Mets Salary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Mets Salary

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets Salary

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:18 pm

I was listening on the radio and someone mentioned that the Mets were stilling paying Mo Vaughn. Just got me thinking about Bobby Bonilla then. So is there a website breaking down a team's salary?
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets Salary

Postby DK » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:I was listening on the radio and someone mentioned that the Mets were stilling paying Mo Vaughn. Just got me thinking about Bobby Bonilla then. So is there a website breaking down a team's salary?

I'm pretty sure the radio is wrong. The Mets payed off their debt to Vaughn and a ton of it was picked up by insurance. The Mets got off pretty well salary-wise but the insurance company got rocked. It led to the unofficial rule of not insuring contracts longer than three years, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure our payroll is hovering somewhere around 85-90 million although with Piazza off the books this year some of that will open up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:56 pm

Bobby Bo. :-b

Didn't they cut him and defer his salary over the next 20 years or something?? :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:19 pm

The Mets did end up paying a very small portion of Mo's contract. To put it in perspective the Angels ended up paying twice as much for Appier. But the money that the Mets were still on the hook for was deferred money to begin with. So yes techinically the Mets are still paying him and it works out to something like this:

2006 $3.75M
2007 $5M
2008 $5M

There is some confusion because the Mets paid nothing in 02, 03, 04, because all of that money was picked up by insurance. So the Mets ended up paying ~14M for Mo but it hasn't been paid yet although it was accounted for in 02 so it's not a big deal. Cedeno's deferred money kicks in this year too. It's like 800K per year over the next three seasons.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets