Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:37 pm

What a freaking idiot. I'll take the evaluation of the first 162 games of the season over the last 5.

With that pitching, I'm not so sure the Yankees even sniff the playoffs this year without ARod. He was an absolute beast this year. It's not like the Yankees just strolled into the playoffs with a 15 game lead. It came down to the last week. Don't act like the Yanks can "easily" get to the postseason, and they should ONLY get guys who produce in the postseason. It's a crapshoot, a period of 20 AB's, and depends on whether the hitter is hot or not at the time.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:52 pm

A shame that this had to turn into another A-Rod argument.

I don't have any trade rumours really, but speaking as an A's fan I have looked thoroughly through this year's crop of free agents and there is no solid Right Handed power bats on that list - which is what the A's have publicly expressed interest in - well, any that they are likely to land. Konerko will likely be snatched up by the Angels or Mets, Billy won't sign Piazza.

Which leads me to the conclusion that Zito will be traded this offseason to acquire the hitter that they need. His stock is high, not alot of solid starters on the market this offseason, this is his last year under contract.

The way Haren, Blanton and Saarloos threw last year was way above expectations. Add Kennedy into the mix along with Harden the ace and there is your rotation. I wouldn't feel comfortable going into 06 depending on that youth but hey, Billy just might.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:44 pm

RynMan wrote:A shame that this had to turn into another A-Rod argument.

I don't have any trade rumours really, but speaking as an A's fan I have looked thoroughly through this year's crop of free agents and there is no solid Right Handed power bats on that list - which is what the A's have publicly expressed interest in - well, any that they are likely to land. Konerko will likely be snatched up by the Angels or Mets, Billy won't sign Piazza.

Which leads me to the conclusion that Zito will be traded this offseason to acquire the hitter that they need. His stock is high, not alot of solid starters on the market this offseason, this is his last year under contract.

The way Haren, Blanton and Saarloos threw last year was way above expectations. Add Kennedy into the mix along with Harden the ace and there is your rotation. I wouldn't feel comfortable going into 06 depending on that youth but hey, Billy just might.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to where it should've stayed. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby brandnew » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:57 pm

RynMan wrote:A shame that this had to turn into another A-Rod argument.

Hm, what calibur hitter you think they'd be going after with Zito. Example?

Anyways, regarding the Braves, they have a ridiculous amount of trading pieces/extra players/prospects this year... what Schuerholz is going to do with this is going to be very interesting.

Estrada should and probably will be traded, as McCann is better at this point in his career, and will only improve. Johnny is a ML Starting Catcher, not a backup. His offense is better than this year, once he gets healthy from that Erstad collision this offseason. Possible destination is the Padres... maybe in a deal to try to get Otsuka or Linebrink. (Other players included, of course)

LaRoche or Marte might be dealt, with Chipper possibly playing 1B if LaRoche is dealt... Adam got really hot at the end of the year, what Braves fans thought he'd be like all year. Still ended up with 20 HR's, solid I guess, but not from your 1B... Marte deserves his shot, but can't play the OF.

Chuck James, Anthony LeRew, Horacio Ramirez, and John Thomson all have a chance to be traded, too. There aren't many spots in the rotation... Smoltz, Huddy, Davies are probably going to be in it, but the other 2 are up for grabs. I think the Braves might look to trade for a #2 type starter or something with all the extra talent they have. Thomson is damn good when healthy (see beinning of the year), and will only be around 4.75 Mil. next year, so he might get dealt to a team looking for a solid starter (many)

I think Saltalamacchia has reached untouchable status in the minors.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:29 pm

Estrada should and probably will be traded, as McCann is better at this point in his career, and will only improve. Johnny is a ML Starting Catcher, not a backup. His offense is better than this year, once he gets healthy from that Erstad collision this offseason. Possible destination is the Padres... maybe in a deal to try to get Otsuka or Linebrink. (Other players included, of course)

No way the Padres go after Estrada, at least not at the sacrifice of the team's strength: the bullpen.

If the Padres don't re-sign Hernandez, which I doubt they will, they'll probably give Olivo a chance; all this while Kottaras sits in the wings in the minors.

Don't think the Padres are a possible destination.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby da1chipo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:53 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Just because he sucked for this series doesn't mean you trade him away.

Which ironically is the means that got him here in the first place.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:23 am

Big Pimpin wrote:This article on Fox Sports talks about how ARod let the Yanks down in the playoffs (twice) and he should never put on the pinstripes again...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4984978

Possibilities discussed were to the Pads for Peavy, to the Cubs for Wood/Williams, to the Bucs for Ollie or Duke, or to the Braves for Andruw.

I don't know that it's in the realm of possibility, but you never know as long as The Boss is in charge... It would definitely be a way of bringing in some young arms or a CF if they're willing to eat a big chunk of change.

Arod to the Padres ... 8-o 8-o
That is some very good dope. And alot of it.
and no way in hell the MLBPA would let that happen ..

Hang on I need to catch my breath .

Just the thought of having an Arod type player ..

wow ..
ok I am better now.

Good dope ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:28 am

bigh0rt wrote:This thread should be re-titled "Yankee trades in 05/06 off-season" :-D

Apparently I haven't missed a ton in my time gone. I got all excited when I saw there was several pages of what I thought were hot trade rumors, only to have them filled with nothing other than Mets/Yankees/Sawks names that have been talked about for months :-b

And that guy saying that A-Rod was only traded for to perform in the playoffs must not pay attention. That's an absurd, crack smoking comment.

i hear ya ... I'm thru page two and it is a Yankee shopping list.
somethings never change .
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:37 am

hmm ...

so the Padres get Arod and Estrada ... and give up Peavy Linebrink, Otsuka and few other of course ... Don't see it happening ... sorry guys ..

I do see San Diego going after Jacque Jones though. He is a SD native that Kevin Towers has tried to trade for in the past.
The immediate needs here are at 3B and an OF. Ideally a full time CF and maybe a corner OF so they could move Klesko to 1B.

As much as I would like to see Klesko gone in the offseason, I don't see him bieng moved till around the trading deadline, and even then its going to be dependent upon the Padres standings. Of course if we had Arod .... .

As for Hernandez, I would rather have him back over Giles, but if that doesn't happen SD will give the ball to Olivio next season.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:08 am

I heard an Ausmus to the Pads rumor WV, think there might be any truth in that?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers