Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:47 pm

I'd rather a Piazza/Castro platoon than LaRue. I think Keppinger and Hernandez will be given a shot at 2B in spring training. Overbay would be nice but I'd also be fine with the Mets seeing if Jacobs is for real if they bring in another big bat. I don't see the Mets getting Morneau.

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Manny
Floyd

Would be a thing of beauty. Please, Willie. Nobody makes too much money to bat 2nd. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

r.e. Cristobal

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:50 pm

Apparently you dont get it... Manny has said numerous time he wants out of Boston... if the Bosox move his very large contract (Mets could afford him and he would want to be reunited with Pedro) The Bosox would then have money to sign B Giles .. Resign J Damon and make a move for A Huff.... Moving the HUGE contract would be the primary reason why Sox might make this move ...
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Iconoclastic » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:00 pm

Why move Reyes down to 8th? I think you're souring on him way too early. He's still very young, and I think he'll breakout either next year or the year after that into a batting title contender.

I don't think Jason LaRue is worth a good pitcher in his prime like Jae Seo. Victor Zambrano on the other hand, would be fair value...(Scott Kazmir for Jason LaRue :~( )

Aaron Heilman needs to be given more responsibility.

It wouldn't hurt to get a clutch closer.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:24 pm

Ricciardi has said Hudson won't be going anywhere.

If he wants to open up a spot for Hill, it will be at 3B.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Re: Response

Postby blankman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:34 pm

SonsofSlam04 wrote:As for Batting Manny 5. It would be done to break up left handed hitting C Floyd and either J Morneau or L Overbay who are also both left handed hitters. Of course against Right Handed pitchers it wouldn't matter - Manny would hit 4th ..

You don't play silly games like that with one of the game's best hitters. You really think the left/right breakup is worth having Floyd get more at bats and be up with more runs on than Manny Ramirez? I sure as hell don't.

As for Ryan, the Mets will face some stiff competition for his services. The other NY team should be going after him, hard.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Responses

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:45 pm

AmazinZ...R.e. Piazza .. As an avid Mets Fan .. I thank Mike Piazza for 7 years of hustle, pride, professionalism, and toughness. He certainly bought respectability back to the organization. When he gets voted into the Hall Of Fame I hope he wears a Met uniform. With that said, I dont think it would be a good idea to have him come back. He is very old for a catcher, he cannot throw and continues to get worse at the plate. Thank you Mike for everything, but its time to move on. As for Jacobs, the Mets are too close to be a winner to experiment with Jacobs, he could be good, he could also be another K Maas. As for 2B .. once again. I would not gamble with rookies Keppinger and Anderson - They are too close to being really good - they can and should get an established 2B.

Iconoclastic... R.e. Reyes. I am not down on J Reyes at all, I love his intensity, I love that he is home grown, I love watching him round second and head to third. He plays the game the way it ought to be played. With that said - J Reyes is a free swinger, this past years OnBase % was 300. By moving Reyes down in the order he can continue being agressive without the pressure of having to get on base. I dont believe J Reyes will ever contend for a batting title, he doesnt have the discipline! Just watch his approach. Finally I think J Reyes will be an exciting and productive ball player though.
As for giving up J Seo for J LaRue, you have to give something to get something in return. J LaRue for Seo would benefit both teams.
As for getting a closer... I would love to see them sign BJ Ryan 28 year old lefthanded closer, with a nasty streak and bulldog mentality. He would be a better investment than the 5 '9 oft-injured, 34 year old -B Wagner
MWeir45... r.e O Hudson ... Thats not good, that the Jays want to keep him, it messes up all my plans LOL ..
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Blankman

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:50 pm

As for where Manny hits ... I can understand your point .. As for the Yankees going out and outbidding everyone for BJ Ryan .. Doesnt Darth Steinbrenner ever learn.. You cant buy a championship .. LOL ..
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:44 pm

How can you say that the Steinbrenner will never learn but the Mets should disregard all of their young talent and bring in players from outside the organization? The Mets definitely need a big bat and that has to come from free agency or a trade. A lot of other deficiencies may be able to be filled from within the organization. If Jacobs and Keppinger/Hernandez don't work out the Mets will have the flexibility to fill those holes mid-season.

What does Hudson provide that can't be filled from within the organization? Nothing. The Mets have Matsui/Keppinger/Hernandez. And does LaRue make a big enough difference defensively to foreit Seo? Not in my opinion. A Castro/Piazza platoon may not be sexy but it's a lot more production from the catcher position than a lot of teams can claim.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:12 pm

You do realize that Reyes is very young and is likely to improve somewhat over the next 3 or 4 seasons until he reaches the so called prime years for major league hitters.

I don't really want Manny because of the defensive gaps we will have because of him. If the Marlins decide to get rid of Delgado I personally would much rather get him to play 1st.

If we get someone to play first who is a big bat then we can carry the Matsui/Hernanadez/Keppinger card at 2B. If we go with Jacobs (which won't hurt my feelings) then we have to improve at 2B. If Furcal is being serious then signing him will be nice. If you get Furcal I would start him at leadoff, and Beltran is a much better no 2 hitter than a no 3 right now (unless Manny, Delgado, big bat is behind him at no 4). Also if Jose's leg injuriesreturn next year then Furcal can play second and you have all those options at 2B still.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cameron back in RF for us next year, with Victor Diaz as the no 4. With Cliff Floyd you have to have someone as the no 4 OF who can be expected to play a lot of games.

I think we have to sign a closer, either Wagner or Ryan, and I prefer Ryan. Resign Looper as a righty setup man and keep Heilman for setup this year. Giving him another chance at closing if the closer gets hurt (if we get Wagner) The most options in the free agent market is in teh bullpen so we can sign what we want that way.

As far as Manny, if you take the full salary you don't give the Red Sox much in return, especially not Milledge. If they pay half you give them something but not Milledge. I am rather excited at seeing Milledge in the OF either late next year or early 2007
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: r.e. Cristobal

Postby Trot Nixon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:26 pm

SonsofSlam04 wrote:Apparently you dont get it... Manny has said numerous time he wants out of Boston... if the Bosox move his very large contract (Mets could afford him and he would want to be reunited with Pedro) The Bosox would then have money to sign B Giles .. Resign J Damon and make a move for A Huff.... Moving the HUGE contract would be the primary reason why Sox might make this move ...
ha
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers