Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:Aside from the Brewers, I read an article from the Toronto Star regarding a Justin Morneau/Corey Koskie swap that the writer termed "a deal that he (Riccardi) will try to complete, sooner rather than later". I haven't heard anything on the Twins end though, or how legit the idea is overall.

This doesn't make much sense to me. If the Twins wanted Koskie they would have signed him. Why would they give up a great young player to reaquire him?

I've read about that rumour as well, though I doubt it is really a legitimate one.

However, I am pretty sure that Ricciardi will do his best to trade Koskie over the winter.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:43 pm

The Brewers are getting a jump in 10 mil. of payroll? Do they have any expiring contracts? Cause they could make a run at Millwood, or someone similar. I like them a lot next year, with Sheets, Capuano, and Davis in that rotation, pretty solid 1-3, add in a #2 like a Barry Zito type, and they're in business.

I wonder if they could swing a deal for Oliver Perez? Do they have anyone in the minors that they'd trade for him?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:11 pm

brandnew wrote:The Brewers are getting a jump in 10 mil. of payroll? Do they have any expiring contracts? Cause they could make a run at Millwood, or someone similar. I like them a lot next year, with Sheets, Capuano, and Davis in that rotation, pretty solid 1-3, add in a #2 like a Barry Zito type, and they're in business.

I wonder if they could swing a deal for Oliver Perez? Do they have anyone in the minors that they'd trade for him?

Yes, they're going from about 40 mil to a little above 50 mil, I would guess Melvin would get the flexibility to go to about 55 mil if need be. The problem is much of that 10-15 mil of added payroll will have to go towards our own players. Brady Clark is due arbitration, Lee is due a raise if we pick up his 8.5 mil option, Tomo Ohka figures to net about 4 mil (up about 1.5) in arbitration, and Overbay will jump a couple mil too. I figure Lyle is gone. So, I think after paying our own guys, we'll be sitting at like 45 mil, leaving us with 5 to possibly 10 to spend. As such, I think the Millwood types would be out of our range. Washburn is a possibility if he gives us a hometown discount (unlikely given that he's a Boras client) and signs for 7-8 mil per. Something like 3 years/24 mil (7-8-9) or 4 yrs/32 mil (7-8-8-9).

I agree the addition of a quality #2 is the goal, b/c Capuano and Double D are ideal 3/4 pitchers. I think it will have to come in trade though. The Brewers are very deep in the minors, so I would think they could deal prospects if need be (for example, they have 4 upper level OF prospects, and they still have Lee/Jenks/Clark in the bigs). However, I don't think they want to mortage the future stability they're trying to build to add one player.

In all, I trust Melvin, he's been great. He's turned waiver claims into stars (Turnbow), and into tradebait (Kolb, Podsednik). Now's the season where fans want to see him step beyond waiver claims and trash heap picksup and make a serious move. Maybe they deal Lee for some bigtime pitching? I don't know, but it will be intersting.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby brandnew » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:40 pm

Dealing Lee right now wouldn't be that bad of a move. His year really tailed off, and he ended up with a rather bad OPS. IIRC it was just above .800? I bet they can get a pretty good pitcher if they trade him. Bright future ahead, hopefully Overbay gets traded so Prince can lock up the 1B job.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:12 pm

brandnew wrote:Hm, what calibur hitter you think they'd be going after with Zito. Example?

As ironic as it may sound, I think a guy like Jose Guillen. Another guy that came to mind is Willy Mo Pena, although I'm not sure whether the Reds would be willing to part with him for 1 year of Zito. Although you would think a contract extension would be on the cards if the trade would be made so you never know. The Reds really do need pitching. Although if Griffey is traded Pena will become a full time player so this might not even be an option.

The only other right handed bat I thought of was Carlos Lee but he may be out of the A's price range, aswell as the Brewers need to keep that offense intact.

I'm interested to hear any other suggestions you guys could come up with......
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Amazinz, DK: Could you guys foresee a deal involving Zito for Cameron in some form or another?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby brandnew » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:24 pm

Lee for Zito? I think the A's would be losing out big time on that one... Lee's a FA after the year, too, and only sported a .811 OPS last year. But, that would work out VERY well for the Brewers, who could re-up Zito, and have a sick 1-2 with Sheets/Zito... that would work out very nicely for them.

Guillen's a FA after the year I believe, too... doesn't seem logical IMO. Any chance they re-sign Zito?

How about a deal for Kearns? Maybe like, Kearns and Claussen for Zito and Calero.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:25 pm

RynMan wrote:Amazinz, DK: Could you guys foresee a deal involving Zito for Cameron in some form or another?

Cameron has a very limited no-trade. Guess who's on it? For some reason he doesn't want to play in Oakland. I would love it if he changed his mind.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:35 pm

brandnew wrote:Lee for Zito? I think the A's would be losing out big time on that one... Lee's a FA after the year, too, and only sported a .811 OPS last year. But, that would work out VERY well for the Brewers, who could re-up Zito, and have a sick 1-2 with Sheets/Zito... that would work out very nicely for them.

Guillen's a FA after the year I believe, too... doesn't seem logical IMO. Any chance they re-sign Zito?

How about a deal for Kearns? Maybe like, Kearns and Claussen for Zito and Calero.

Agreed with all that you said there nizzle. You would think Billy would be looking long term if he was gonna trade Zito. That's why Pena seems like the best possibility. I doubt he would go for Kearns....well I know that I wouldn't.

I doubt that they will re-sign him....they need a bat and they can't get it off FA this offseason.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby brandnew » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:10 pm

Why Wily Mo, though? I don't know... I think they can do better than him.

How about to the Braves for some pitching 'spects, or Marte? :-D

... stupid Eric Chavez.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers