Firefox bug - Help? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Firefox bug - Help?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:44 pm

I don't want to get into a long drawn on debate over IE and FF. If you're happy with FF that's great but it's a little too much to try and sell people on it. RSS feeds are far from complicated and can be easily integrated into IE via IE extensions. Did I just say extensions? Yes IE has supported extensions for years through COM and ActiveX and other technologies but it doesn't have the plugin culture that FF does. Anyhow the next installment of IE has the same stability and page rendering we've come to expect plus all of the features people prefer FF for.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:59 pm

Here are a couple websites to state my case. Again, Amazin's, I hear ya man, but I just can't agree that IE has anything on firefox... even IE 7.

http://www.forbes.com/2004/09/29/cx_ah_0929tentech.html?partner=tentech_newsletter

It's also PC World's product of the year and PC Magazine's Editor's choice.

Some of my favorite extentions, that IE doesn't support (other than annoying toolbars that install spyware on your machine) is a weather forecast right on the status bar, and built in controls for my media player when listening to music while surfing. CustomizeGoogle is an enhancement to the Google/Yahoo/Amazon/eBay/Dictionary.com/Wikipedia/and more toolbar that is built in. And this is cool... I replaced my Stop button on the browser with an icon of MC Hammer. Whenever I click the stop button on firefox, MC Hammer says "Stop!... Hammer time!"

Awesome.

But, my favorite extention by far is StumbleUpon. I have a simple button built into my browser that says Stumble! When I click it, I get whisked away to a random website on the internet... it can be totally random, or I can select favorite categories of interest to randomly choose from, but regardless, I have come across the greatest things of the internet by stumbling. It has changed the way I browse, along with Firefox itself.

Am I getting ridiculous or what? All I say, is give Firefox a try. There's no harm in it and I feared change too... but once I left IE behind, I never looked back.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:01 pm

Coppermine wrote:Am I getting ridiculous or what? All I say, is give Firefox a try. There's no harm in it and I feared change too... but once I left IE behind, I never looked back.

I will leave it at this, I have tried Firefox and Opera extensively. I have had to code support for both these browsers into applications. I have IE, FF, Opera and couple of lesser known browsers installed on several machines for development purposes. I am currently beta testing the new edition of Windows and Internet Explorer. My opinions have been formed after countless hours. I am not afraid of change just the herd mentality. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 pm

Hey, that's cool man.

What are your thoughts on Vista???
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:55 pm

Well the whole beta process was extremely frustrating at times and I absolutely hated it for awhile. But now that that has blown over I think it's very nice overall. From a technical standpoint a lot of the improvements are great. In some ways it's a bigger improvement over XP than XP was over the Win9x/ME series. The speed of the OS is absolutely amazing. The overhaul of Explorer is my favorite part of Longhorn and is something that I think most people will really like. All of the functionality of the shell is really condensed and easy to access. The new IE is great as well IMHO. It added all the features that FF user like (tabs, RSS, easy extensibly) with the stability and page rendering you've come to expect from MS. Another thing about Vista is that it now has a UNIX-like security architecture. This is going to please the purists but piss off the common user because the setup/usage is a little tricky. I'm not sure how much it will be changed before release. The UI interface is a nice improvement but they really reeled it in from the original plans so it won't be the major overhaul that people were expecting initially. Think that about covers it. !+)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:58 pm

I think it looks great. How about the whole Aero/transparency thing?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:01 pm

Can you get me the Vista Beta? Is it running on 64 bit platform?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Coppermine wrote:I think it looks great. How about the whole Aero/transparency thing?

Yeah that's all still there but it's very scaled back from the original designs. The current edition looks a lot more like Windows XP than anything just fancier. The whole Luna/Aero UI has changed a lot since Longhorn and Aero was just released in Vista B1. I expect that will change again before release.

acsguitar wrote:Can you get me the Vista Beta? Is it running on 64 bit platform?

Sorry but I cannot get you a copy. I am running it on a 32-bit system.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Amazinz wrote:.......stability.......you've come to expect from MS.

OK slightly out of context and edited, but I just had to laugh, sorry. O:-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:30 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Amazinz wrote:.......stability.......you've come to expect from MS.

OK slightly out of context and edited, but I just had to laugh, sorry. O:-)

I guess MS still can't shake the stigma earned during the 9x era. When you consider their current line of products they are incredibly stable and the benchmark by which everything else is compared. And no I don't own stock in MS but I wish I did. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk