The Curse of Jeters Contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Curse of Jeters Contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rob0417 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:30 pm

Over 85% that is impressive. I wonder if that is the highest.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 447
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:38 pm

Here are the %'s for capacity at home games

ChiCubs 98
Boston 97.2
SF 94.5
LAA 93.3
NYY 87.9
St.Louis 86.7
Houston 84.3
San Diego 83.3
LA Dodgers 79.4
Philadelphia 76.6
Washington 74.4
ChiSox 71.2
Seattle 70.4
Baltimore 67.2
Milwaukee 64.4
Texas 64.1
Detroit 63.1
Atlanta 62.9
Florida 62.7
Mets 61.3
Pittsburgh 60
Oakland 59.6
Cincinnati 57
Cleveland 56.8
Arizona 51.9
Minnesota 51.7
Toronto 48.9
Colorado 47.5
Kansas 42.5
Tampa 32.1
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Winning or a nice new park seems to draw fans unless you are Atlanta. The Cubs seem to be able to draw no matter how bad they are.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21583
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby rob0417 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:01 pm

thanks. I was looking for something like, that I don't know why i didn't try espn. i was going crazy on MLB. I thought Boston would of been higher, since they had 226 consecutive sellouts. Also shocked that pittsburg had the 5 highest road avg attendence.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 447
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lesgrant » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Here are the %'s for capacity at home games

ChiCubs 98
Boston 97.2
SF 94.5
LAA 93.3
NYY 87.9
St.Louis 86.7
Houston 84.3
San Diego 83.3
LA Dodgers 79.4
Philadelphia 76.6
Washington 74.4
ChiSox 71.2
Seattle 70.4
Baltimore 67.2
Milwaukee 64.4
Texas 64.1
Detroit 63.1
Atlanta 62.9
Florida 62.7
Mets 61.3
Pittsburgh 60
Oakland 59.6
Cincinnati 57
Cleveland 56.8
Arizona 51.9
Minnesota 51.7
Toronto 48.9
Colorado 47.5
Kansas 42.5
Tampa 32.1
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Winning or a nice new park seems to draw fans unless you are Atlanta. The Cubs seem to be able to draw no matter how bad they are.


There are several interesting exceptions to the winning commensurate with attendance theory.

Chicago Cubs, as mentioned
Chicago WS – ideally they should be where the Cubs are and vice-versa
Atlanta – win consistently but fans have other priorities
SF – no Bonds for most of the season AND they didn’t make playoffs – season ticket holders?
Seattle - one of the worst teams in the league is almost on par with the AL Champions and both have relatively new ballparks
NYY – given that they played .500 ball the entire season, setting an all-time AL attendance record should be a shock to everyone who buys into this theory
Boston – I thought they sold out every game. Either way it’s a tricky stadium because it’s so small
Oakland & Cleveland are very low for teams that were eliminated in the last two weeks of the season
Image
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 705
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:45 pm

lesgrant wrote:[
NYY – given that they played .500 ball the entire season, setting an all-time AL attendance record should be a shock to everyone who buys into this theory
How do you figure .500? They won 95 games and were over .500 since July 1st.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21583
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby lesgrant » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
lesgrant wrote:[
NYY – given that they played .500 ball the entire season, setting an all-time AL attendance record should be a shock to everyone who buys into this theory
How do you figure .500? They won 95 games and were over .500 since July 1st.


I should have said much of the season. The mood in NYC was very negative towards them for most of the year, until the got really hot in August and September. Still, breaking an all-time record with the season that they had bucks the trend.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that their attendance has risen over the past three years while there has been a decline in reg season wins combined with earlier elimination in the playoffs. No one has an explanation has how that fits into this theory.

Similarly, why are the M's on par with the White Sox?
Image
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 705
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:58 am

I'm not going to waste a bunch of time in this thread since it wouldn't do any good anyway, but I have to correct something:

lesgrant wrote:How is it rude to clarify for National League fans that the Texas Rangers play in Dallas?


How can you clarify anything when you're wrong? Doesn't clarifying something mean to make it clear, as in right, or correct? Well, you didn't do that, you only spread false information.

The Texas Rangers do NOT play in Dallas.

Heck, they don't even play in Dallas County!

For the record, the Texas Rangers play ball in Arlington, Texas. It's a real city like any others. Has it's own government, schools, etc. 3rd largest city in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Located smack dab between Dallas and Fort Worth (several cities are in the same area, but Arlington is the only one of decent size) in Tarrant County.
Also, the population of Arlington is 355,000 and Fort Worth is 585,000, so it's not like it's Podunk USA with a population of less than a thousand or anything.

Just thought I'd make sure to clarify that fact. That is all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Oliver Perez » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:37 am

Madison wrote:I'm not going to waste a bunch of time in this thread since it wouldn't do any good anyway, but I have to correct something:

lesgrant wrote:How is it rude to clarify for National League fans that the Texas Rangers play in Dallas?


How can you clarify anything when you're wrong? Doesn't clarifying something mean to make it clear, as in right, or correct? Well, you didn't do that, you only spread false information.

The Texas Rangers do NOT play in Dallas.

Heck, they don't even play in Dallas County!

For the record, the Texas Rangers play ball in Arlington, Texas. It's a real city like any others. Has it's own government, schools, etc. 3rd largest city in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Located smack dab between Dallas and Fort Worth (several cities are in the same area, but Arlington is the only one of decent size) in Tarrant County.
Also, the population of Arlington is 355,000 and Fort Worth is 585,000, so it's not like it's Podunk USA with a population of less than a thousand or anything.

Just thought I'd make sure to clarify that fact. That is all.


Exactly... i was even thinking this as i read one of lesgrant's tirades. Isn't it even called "Ballpark in Arlington"?

But, i think this will be my first and only visit to this thread. lesgrant isn't really providing much of an argument here, he just types a lot of words and relies on insults. Eh. It's a debate that turned into an argument.

It's BASEBALL, people. Yes, i love it too, but it's no reason to get nuts and proclaim hatred of people.
Oliver Perez
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 816
Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:43 am

Oliver Perez wrote:
Madison wrote:I'm not going to waste a bunch of time in this thread since it wouldn't do any good anyway, but I have to correct something:

lesgrant wrote:How is it rude to clarify for National League fans that the Texas Rangers play in Dallas?


How can you clarify anything when you're wrong? Doesn't clarifying something mean to make it clear, as in right, or correct? Well, you didn't do that, you only spread false information.

The Texas Rangers do NOT play in Dallas.

Heck, they don't even play in Dallas County!

For the record, the Texas Rangers play ball in Arlington, Texas. It's a real city like any others. Has it's own government, schools, etc. 3rd largest city in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Located smack dab between Dallas and Fort Worth (several cities are in the same area, but Arlington is the only one of decent size) in Tarrant County.
Also, the population of Arlington is 355,000 and Fort Worth is 585,000, so it's not like it's Podunk USA with a population of less than a thousand or anything.

Just thought I'd make sure to clarify that fact. That is all.


Exactly... i was even thinking this as i read one of lesgrant's tirades. Isn't it even called "Ballpark in Arlington"?


It used to be. ;-D

Now it's called "Ameriquest Field". :-P
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:43 am

Oliver Perez wrote:
Madison wrote:I'm not going to waste a bunch of time in this thread since it wouldn't do any good anyway, but I have to correct something:

lesgrant wrote:How is it rude to clarify for National League fans that the Texas Rangers play in Dallas?


How can you clarify anything when you're wrong? Doesn't clarifying something mean to make it clear, as in right, or correct? Well, you didn't do that, you only spread false information.

The Texas Rangers do NOT play in Dallas.

Heck, they don't even play in Dallas County!

For the record, the Texas Rangers play ball in Arlington, Texas. It's a real city like any others. Has it's own government, schools, etc. 3rd largest city in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Located smack dab between Dallas and Fort Worth (several cities are in the same area, but Arlington is the only one of decent size) in Tarrant County.
Also, the population of Arlington is 355,000 and Fort Worth is 585,000, so it's not like it's Podunk USA with a population of less than a thousand or anything.

Just thought I'd make sure to clarify that fact. That is all.


Exactly... i was even thinking this as i read one of lesgrant's tirades. Isn't it even called "Ballpark in Arlington"?

But, i think this will be my first and only visit to this thread. lesgrant isn't really providing much of an argument here, he just types a lot of words and relies on insults. Eh. It's a debate that turned into an argument.

It's BASEBALL, people. Yes, i love it too, but it's no reason to get nuts and proclaim hatred of people.


If you're goint to attack the posters, at least notice that you need at least 2 for and 'argument.'
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact