Yankees new manager unveiled!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yankees new manager unveiled!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees new manager unveiled!!!

Postby stomperrob » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:17 am

Yankees Announce New Skipper

New York (AP) After an early exit from this year's playoff picture, Yankees owner, the irascible George Steinbrenner, made an announcement today that stunned the NY media, and indeed stunned all of MLB.
Steinbrenner informed the gathered throng that he was re-hiring Billy Martin for his 6th term! Martin died in a car accident on Christmas Day, 1989 and was believed to have been interred in the Gates of Heaven cemetery in Valhalla, New York in a plot near Babe Ruth's.
Unbeknownst to the baseball world, the eccentric, and indeed egocentric Steinbrenner, in an act of subterfuge unprecedented in baseball history, had Billy Martin cryogenically frozen at a cost in
excess of $1,000,000 until such time as medical technology allowed, and the concurrent abysmal performance of the Yankees necessitated such drastic and desperate measures.
Martin played for the Yankees from 1950 until 1957 when he was ungraciously shown the door after being involved in a brawl in a nightclub along with drinking partners Mickey Mantle and Hank
Bauer. While playing for the Yanks, Martin was the World Series MVP in 1963. Subsequently he managed the Yankees a record 5 times between 1975 and 1988. He was fired 4 times and quit the
5th time. The reasons for his firings ranged from benching Reggie Jackson and calling both Jackson and Steinbrenner "liars"; punching out a marshmallow salesman; and once again being involved in a nightclub brawl. Martin won 4 Manager of the Year awards during his stormy career with several MLB teams.
The oft mercurial Steinbrenner, and even more mercurial Martin, have "enjoyed" a love/hate relationship for decades. When asked how long he expected Martin to be at the helm this time, the obtuse Steinbrenner replied in his usual bombastic fashion: "Until he gets me another World Series title, or until he pisses me off - whichever comes first".
When reminded of Martin's famous quote: "I've always said I could manage Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Hirohito. That doesn't mean I'd like them, but I'd manage them", Steinbrenner repiled
with a gleam in his eye and a sardonic tone: "Perhaps that too can be arranged".
When asked for his reaction to how he felt about all this, the uncommonly reticent, but still recalcitrent Martin retorted: "I can't believe the old son-of-a-bitch wouldn't let me lie in peace, but I'm proud as hell to be a Yankee again". When asked his opinion of how the game had changed, Martin rued the fact that Yankee superstar A-Rod makes more an hour than he made in his best year as a player.
BoSox management were called for comment and a source there upon promise of anonimity repiled: "If we can finally emerge from the curse of the Bambino, we can see our way through this futile and feeble attempt to buy yet another World Series. We'll go toe to toe with whoever that crazy old fart decides to dig up".
Calls for a response from the baseball Commisioner's office went unanswered.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Half Massed » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:21 am

Nice. :-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:39 am

Great :-b
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:53 am

damn I was like "what the hell how come I didn't hear about this earlier". anyways, it was a good one ;-D .
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:09 am

:-D Well I knew something was fishy if it was in General Talk.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:02 pm

LooseCannon wrote::-D Well I knew something was fishy if it was in General Talk.

exactly
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:06 pm

That's good. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Bad news though, I think I just heard a report on the radio that says George has just made the announcement that Martin has been fired and requests reimbersment for the freezing and revival costs.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:17 pm

Tavish wrote:Bad news though, I think I just heard a report on the radio that says George has just made the announcement that Martin has been fired and requests reimbersment for the freezing and revival costs.

Lol - I knew Martin wouldn't last long!
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:40 pm

So when Martin gets fired again does stein have the right to kill him again?

that'd be terrible
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk