NLCS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

NLCS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NLCS

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:24 pm

Well, now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, I feel a little better given Carp's outing last night. He didn't have anything close to his good stuff and he grinded out 8 strong innings minus one pitch to Burke, and that pitch wasn't a real mistake, just a little up, but it was inside half. I still think they absolutely have to have Game 2 tonight because I really don't want to go back to HOU 1-1 for three games there and having to face Clemens on Saturday and I'm assuming Pettite on Sunday or Monday, especially with the bullpen as bad as it's been lately. :-o Hopefully they can steal one in HOU this year, and be able to clinch in Game 6 and use Game 7 as a safety. The offense looked great, I just hope that someone can stay hot behind Pujols, though he really didn't do much last night, but I'm not really worried since they still pitched around him even with Sanders batting 4th. The defense was superb as usual, especially Grudzielanek with team record 7 assists. 8-o Obviously I'd love to have Rolen back, but Nunez made the plays he had to last night -- throwing out Ensberg at the plate, making a couple of nice catches on short hops in the first and fifth I think it was -- so I'm not as worried there as most people seem to be. Overall, I still think the Cards take it, but with the bullpen in the shape it is, if the starters don't go deep, it's gonna be a wild ride. O:-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:32 pm

I know this goes without saying, but Game Four will probably the key game to the series*. It's supposed to be Backe vs. Suppan. If we can't get to Backe, then we'll have a much harder time winning this because it could potentially be two helpings of Pettite, Oswalt, & Clemens.

:-o

Although, a walk-off Edmonds HR in the bottom of the 12th of Game Seven wouldn't bother me too much?

O:-)

* - Maybe that doesn't go without saying, but as a tennis player, this line of thought it all too common as it's been crammed down my throat since I first touched a racket: In a first-to-X series, the most important game of the series is always the same number as the number of games needed to win the competition. For instance, in a set of tennis, the most important game is always the 6th game of the set.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby free » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:21 pm

seriously what is the deal with this bullpen :-o
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:54 am

free wrote:seriously what is the deal with this bullpen :-o

Marquis looked........good? :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:38 am

You will hear this from me multiple times over the next week, and, hopefully, the week after that: I hate this bullpen.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:54 am

Well, it's not the result we were looking for obviously, but you have to admit that this series definitely lived up to the hype. ;-D The pitching for both sides (especially Oswalt 8-o) was amazing and the Cards more than held their own. Much like the WS last year if they could have generated any sort of offense outside of the three hole they could have easily won the series, but I'm not complaining considering the pieces they did(n't) have to work with.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals