Anderson, etc)

B) They will have to spend 16 million to avoid going to arbitration with guys like Lackey and Figgins.

C) Payroll in 2005 was 97 million. I have read comments that might bump it up a little (100 Million?) So, assume they've got about 11 million to play with going into the offseason.

D) The big question is what do they make a priority, getting pitching or hitting help? Hitting seems like the obvious answer, but I bet they focus on pitching help first , especially the bullpen.

1) Bullpen - If they could somehow land BJ Ryan that would be awesome, but I think that guy is going to the Yankees to become Mariano Rivera's replacement in 1-2 years. A more realistic option might be Todd Jones from the Marlins. He would probably cost less also (4-5 mil/year). Hard to believe the Angels let go of Turnbow and Jenks, and actually need to make a move like this.

2) [/b] Starting Pitching [/b] I think it depends on whether the Angels think Joe Saunders, Jerrod Weaver, or Chirs Boot check is ready to take the No 5 stater hole. If they think they are, then Washburn and Byrd will not be resigned. If there not ready, I think the Angles will resign Byrd, but it will cost 6 mil/year this time.

3) Hitting - If they go after a SP, then they won't have money to acquire hitters. It wouuld have to be trade. I like your Torri Hunter deal. I think Mike Sweeney from the Royals is a possibility, but are the Royals willing to swap salaries? Soriano from Texas would be nice for Adam Kennedy and a minor leaguer, but will the Rangers trade a player to the Angles? Perhaps Griffey in a trade?

If they don't resign Byrd, the Angels should have about 7 million left to spend, assuming they bolster the bullpen. I don't think the Angles resign Molina. He is a 32 year old catcher with Scott Boras as an agent. I think they go with Jeff Mathias and pick up a veteran catcher to help out the first year. Don't have a list of free agents yet to see who might be available for 7 million. Aubuery Huff from Tampa might be a good fit.

It will be interesting to see what they do.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Dumb Meat Head » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:58 pm

I dunno about spending serious jack on BJ ryan just to help out the pen. Reliable bullpen guys can be had for almost nothing you just have to find the guys which stoneman(one of his few redeaming qualities) has managed to do well over the year. Given our depth at pitching in the minors it makes more sense to bring up a young guy and stick him in the pen than signing a guy who'll demand $8+ mill in BJ or even Todd Jones for $4 mill who might regress because of his age.

I dont know if Figgins and Lackey will cost them $16 million to avoid arbitration, guys usually don't get massive pay raises like that. More than likely both will get something like $4 mill each. That would give up $81 million under your calculations, about $20 mill to work with.

Here's what I'd love to happen
Erstad needs to go, he's basically travis lee with a glove and he's way too expensive. Trade him for whatever, it doesn't even matter really.

We shouldn't resign Molina since he's going to get 3 years more than likely and he hasn't been healthy in years. He's clutch sure and great defensively but its not worth a longer contract for a guy who'll probably end up breaking down.

We definately should not resign washburn. His ERA is very deceptive. No way a guy with a 90/50 k/bb ratio has a 3.3 era, it just doesn't happen unless the guy got very very lucky. Let someone else sign him for $7 mill for a few years so he can return to the 4.50 era range and fade from that.

I'm down with Salmon just to see what he can do.

I'd put chone in center permanently.

We have $20 to work with the problem is there is nobody to spend it on except maybe manny ;). But realistically the only guys worth the money out there will cause lineup problems. We don't need Konerko to block kotchman and we can't bring in giles because we have G.A and rivera.

We should resign byrd

Besides those two guys there is nobody out there worth the price tag.

My lineup:
1. Chone CF
2. Kotchman 1b- we need OBP/power up front to score runs
3. Vlad RF
4. GA DH
5. Rivera LF
6. D-Mac 3d
7. OC SS
8. Mathis C
9. Kennedy 2b

The problem is this. We really can't move G.A. or OC. Moving G.A. would allow us to sign giles, trade for manny or trade for adam Dunn. Moving OC would just make out offense better.

I'm worried about this offseason because we planned for it pretty poorly. We have lots of money to spend but there is nobody to spend it on. A solution could be to sign konerko to DH and move Rivera which is more realistic than moving G.A. who isn't llooking good. We are stuck with O.C. which just sucks and it blocks our strength in the minors which is middle infielders. In general it was a terrible signing.

The best way to improve out lineup would be to start trading for some guys but stoneman isn't very adept at this. And the problem is our trading ability is limited by our poor major leaguers taking up payroll and since our farm system is so loaded people will always ask a lot in return from us, generally too much.

I'm kind of stumped her, i just don't know where to go with what we have and whats out there. But our offense should improve just by having kotchman, dmac, rivera in there seeing 600 abs and by moving OC out of the 2 hole.

As for the pitchers my rotation is the same as yours and it should be solid again.
Dumb Meat Head
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halo Homers » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:41 pm

The 14 million to avoid arbitration covered more than just Figgins and Lackey. it was 6 players according to the LA times, but Figgins and Lackey are mentioned specifically in the article, obviously due to their importanance to the team.

I think the Angels will need to focus first on pitching. I don't think Weaver will be ready at the start the 2006 season in the starting rotation, and the bullpen almost fell apart down the stretch if it had not been for Escobar, who will have to be in the starting rotation full time next year most likely. They need a 3rd reliable bullpen alternative, Yan and Donnelly aren't it.

I hope they resign Byrd, or try to trade OC for a 4th starter, and then go after a solid setup man.

I agree with you on OC based on 2005. I would be good to trade him. He is blocking the middle infielders, espeically Brandon Wood. I hate to see Erstad go, but I agree if they can get starting pitching for him, it would be a good trade.

I hope they don't trade for a 1b. I think all Kotchman needs is to play 140 games and get 550 ABs to prove himself.

3b is another matter. I am not convinced McPherson is the answer. I would like to see the Angels get some insurance there. I thinking either trade back for Troy Glaus (a longer term solution) or go after Nomar. Nomar could probably be signed to a 1 or 2 year deal. We could play 3b or SS, epecially if OC is traded, and he would be that right handed power bat they are looking for. I know he's probably only good for 20 HR, but he gets got extra base power. Nomar and Kotchman might be enough next year in the power department. Then, hope either McPherson or Wood add addtional power.

Lineups (Assuming OC is traded)

Againt Lefties
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:06 pm

Angel Lineup - Assumptions:

1) OC is dealt for pitching
2) Angels trade or sign Glaus or Nomar
3) Kotchman becomes the regular 1B
4) Rivera starts against left handed pitching.
5) McPherson breaks camp as the 3B against right-handed pitching
6) Brandon Wood remains in minors to start season

In this sceanario, Erstad and Izturis become a part time staters and late inning defensive replacements. Figgins play CF primarly, but gets occasional starts at 3B and 2B.

Against Lefties

Figgins -3B/OF
Nomar/Rivera -SS/OF
Vlad OF
Anderson DH
Rivera/Glaus OF/3B
Kotchman IB
Erstad / Izturis OF/SS
Mathis C
Kennedy 2B

Against Righties

Figgins - OF
Kotchman -1B
Vlad -OF
Anderson - DH/OF
Nomar/Glaus - SS/DH
McPherson -3B
Erstad / Izturis - OF/SS
Mathis C
Kennedy 2B
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Just keeping my mind busy

Postby radarglove » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:11 pm

MrScotty, lets see how things turned out:
1. Sorry Benjie's gone, I wish we could have kept him also but the youth movement has to start somewhere

2. You are right on this one, and I agree

3. Sorry, but I also think you were right. Hopefully we get Jeff Weaver to make up for the mistake

4. Yeah buddy, good call. He is my all time favorite Angel player and here's to him showing he can do it again in 2006. Good luck Tim

5. This is the "damn, I wish you got your wish" one. To bad you didn't, it would have looked so god.

Trades:

1. Man this would have been nice. And as a bonus Kendrick would be in the mix for 2nd base (would depend on who had the better spring, him or Dallas as to where figgy would play)

2. You were right on here

Good Job Sir
As always, JMHO
radarglove
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:24 pm

Yeah good call on the B.J. Ryan deal by me... 4-5 million... that's all I would have paid... what are the Jays thinking???
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:27 pm

How would everyone rate what the Angels did in the offseason.

I would have to give it a C. They failed to pick up a bat, which could have been done for less than 5 million per year. The SP moves were questionable. Only the RP moves made sense.

On the postive side:

1) Signed Jeff Weaver. That added some much needed SP depth after the departure of Washburn and Byrd. That indirectly adds to the RP depth, as now either Escobar or Carrasco can pitch out of the pen instead of the rotation.
2) Added Romero to the pen. It was a good pickup even if he is only effective against left handed batters situationally.
3) Moved Steve Finley for Alfonzo. Alfonzo is a better fit in the IF than Finley in the OF. Allowed Erstad to move back to the OF, allowing Kotchman to become the full time 1b.
4) Did not resign Jarrod Washburn . Good riddance at 37.25M

On the Negative side:
1) Angels failure to pick up a addtional bat. At 2M, I think they should have picked up Mike Piazza as an insurance policy at C and as an addtional DH. I'm not convinced either Jose Molina is the right guy to pair with Jeff Mathias.
2) Should have resigned Byrd instead of go after Weaver. Would have saved 2M, and gotten a more reliable SP.

Angels Lineup / Roster

Chone Figgins 3B
Orlando Cabrera SS
Garrett Anderson OF
Vladimir Guerrero OF
Casey Kotchman 1B
Juan Rivera DH
Darin Erstad OF
Jose Molina C
Adam Kennedy 2B

Bench
Dallas McPherson 3B/DH
Edgardo Alfonzo 3B
Jeff Mathias C
Macier Izturis SS/2B
Tim Salmon OF

Staters
Bartolo Colon
John Lackey
Jeff Weaver
Kelvim Escobar
Ervin Santana

Relief
Franciso Rodriguez
Scot Shields
JC Romero
Hector Carrasco
Brendan Donnelley
Estaban Yan

Looks like Rob Quinlan and Kevin Gregg start in the minors. Hope Tim Salmon gets a shot.

Hope Brandon Wood gets a shot during the year, to see if he could take over at 3B,SS, or 2B
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby radarglove » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:18 pm

Halo, I like a few more things they did during the off season like....

Not re-signing Byrd, not that I didn't him, I just didn't want to give more then a year to any pitcher and block Weaver the younger's path

I'm glad they didn't make the trade for Manny now. His attitude (taking days off when he feels like it, asking for a trade 1 or twice a year, etc.) would have wrecked everything Scioscia has put together. I place a high value on team chemistry. Not to mention what they wanted for him.....Boston must know what we have in our future.

Glad they didn't trade any of the top prospects. Soon the infield will be Kotchman, Kendrick, Wood and Big Mac2. And they could be together for a long time (could be better then a certian Dodger inf. of the past)
So, I think I would give them at least a B, and if the rookie movement works out like it should I would upgrade that
As always, JMHO
radarglove
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:05 pm

radarglove wrote:Halo, I like a few more things they did during the off season like....

Not re-signing Byrd, not that I didn't him, I just didn't want to give more then a year to any pitcher and block Weaver the younger's path

I'm glad they didn't make the trade for Manny now. His attitude (taking days off when he feels like it, asking for a trade 1 or twice a year, etc.) would have wrecked everything Scioscia has put together. I place a high value on team chemistry. Not to mention what they wanted for him.....Boston must know what we have in our future.

Glad they didn't trade any of the top prospects. Soon the infield will be Kotchman, Kendrick, Wood and Big Mac2. And they could be together for a long time (could be better then a certian Dodger inf. of the past)
So, I think I would give them at least a B, and if the rookie movement works out like it should I would upgrade that

I absoultely agree with the youth movement. I am glad the Angels finallly made room for Kotchman full time. I also hope they find room for Wood. First injury in the infield, and Wood should be up and getting playing time. However, it would be interesting to know what they would have to give up to get Manny. I think its a lot less than has been suggested. I'm thinking its was only one young prospect, and not Wood. If they could give Rivera/ Escobar (Now that Weaver is signed) Erstad and Morales or Aybar, I would say it would be worth doing. Should probably get a pitcher in return (Wells or Arroyo) as well.

Byrd would not have blocked anyone. Next year, Escobar will be a free agent. I also believe Lackey will be also, but not certain. IMO, having Byrd signed for more than one year would have ensured that at least three core staters were on board in 2007 (Colon, Byrd, Santana)
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim