Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rebuilding the New York Mets ... My ideas.. your thoughts?

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 pm

C - Trade some lower level prospects or a J Seo for to the Cincinnati Reds for C J LaRue ... The Reds have J Valentin who is ready to play everyday. Cincinnati could use help at SP. As for LaRue he is sound defensively and is just starting to hit better - together with Castro the Mets would have a strong defensive catching tandem.

1B - Trade for Minnesota's J Morneau or L Overbay (both left handed hitting, decent fielding 1B - Overbay edge defensively... Mets could move V Diaz and S Traschel (solid starter who doesnt make that much money) to Minnesota for J Morneau or to Milwaukee for L Overbay

2B - Trade for one or two lower level prospects for O Hudson. Toronto is said to be set on moving him so they can play A Hill at 2B. If they cant orchestrate a trade for O Hudson they can attempt to sign R Furcal - Furcal stated he would play 2B if the Mets would consider signing him. (Probably just driving up the price)

SS - J Reyes
3B - D Wright
LF - C Floyd
CF - C Beltran

RF - Trade for M Ramirez... Mets could move M Cameron, M Cairo - headsy ballplayer (Could replace Graffanino) and A Heilman... This move would free up money for the Bosox to pursue an A Huff or B Giles type player.

Starting Pitching
P Martinez
T Glavine
K Benson
V Zambrano
J Seo - maybe moved in a trade
J Petit

Bullpen
Sign BJ Ryan (Young lefthanded tough closer) Mets should forget about B Wagner (He is old and he is injury ridden, a big contract here would prove to be disastrous)
B Looper - Setup he performed well as a set up man for Ugie Urbina when they played for Florida
J Padilla - Did very well
R Hernandez - Oldie but a dandy - did very well
Trade Kaz Matsui to the west coast, preferably to the Mariners (Ichiro effect) The Mariners have a huge hole in the middle infield and can afford Matsui's salary. A fresh start away from the New York hype might result in being very beneficial for Matsui. In return the Mets get bullpen help either one of these pitchers Mateo, Villone or Putz preferably Villone - who seems to have come into his own.

Bench Players
C Woodward
M Anderson
M Jacobs
Trade D Mientkiewicz back to the American League - Baltimore would be a good spot for him - considering its a solid hitters ballpark and he wouldnt pressured to produce offensively. In return the Mets could get a low level prospect.
Trade K Ishi to the American League - His approach would be a better fit in the American League. Seattle, Arizona, San Diego and San Franscisco for bullpen help.

2006 Dream Lineup senario #1 - Hey a guy can dream
2B R Furcal 348 OBP
CF C Beltran
3B D Wright
RF C Floyd
LF M Ramirez
1B J Morneau or L Overbay
SS J Reyes 300 OBP
C J LaRue

2006 Dream Lineup senario #2 - still dreaming
SS J Reyes
CF C Beltran
3B D Wright
RF C Floyd
LF M Ramirez
1B J Morneau or L Overbay
C J LaRue
2B O Hudson (Borderline gold glove 2B) Reyes/Hudson Middle infield would be sick, add Beltran in center and LaRue at Catcher and the Mets would have an excellent up the middle defense.

If I were only the GM... Your thoughts -
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:16 pm

I love your idea of moving for Overbay and LaRue. I still think they should go after Posada, which would provide a much needed pop and leadership for the staff. I doub that the Mets will land Ramirez, but if they do he'd bat 3rd behind Beltran.

2B R Furcal
CF C Beltran
LF M Ramirez
RF C Floyd
3B D Wright
1B L Overbay
SS J Reyes 300 OBP
C J LaRue

You have some great ideas ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannyolbb » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:25 pm

Clearly, you've put a lot of thought into this. I also think you're making a lot of mistakes.

Where we disagree:

C- Sign Ramon Hernandez. There's no one coming up through the system, why not sign the best FA catcher on the market. Minaya isn't a great trader, anyway.

1b- Go with a Minky/Jacobs platoon. Jacobs has earned a chance and a platoon wouldn't be too bad until Jacobs fully matures. If money allows, I'd sign Konerko. Well, unless he wants an albatross contract.

2b- Stick with a Kaz Matsui/Anderson Hernandez platoon. Matsui has never shown the ability he showed in Japan, but this could be the year, right? If nothing else, Hernandez also deserves a shot.

As for the rest, I don't think Petit is ready for the majors. The Mets rushed Reyes and they get one less cheap year from him because of it. I wouldn't sign BJ unless he was completely affordable. As for the bullpen, I think BK Kim is a FA this year, and he's the classic low risk/high reward signing. I'd go after him hard. No one will take Ishii. Sorry. Not even my Giants will go after this particular veteran.

I think you should focus on continuing to build from within. You have a nice core. Give them time.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

r.e. DannyOllb

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:43 pm

This is why the Cafe is so great ! ... I respect your opinions but I also respectfully disagree ..

Ramon Hernandez ... awesome ability but will command a big contract and is always hurt. He is also not young early 30's. LaRue would cost less and is at least as good as R Hernandez defensively and not the health risk.

M Jacobs/D Mientkiewicz Platoon... M Jacobs had a nice run at the end of the year, but he could also be another K Maas. The Mets could win in 2006 - I would just prefer a regular starter at 1B ala Morneau or Overbay. As for Mientkiewicz he just cannot hit. He has little to no power and seemed overmatched by some of the NL's better pitchers.
K Matsui/A Hernandez Platoon... K Matsui - I have watched him since he goto the Mets and his mechanics and approach to the game are one step behind NL style type play. He needs a fresh start, move him while he still has some value - especially if you can get R Furcal or O Hudson
BJ Ryan Go after this guy hard... He is young, he is lefthanded, bulldog mentality - IDEAL Free Agent
As for BK .. He would not make it in NY - too much pressure. Picture a deer in headlights - LOL
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:53 pm

Good to see it's not just AL East fans who can dream.

You are never, in a million years, getting Manny for Cameron and Cairo. If Graf goes, we'll play Pedroia. Cairo isn't cheaper, or a better hitter, than Graf.

Our ownership might be dumb enough to offload ramirez, but even they'll ask more than that.

In any case, I don't think you need 'rebuilding.' A closer, a catcher and one more big hitter and you'll be there or very close.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby blankman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:04 pm

Just one thing, why the heck would Manny bat 5th behind Floyd?

That makes 0 sense.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:18 pm

blankman wrote:Just one thing, why the heck would Manny bat 5th behind Floyd?

That makes 0 sense.

That's the first thing I thought when I read through it. Manny is a 3 or 4 hole hitter basically on any team you put him on, no less the Mets. Floyd would probably get some great pitches to hit, but you can't move Manny into the 5th spot for any reason.

B.J. Ryan isn't as young as you made him sound compared to Wagner (Ryan's almost 30), but it's still a solid acquisition. I agree in that Wagner wants big money, and in his mid-30's, he's not worth it. Ryan would fit the closer role, and like you said, Looper would probably be a nice setup man to have.

Nice ideas with LaRue and Overbay. Hernandez is a better all around catcher, but LaRue isn't a bad backup plan if/when Piazza walks. I'd most likely rather have Overbay over Morneau right now for the Mets because of defense and asking price. I could see Overbay hitting doubles all day long in Shea also.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:28 pm

I think the mets should focus on dealing their surplus pitching and land a proven corner bat. It's also important to sure up that bullpen or let Heilman to just close. Overbay makes a nice fit in the met lineup I think. I'm looking forward to the mets landing Manny and Ryan.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Response

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:30 pm

The reason why I would think the Red Sox might move Manny for a package of Cameron, Cairo and Heilman would be more for salary dump reasons... Cameron is a gold glove type OF, Cairo is an experienced heads up type veteran who could haunt the Yankees in a spot. As for Heilman, he has proven extremely valuable in the bullpen as well as a spot starter. He has also experienced sucess in New York, something many pitchers have a hard time doing. If the Bosox would move Manny they could use the money they save on Manny for an A Huff and or B Giles. They would also get rid of someone who has openly asked out of Boston many times.. NO MORE distractions. Moving Manny would also allow them to have a better shot of resigning J Damon, so even though moving Manny would be a bad move by itself, it would help them improve in other areas.

As for Batting Manny 5. It would be done to break up left handed hitting C Floyd and either J Morneau or L Overbay who are also both left handed hitters. Of course against Right Handed pitchers it wouldn't matter - Manny would hit 4th ..
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cristóbal » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:32 pm

sorry to spoil the fun but the red sox wont trade manny for anything lee than their top prospects. (milledge, Criag Brazell)

it would be too stupid. mets fans dont seem to understand this concept...
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers