Fraternities/Sororities - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fraternities/Sororities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:[However, saying that I shouldn't post here because I wasn't in a frat is pretty narrow-minded. I'll play along, though. Just so I can have the continued "privilege" of posting on this thread, I'll say that while I was in college, I was in one of the largest frats/sororities in the world - the United States Army.

That's not what I said so let's cut out the crap. You didn't post in this thread to participate you posted to shovel some elitist attitude that we obviously wouldn't be receptive to.

Well, I certainly took your comment in the same manner in which you took mine. Either we both misunderstood, or we both dislike people whose frat status was the opposite of ours.

Which do you think it is?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:00 pm

All I have to say is that I wrote this thread because I was wondering if other guys (maybe some tekes) are into fantasy baseball. I really thought it was clear. I just wanted that side stuff about fraternities to be its own thread. This was just a thought that I always wondered about. And if I wasn't clear. I joined TKE (the largest Fraternity/social group in the world...yup look it up) because I really liked the bros (who I met playing intramural flag football), but I was also interested in the networking for after college.
Last edited by bronxxbomber on Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:12 pm

I guess things really depend on the school.

At Hopkins its not that big of a deal; you don't need to be in a frat to go to parties or anything.

I decided not to join Freshman year, but this year I really realized that such a large number of my friends were already in Sig Ep, so I figured why not join and meet even more people with similar interests. So far, I'm having a great time; we handed out water to the runners at the 23rd mile of the Baltimore Marathon today, a pretty cool experience.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:32 pm

I don't really get the whole, "Buying friends" argument. All the money you put into the fraternity is given back to you through events. No one is buying anybody's friendship. Everyone is there to have a good time. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty much friends will everyone I meet. If they have a good time, and aren't complete dicks, they're fine by me.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:12 am

Ok here are my arguments against frats and sororities.

I never Wanted to pledge but I'd try to be cool with the frat kids. However, 9/10 of them were totall idiots.

Rich, Snobby, all dressed the same, all acted the same. Always drunk and selling prescription pain killers.

So if I have a bad view of frat kids its because the majority I have met are total losers..

however, this may just be at the college I went to which was heavily southern.

Most kids in the frats were from the south.

Sorority girls are much the same. Most are super dumb and mostly concerned with popularity. However, most girls are like this anyways.

I have buddies in frats up north and they seem way more normal. But anyways frats these days and sororities don't really give off the appearance of being good community involved citizens. In fact they look quite the opposite.

As for bonding? I have lots of friends that I am super close with and I didn't have to pay dues or drink KY jelley and wiskey out of a shoe to achieve it.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:27 pm

It must just be where you live. I live up north, and we don't dress the same, aren't snobby, and don't sell prescription drugs.

As for community involvment, I have to do 20 hours of Community service a semester. I'm sure the average of a college student is more in the range of 1....maybe 2 hours. And, at our school, greeks represent 8% of the student body, but the alumni give back close to 20% of the donations that the school recieves.

I still don't really understand your argument though. Since the majority of the fraternity guys you met were idiots, than all greeks are idiots? That makes no sense. Some people are just a-holes. Usually a-holes cluster together. At your school, they apparently just cluster at the fraternities.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rob0417 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:23 pm

To me its definitly a school by school thing. If I went to aces school, I definitly wouldn't of pledge, but the guys at my school were cool, so I figured why not. By the way I pledged alpha phi delta.

It does seem to me that a lot of schools are doing away with the greek system now. My cousin just started colledge and he said almost all the schools he looked at didn't have greeks on campus anymore.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:44 pm

I'll let this thread stay open if you guys stop taking shots at each other.

Frats get a really bad rep, sometimes deservedly so - at my undergrad university they were actually banned.

On a side note I wonder why the whole greek letter thing exists - kinda wierd. On a tangent from the side note - I always wanted to go to St. Francis Xavier Uninversity (a Nova Scotia university) just so that I could go to their football games and hold up a sign saying "Go STFU". I guess it should be STFxU but I don't think anybody would mind. :-B
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:51 pm

yeah, i think it has to be a region thing. i know for show that at some chapters that we had in Xavier definitely ran things different then at Temple. On a side not, anyone else pledge around the Philly area (UPenn, Villanova, Temple, Drexel, even Rutgers)?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:32 pm

I pledged IPT or I PHELTA THIGH at Temple if that helps. :-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk