Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:42 pm

and after this sexy ass wish list you have compiled for the Mets ... what will they really do? .

1B .. 49 year Julio Franco. Hey if it is good enough for the Braves its good enough for them. I can see them giving him 3-5 million a year for two years trying to "steal him" away ..

CL .. 48 year old 'Flash Gordon'. He wants to close and hey .. just by coincedence, they need a closer. Besides he can deal with the New York pressure just fine, right?

2B .. 47 year old Bret Boone. Are you kidding me? who can forget that homerun to launch the Yankees into the series only two years ago? what? Its not the same guy? Oh well clutch is in the blood right.

C .. 10 Million a year for Kendall. Sweet!! and all for the small price of Petit! What a deal!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:59 pm

Half Massed wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:If the Mets can not sign either Ryan or Wagner, what do Mets fans think about trading for Octavio Dotel? He is availabe, now that Street is their closer. Fresh off TJ surgery, he is a risk, but do you really want to see Looper close again? :-o
Dotel is a FA too. But I don't think he is that much better than Looper.

Dotel is a set-up man, plain and simple. If he couldn't survive as closer on the A's in a lower pressure situation, he won't do well in NY. I think getting a solid catcher like La Rue is not a bad idea for the Mets and I can see them getting Overbay as well. I doubt they'll get Morneau from the Twins, simply because the Twins need power in their lineup and he is a young power guy that should improve.

Don't forget that Dotel was injured pretty much the entire time he was with the A's. After all of his issues with injuries and blown saves, I think he could be had for a good price, and if he's fully healthy, then that could be a real bargain.

I agree that a deal for Overbay would make a lot of sense if Jacobs doesn't work out. I'm not sure if Trachsel would be quite enough, but the Mets have enough SP depth that I could see them working something out.

DK wrote:Trade Floyd (this hurts me more than it hurts you), Jacobs, and a prospect if necessary for Helton

While I do think it would be a good idea to trade Floyd while his value is as high as it will ever be (ditto for Jacobs), is Helton really that desirable? It seems clear that he's on the decline, and it's unclear how well he'd perform outside of Coors. Of course, I'm sure you've thought of this, so I'd be curious to hear your reasoning as to why you want Helton.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:48 pm

DK wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:Aaron Heilman needs to be given more responsibility.

He led the bullpen in innings this year. I don't see how we'd give him MORE responsibility.

Not entirely true. He only had 66 bullpen IP. :-?

I am interested to see what Minaya does because the Mets aren't really that far away but they better hurry. Their top 2 SP don't have many years left.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DK » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:57 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
DK wrote:Trade Floyd (this hurts me more than it hurts you), Jacobs, and a prospect if necessary for Helton

While I do think it would be a good idea to trade Floyd while his value is as high as it will ever be (ditto for Jacobs), is Helton really that desirable? It seems clear that he's on the decline, and it's unclear how well he'd perform outside of Coors. Of course, I'm sure you've thought of this, so I'd be curious to hear your reasoning as to why you want Helton.

Elementary, my dear Watson. ;-) While Helton's power is declining- I will be the first to say this- he brings to the table everything Mientkiewicz had, except about five times better overall. He's a veteran and a very good glove in terms of first basemen, which will bring leadership to a VERY young infield (Hernandez, Reyes, Wright) and stability at the "other" hot corner.

Offensively, while his power is down he is still an on-base machine. Away from Coors he still maintained a .418 on-base percentage, which is far better than anyone on the Mets this year (I believe Wright led the team with .394 IIRC). His power hasn't been strong outside of Coors since the days of 40-50 home runs (IE 2001 and before), but I have good faith that he still has the power to hit 20 overall in a season. His average this year away was only .287 but in every year preceding that it was above .300. With the exception of this year he's always hit at least 10 HR away from Coors, which I think will come back next year no matter where he is.

If Helton comes to the Mets he'd bring veteran leadership, 20 HR and a .420 OBP. That is reason enough in my mind. Trading Floyd now would be perfect (along with MJ) to give us the flexibility to sign Giles (another .420 on-base guy) and place Helton into the 1B slot.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DK » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
DK wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:Aaron Heilman needs to be given more responsibility.

He led the bullpen in innings this year. I don't see how we'd give him MORE responsibility.

Not entirely true. He only had 66 bullpen IP. :-?

True. I had forgotten he began the year as a starter for a brief moment. 66 innings out of the pen is still more than anyone but Hernandez, and rightfully so since Hernandez pitched much better this year.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:15 am

DK wrote:
JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:I'd be curious to hear your reasoning as to why you want Helton.

Elementary, my dear Watson. ;-) While Helton's power is declining- I will be the first to say this- he brings to the table everything Mientkiewicz had, except about five times better overall. He's a veteran and a very good glove in terms of first basemen, which will bring leadership to a VERY young infield (Hernandez, Reyes, Wright) and stability at the "other" hot corner.

Offensively, while his power is down he is still an on-base machine. Away from Coors he still maintained a .418 on-base percentage, which is far better than anyone on the Mets this year (I believe Wright led the team with .394 IIRC). His power hasn't been strong outside of Coors since the days of 40-50 home runs (IE 2001 and before), but I have good faith that he still has the power to hit 20 overall in a season. His average this year away was only .287 but in every year preceding that it was above .300. With the exception of this year he's always hit at least 10 HR away from Coors, which I think will come back next year no matter where he is.

If Helton comes to the Mets he'd bring veteran leadership, 20 HR and a .420 OBP. That is reason enough in my mind. Trading Floyd now would be perfect (along with MJ) to give us the flexibility to sign Giles (another .420 on-base guy) and place Helton into the 1B slot.

I'm convinced. I guess all the time I've spent with 5x5 Roto stats made me forget about Helton's insane OBP. I'd definitely agree that it's important to have a patient hitter who can get on base in a lineup whose core of hitters is so young.

Of course, part of the reason he's had so many walks in the past few years is that pitchers are pitching around him because the Rockies haven't had anyone to protect him. Then again, that means that even if he got fewer walks on the Mets, he'd probably be getting better pitches to hit, which would improve his overall numbers quite a bit.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:40 am

I've enjoyed this thread.

That's all. ;-D

I'm just interested to see what we actually do.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:06 am

Since Helton has been mentioned in this thread I guess I can bring this up. Why wouldn't the Rockies resign Helton or is the problem that you don't think he wants to go back? Wouldn't they lose all credibility with their fans if they lost their one legitimate threat in the lineup?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:02 am

Music2004Man wrote:Since Helton has been mentioned in this thread I guess I can bring this up. Why wouldn't the Rockies resign Helton or is the problem that you don't think he wants to go back? Wouldn't they lose all credibility with their fans if they lost their one legitimate threat in the lineup?

Helton is signed thru 2011 I believe.
The rest here is just some typical NY fans, wishfully dreaming about how to rape the other teams in baseball, and then blame it all on the Steinbrenner.
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:47 am

wrveres wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:Since Helton has been mentioned in this thread I guess I can bring this up. Why wouldn't the Rockies resign Helton or is the problem that you don't think he wants to go back? Wouldn't they lose all credibility with their fans if they lost their one legitimate threat in the lineup?

Helton is signed thru 2011 I believe.
The rest here is just some typical NY fans wishfully dreaming about how to rape the other teams in baseball, and then blame it all on the Steinbrenner.

LOL....funny man you are. :-b
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers