Mariners Fans: Will R. Soriano be starting for you next year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners Fans: Will R. Soriano be starting for you next year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:26 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:I've heard of him as their future closer for a while now. Who knows. If Guardado doesn't return and Soriano proves himself healthy, maybe he'll be in the mix next year.

That's what I'd always heard about him as well. I've never heard any talk of him moving to the rotation. :-?

He actually came through the minors as a starter, and he started a few games when he first got to the bigs. Then they decided he'd be better in the bullpen. I haven't heard any talk of him going back to the rotation...

Yep. I definately think Soriano is going to be in the mix for the closer job. Even if Guardado stays (which I don't think he will) Soriano will still be there. The M's have always liked him in the bullpen.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:40 am

Soriano is likely to stay in the pen, probably set up Guardado in '06 while test-driving his rebuilt arm, then close in '07.

Mariners will turn down their option on Eddy; he'll turn around and take his (I understood it was actually $4.5M).

There was some talk around the organization toward the end of the season about having Soriano move back to the rotation next year (Moyer's a FA and Piniero and Meche are in shambles, leaving them with only Felix as a sure item), but Soriano apparently asked to remain in the pen.

If I'm wrong on Guardado and he bolts, Soriano will still probably work set-up for part of the season (Putz? - not sure) but take over midway through.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:12 am

If I was the M's, with all of the instability in the rotation (maybe losing Moyer, Meche and Piniero) and the stability in the bullpen with Guardado at the end, I might return him to his original job as a starter and see how things go. I guess we'll just have to wait for spring training on this one.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Jury » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:37 pm

Music2004Man wrote:If that's the case it looks like the decision is up to the M's. He had a good year last year and if they don't pay him the 6.5 I don't think he'll settle for 3.5. It would seem to be in his best interest to be a FA, though there are a fair amount of closers on the market this year. I still believe he should be able to do better than better 3.5 on the open market.

If he were to hit the open market and there were a lot of other closers, I would have to think his chances of being signed as a "left in the bullpen" as opposed to as closer may increase.. :-?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:40 am

Music2004Man wrote:If I was the M's, with all of the instability in the rotation (maybe losing Moyer, Meche and Piniero) and the stability in the bullpen with Guardado at the end, I might return him to his original job as a starter and see how things go. I guess we'll just have to wait for spring training on this one.

Not really likely, even if you get by that he has said he likes the bullpen more. Right now I doubt they want to push him and give him lots of innings after coming back from TJ. Not just cause it would be rushing him back, but because Soriano has had quite a few injuries and not many feel he would be able to hold up with a big workload. Also he really doesn't have a 3rd pitch to be able to start, basically everything about him is more suited towards bullpen work.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:49 am

hybrid wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:If I was the M's, with all of the instability in the rotation (maybe losing Moyer, Meche and Piniero) and the stability in the bullpen with Guardado at the end, I might return him to his original job as a starter and see how things go. I guess we'll just have to wait for spring training on this one.

Not really likely, even if you get by that he has said he likes the bullpen more. Right now I doubt they want to push him and give him lots of innings after coming back from TJ. Not just cause it would be rushing him back, but because Soriano has had quite a few injuries and not many feel he would be able to hold up with a big workload. Also he really doesn't have a 3rd pitch to be able to start, basically everything about him is more suited towards bullpen work.

Well said. He did have that dominant season as RP in 2003 [53IP 68k .79 Whip and .179 BAA]. There's just too much incentive to leave him in the pen where he's less likely to get hurt and just flourish.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:51 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
hybrid wrote:

Well said. He did have that dominant season as RP in 2003 [53IP 68k .79 Whip and .179 BAA]. There's just too much incentive to leave him in the pen where he's less likely to get hurt and just flourish.

Good point, he did have that really dominating year as a RP in 2003. I also didn't realize that he didn't have a third solid pitch so it sounds like the bullpen is the place for him. I was just looking for a sleeper (wishful thinking).
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers