Postby Cryptic » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:28 am

Will he be the Sox closer next year?

What's the word out of Sox Nation?
Cryptic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:58 am

I doubt it. If Foulke's healthy, he closes. If we sign another established reliever, he'll be ahead of Craig too. There's a possibility Hansen wins the job if Foulke never gets it back and no-one else steps up either. Hansens' good, but he's not quite Huston Street. He'll start the season in AAA in all probability.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:03 am

foulke will and should be given every opportunity to get his stuff back together next year.... if for some reason foulke fails again, then i could see hansen given a shot come next summer sometime... but the sox by no means should throw foulke away for this year, as he has been great in the past and should be given a chance to return to his old self
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:42 am

Foulke might actually be a good sleeper late in the draft since a lot of people seem to be doubting him. He's never been a power pitcher if I remember correctly because he has a great changeup. Hopefully he'll rebound and age similarly to Hoffman :).
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BritSox » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:51 am

Music2004Man wrote:Foulke might actually be a good sleeper late in the draft since a lot of people seem to be doubting him. He's never been a power pitcher if I remember correctly because he has a great changeup. Hopefully he'll rebound and age similarly to Hoffman :).

True. Although the team he plays for is a factor, as with every injured BOS/NYY player.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:57 pm

Very good point Brit and I don't think he has a long injury history so he probably won't be as undervalued as I would like him to be.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Surfs up » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:52 pm

My guess is Hansen could stay in the bullpen and get some innings. Foulke probably starts the season but I think he is toast and the Red Sox sign a pitcher with some expirence to help Timlin until Hansen is ready. Scott Eyre maybe. Or possibly even Papelbon.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 194)

Postby Half Massed » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:58 pm

He may be worth an ending round pick in a deep league if you find yourself short on reliable closers. More than likely, he won't have any value this next year though. If the Sox are in a tight race I don't see them handing the job to Hansen if Foulke fails.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:08 am

I hope Papelbon gets a shot. I haven't seen Hansen much, but Papelbon has impressed me.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:49 am

Just conjecture on my part but this is how I see it shaking out.

First of all, Papelbon won't be in the bullpen, he'll be a starter, and a surprisingly good one at that.

As for Hansen, I highly doubt he starts in AAA. He very well may but I just don't see it. Depending on what happens with Timlin or if they sign another set-up man, Hansen could be the set-up guy. The closer's role is Foulke's---he's reportedly excited about coming back next season healthy with an eye on becoming a solid closer again.

Now here's where it gets interesting. When they get to the trade deadline, if Hansen is looking like the closer-in-waiting everyone deems him to be, they could be looking at a Lidge-Dotel scenario where, if they can get a nice package in return, they trade off Foulke and promote Hansen to closer. But again, that would only be if they can get a very attractive deal for Foulke AND feel Hansen is ready.

I would say the safest bet is, depending on if Timlin comes back or they sign another set-up guy, to look for Hansen to be the 7th inning guy and cut his teeth there or possibly even the set-up to Foulke.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers