The Curse of Jeters Contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Curse of Jeters Contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:52 pm

Fantasy Guru wrote:I just look at it this way.. as a SS, Jeter's production is great.

But not $19 million a year great.

The Yankees, although they possess unlimited funds, need to really think a bit more about how much they pay their players.

Kevin Brown at 15 million, right? Pavano and Wright at around 10.

St. Louis made one of the best signings this year. David Eckstein at 2.3 million. He hit .294, 8 homers, and like 70 rbi. That is what the Yankees should be searching for.

At the time, the Yankees signed Jeter for what they had to. There are always better values but he was always their captain, if not in name. I have also said that he should thank A-Rod because the timing of Jeter's contract was in between A-Rod's monster deal and the changing of the economics in MLB. Pavano and Wright are definitely overpaid but they needed starting pitching. I liked the Pavano signing but hated the Wright signing. Brown is 1 of the most overpaid pitchers in the league but that was just because they had to get rid of Weaver and that was all that they could get at the time. It turned out to be a terrible deal but Weaver couldn't stay in NY anymore.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:38 pm

Dun dun dun! Nice post, Hootie. Blame Jeter :-]
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 pm

It's more the curse of the Yankee pitching staff. All that money in hitting and no pitching. Yes I'm including 85 year old RJ.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby lesgrant » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:57 pm

Why is it that the Yankee-haters insist on dwelling on the fallacious supposition that money earned somehow should be commensurate solely with statistical production on the field?

It’s really stupid.

If you were to look at EVERY single player’s salary in the league you will find very few that are paid the appropriate amount, including those who are underpaid.

Since you want to obsess over money, the real question is if Jeter, as an asset to the Yankee corporation, is worth the 19 million per year? Does he make his salary back for the Yankees? Of course he does! In the exact same way the $200 million roster makes its money back. The thing the Haters always omit in this argument is that the Yankees can afford it because they are profitable BECAUSE they spend the big bucks, not in spite of it?

Did the Mets draw over 4 million fans this year?

Didn’t think so.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:16 pm

lesgrant wrote:Why is it that the Yankee-haters insist on dwelling on the fallacious supposition that money earned somehow should be commensurate solely with statistical production on the field?

It’s really stupid.

If you were to look at EVERY single player’s salary in the league you will find very few that are paid the appropriate amount, including those who are underpaid.

How many are paid $19 million when players of the same caliber make less than half of that? (Not a knock on Jeet as a player, just on the ridiculousness of his salary.)

Secondly, yes. Money earned should not commensurate solely with field production. I'd say about 96% of it should be what they do on the field, however. All the studies show that fans come to see teams that win. Win with nobodies, the fans start showing, and the nobodies become stars, lose with stars, the fans don't come, and the stars become nobodies. This is in the eyes of the casual fan, anyway.

A-Rod made $20 million per year in Texas. Spending money there didn't help Texas win ballgames; it didn't help them at the ticket office either.

lesgrant wrote:Since you want to obsess over money, the real question is if Jeter, as an asset to the Yankee corporation, is worth the 19 million per year? Does he make his salary back for the Yankees? Of course he does! In the exact same way the $200 million roster makes its money back. The thing the Haters always omit in this argument is that the Yankees can afford it because they are profitable BECAUSE they spend the big bucks, not in spite of it?

First of all, HOOTIE's not a Yankee-hater, as far as I know. He's as objective as they come. Secondly, I'm sure Jeter makes back a good amount of money, he is the team captain after all. The difference is that while it's true you have to spend money to make money, the Yankees spend such an inordinate amount of money that with a few not-so-wasteful moves they could probably double their profit. Or, at least, bring it up higher.

They also can afford it because George Steinbrenner has more money than most third-world countries.

lesgrant wrote:Did the Mets draw over 4 million fans this year?

Didn’t think so.

I don't see how any of this has to do with the Mets. Maybe it makes you feel better to bash them. but anyway...

NYM - 2,829,929, payroll ~ 100 million, or $35.34/fan
NYY - 4,090,696, payroll ~ 210 million, or $51.34/fan

So obviously, while the Mets didn't get as many fans, they did it with more efficiency relative to their payroll. In other words, the players earned back their salaries, and without a single $19 million contract on the team! (The Yanks have three, by the way).

EDITED BY LO
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:30 pm

DK.......I can't say that I agree with Les and I won't say that you should, either. I just ask that you not make anything that resembles a personal attack.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:41 pm

Lofunzo wrote:DK.......I can't say that I agree with Les and I won't say that you should, either. I just ask that you not make anything that resembles a personal attack.

Understood. I would have edited it had you not done so already.

I think that's the first time a moderator's had to edit my posts... I don't know if that says anything or not, just something I noticed.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:52 pm

DK wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:DK.......I can't say that I agree with Les and I won't say that you should, either. I just ask that you not make anything that resembles a personal attack.

I think that's the first time a moderator's had to edit my posts... I don't know if that says anything or not, just something I noticed.

No biggie. It wasn't terrible but it served no purpose there.
Lofunzo

Postby lesgrant » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:11 pm

DK wrote:
lesgrant wrote:Why is it that the Yankee-haters insist on dwelling on the fallacious supposition that money earned somehow should be commensurate solely with statistical production on the field?

It’s really stupid.

How many are paid $19 million when players of the same caliber make less than half of that? (Not a knock on Jeet as a player, just on the ridiculousness of his salary.)

Secondly, yes. Money earned should not commensurate solely with field production. I'd say about 96% of it should be what they do on the field, however. All the studies show that fans come to see teams that win. Win with nobodies, the fans start showing, and the nobodies become stars, lose with stars, the fans don't come, and the stars become nobodies. This is in the eyes of the casual fan, anyway.

A-Rod made $20 million per year in Texas. Spending money there didn't help Texas win ballgames; it didn't help them at the ticket office either.

lesgrant wrote:Since you want to obsess over money, the real question is if Jeter, as an asset to the Yankee corporation, is worth the 19 million per year? Does he make his salary back for the Yankees? Of course he does! In the exact same way the $200 million roster makes its money back. The thing the Haters always omit in this argument is that the Yankees can afford it because they are profitable BECAUSE they spend the big bucks, not in spite of it?

First of all, HOOTIE's not a Yankee-hater, as far as I know. He's as objective as they come. Secondly, I'm sure Jeter makes back a good amount of money, he is the team captain after all. The difference is that while it's true you have to spend money to make money, the Yankees spend such an inordinate amount of money that with a few not-so-wasteful moves they could probably double their profit. Or, at least, bring it up higher.

They also can afford it because George Steinbrenner has more money than most third-world countries.

lesgrant wrote:Did the Mets draw over 4 million fans this year?

Didn’t think so.

I don't see how any of this has to do with the Mets. Maybe it makes you feel better to bash them. but anyway...

NYM - 2,829,929, payroll ~ 100 million, or $35.34/fan
NYY - 4,090,696, payroll ~ 210 million, or $51.34/fan

So obviously, while the Mets didn't get as many fans, they did it with more efficiency relative to their payroll. In other words, the players earned back their salaries, and without a single $19 million contract on the team! (The Yanks have three, by the way).

EDITED BY LO

First of all DK, what EXACT studies are you referring to? I know of no such study that was conducted to find out why fans go to games. As we all know, you like to hold up numbers that support your prejudices without questioning how they were obtained. Please supply the link, given that there are numerous examples which contradict your homegrown, half-baked oversimplification of consumer behavior.

Secondly, you bring up Texas when any moron knows that Dallas is about football, not baseball. Always has been, always will be. Babe Ruth couldn’t draw baseball fans there on a consistent basis.

Thirdly, George Steinbrenner is not the richest man in baseball by far. He’s not the second, nor the third, nor the fourth. In fact, Fred Wilpon’s personal fortune is greater than that of Steinbrenner. So come back to reality. Unlike other owners in the league, baseball isn’t a side business for Steinbrenner, it’s the only business he’s in. And it burns you up that he breaks the bank to make your team look like the second-rate operation it is.

But by your metrics the JV team wins! But wins what? The title of most efficiently run baseball franchise in NYC? The only losers who obsess about this are people who have an ax to grind against the Yankees. You and I both know the Mets can’t compare to the Yankees on any level. To assert such is pure desperation.

It’s no surprise to find you shooting your mouth off on a thread which slights Jeter. Why do you even bother to sugar-coat your hatred with meaningless “nothing against Jeet” statements?

I love how you call him Jeet, like the two of you are long lost buds. Can you get any faker?
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:12 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
DK wrote:

No biggie. It wasn't terrible but it served no purpose there.

is there really any purpose to this thread? :-b just sounds like a yankee bashing thread to me.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers