Chone Figgins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chone Figgins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:28 pm

davidmarver wrote:The problem with Figgins is that it makes you overly dependent on him to produce seemingly an entire category: an injury would be crippling.

That said, I can still see him being a 3rd round pick, although I think 3b and 2b will be much deeper next year than in years' past.

I agree, although I wouldn't take him till maybe late in the 3rd round. You can grab cheap speed later in the draft if you need to. Don't overpay early.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:31 pm

I think you guys are overrating Figgins. Maybe it's the terrible postseason making an impression on me, but I don't see any reason why he should come closer to this year than 2003 next year. I think he'll go around .290 100 5 50 40. Not bad, but not 3rd rounder.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsjerk » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:15 pm

I don't know, I tend to have a problem with guys who are primarily speed guys. Very, very few can continue to run at that pace. I mean look at Pierre, lots of steals, runs, BA, now he's almost a bust because he injured his leg and the steals dropped. I'd say 4th-5th round for Figgins. If he's healthy it's a steal, if he has any nagging injuries, it could sink you.
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:26 pm

sportsjerk wrote:I don't know, I tend to have a problem with guys who are primarily speed guys. Very, very few can continue to run at that pace. I mean look at Pierre, lots of steals, runs, BA, now he's almost a bust because he injured his leg and the steals dropped. I'd say 4th-5th round for Figgins. If he's healthy it's a steal, if he has any nagging injuries, it could sink you.

Exactly. These speedy guys often come out of nowhere and you can get them for nothing. If they stop running, you can't even trade them.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Half Massed » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:53 pm

I'd take him in the early 4th round, although i have a feeling most will take him earlier.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Figgins

Postby Ballwreckers » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:40 am

When I look at Figgins, I just don't see not just a guy that can steal, but a guy that can help me in 3 catagories (SB,R,AVG) He seems like a guy that is consistant and can play virtualy anywhere if asked. I say he is more valuable than a pierr or a Podsednik just becase he has a little more power than those two. I would even rank guys like furcal and rollins over those two guys just because they have some pop in their bats.

I also hear ppl say take speed later on, but where does that get you? Guys like Dave Roberts, Freel, and Gathright either get hurt, can't get any real play time, or just plain one dimensional. I am not saying take these guys early(like 1-3rd round early) but if they are there in the mid rounds I'd say they pick one up. The other thing is don't become total depend of one speedster..it just doesn't work and I have seen that fail over and over again.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hersch223 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:24 pm

One thing I did at the end of this season was to write down what it takes to win each of the five offensive categories, (R, HR, SB, RBI, AVG). Then I took players and found which ones give you the biggest percentages from each category. It's a way of seeing which players contribute the most over all five categories.

Figgins ended up third overall. I'm not saying I'd take him as the third hitter overall, but the contributions he makes are in more than just stolen bases. That, combined with the position flexibility make him a real nice option I think.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:47 am

I'm actually hoping that his struggles during the playoffs will drop his price alittle bit so I can have a chance to get him next year. I know it's only a small sample size but more people are watching because it's the playoffs so I'm hoping his struggles are magnified.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:55 am

3rd round
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:41 pm

It looks like Chone will finally get the respect he deserves next season. I was of the firm belief that he was SEVERELY underrated coming in to this year, and it turned out to be correct (Beltran, my other money pick on the other hand......).

I will probably not be drafting him next year as he'll likely go a little before I'm willing to take him, but, I won't hesitate to grab him in the late 3rd or early 4th round. I expect him to be gone by then in most leagues, however.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers