Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:02 am

SD has 2 big FA in the off-season, Hoffman and Giles. Whatever happens with those 2 will dictate the rest of their moves.
Towers seems fine with letting Hernandez walk and playing Olivo. There is no reason to trade one of their great and cheap MR for Estrada. Not going to happen. Ausmus FA signing maybe but I would be really surprised if he didn't resign with the Astros.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:36 am

BritSox wrote:I heard an Ausmus to the Pads rumor WV, think there might be any truth in that?

there is always potential for Ausmus coming back since he still lives here, but I would say it is 75/25 that he stays in Houston
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby stumpak » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:56 am

Slightly off topic, but: wrveres, where do see Nady landing next year considering the Padres look to be set for a signficant reshuffle? Is consistent PT in the cards?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:57 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:SD has 2 big FA in the off-season, Hoffman and Giles. Whatever happens with those 2 will dictate the rest of their moves.
Towers seems fine with letting Hernandez walk and playing Olivo. There is no reason to trade one of their great and cheap MR for Estrada. Not going to happen. Ausmus FA signing maybe but I would be really surprised if he didn't resign with the Astros.

i agree,,, the braves and most teams would love to get linebrink but with olivo in mix for next year, the padres really have no need for another catcher even if they dont resign hernandez.... but the padres will have to replace giles bat if for some reason they dont resign him.....

the big question for the pads is will towers leave to go to the dbacks like has been rumored some this week.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:00 pm

I think the Brewers offseason will be an interesting one to follow. This is a team approaching relevance for the first time since 1992. Hell, they were a better team than the playoff Padres this year. The talk is that they're looking to improve the pitching, with a #2/#3 type starter being the priorty. Although payroll is expected to increase by over 10 million, that probably wouldn't be enough to chase the worthwhile FA pitchers out there (Burnett, Millwood, Morris, etc). Jarrod Washburn has supposedly expressed interest in playing for his hometown team, but I think he'll ultimately chase more money (esp. as a Boras client). As such, I think the Brewers will have to trade for a pitcher, and Melvin has certainly had no problem making deals. The obvious bargaining chip is Lyle Overbay, who has been linked in the past with trade rumors to the Mets and Red Sox, amongst others. Who's interested now, I'm not sure. This writer apparently thinks the Pirates are interested http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05282/585246.stm. I really don't know yet.

Aside from the Brewers, I read an article from the Toronto Star regarding a Justin Morneau/Corey Koskie swap that the writer termed "a deal that he (Riccardi) will try to complete, sooner rather than later". I haven't heard anything on the Twins end though, or how legit the idea is overall.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:11 pm

I think Overbay is a good option for the Mets. I'd like to believe that Mike Jacobs is as good as he looked at the end of this season but who knows. If pitching is what the Brewers want than that might be a very real possibility.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Aside from the Brewers, I read an article from the Toronto Star regarding a Justin Morneau/Corey Koskie swap that the writer termed "a deal that he (Riccardi) will try to complete, sooner rather than later". I haven't heard anything on the Twins end though, or how legit the idea is overall.

This doesn't make much sense to me. If the Twins wanted Koskie they would have signed him. Why would they give up a great young player to reaquire him?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:34 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think Overbay is a good option for the Mets. I'd like to believe that Mike Jacobs is as good as he looked at the end of this season but who knows. If pitching is what the Brewers want than that might be a very real possibility.

Amazinz, who do you think the Mets could send the other way for Overbay?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:00 pm

It's really tough to speculate right now. It will come down to how desperate the Mets are and how much faith they have in Jacobs. Other than Cammy their MLB trading chips lye in the surplus of good but not great pitching. Do they have to use any of that surplus to bring in a big bat? Do they increase there surplus by courting someone like Burnett? So much is going to change between now and the signing period I have no guess. Although if I was in charge I'd send you Ishi for a case of the Beast. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:This doesn't make much sense to me. If the Twins wanted Koskie they would have signed him. Why would they give up a great young player to reaquire him?

It made no sense to me either, but apparently (according to the article) Minnesota wasn't happy that they lost Koskie to the Twins, and that people in Minnesota blame their missing of the playoffs on his absence from the clubhouse. Toronto evidently may start Aaron Hill at 3rd and can afford to unload Koskie and his contract. Again though, this was a Toronto piece, so I have no idea where Minnesota actually stands on it. It's just a rumor obviously.

Amazinz wrote:Although if I was in charge I'd send you Ishi for a case of the Beast. :-D

C'mon now, we can do better. Case of Leinie's, or Miller at worst. Beast?

Seriously though, I could see the Mets being a good fit. I'm not sure though what the Mets could give in return. Personally, I'd be interested in Petit, but realisitically I don't know that Overbay could net Petit (although who knows, the Mets did deal Kazmir for Zambrano). I also like Aaron Heilman, which I think may be more realistic.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers