Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Trades in '05/06 Offseason??

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:51 pm

These are some of the trade rumors I heard, but if you've heard any others with any other teams, feel free to post them here. We can discuss them and their potential impact.

I found this article pretty interesting. http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/29366.htm

I was going to put this in the Yankee forum, but I wanted to get some input from other fans, such as Blue Jay or White Sox fans. The article mentions some potential trades that could happen this offseason, and I want to see if there's any real possibility, or this is just a crock.

Here are some select pieces from the article:

TRADE GARY SHEFFIELD TO ADDRESS CENTER FIELD: Sheffield remains a great hitter. But he embodies an overall Yankee problem of too much age and too many sourpusses, and the money-obsessed Sheffield is facing his walk year. The White Sox were interested in obtaining Ken Griffey during the season for his bat and now might lose their one power source, Paul Konerko, to free agency. Could Chicago start a package with defensive stud Aaron Rowand to get Sheffield?

The Blue Jays crave power and believe Alexis Rios can play center. Is there a mega-trade possible involving Sheffield for Vernon Wells? Can Sheffield be used to obtain pieces that could be redirected to Minnesota to liberate Torii Hunter? The Yanks must find out and then aggressively pursue free agent Brian Giles to play right. Giles is said to favor the West Coast, and should draw strong interest, as well, from the Cubs and Red Sox, if they can move Manny Ramirez.

THINK DEFENSE: The Yankee pitching was better than generally perceived. It was hurt by bad defense, especially in center. But not exclusively there. The Yanks need to make Jason Giambi a 120-game DH. They should thank Tino Martinez for the memories and find a younger player with a chance to grow. Milwaukee's Lyle Overbay is going to be in big demand. But the Yanks might be able to pry somebody such as Detroit's Carlos Pena.

Jorge Posada might just be too expensive to trade. If the Yanks retain him, they need to upgrade with a better all-around backup than the cerebral, but limited, John Flaherty. Arbitration-eligible receivers from small markets such as Cincinnati's Jason LaRue and Tampa's Toby Hall should be targets.

Is there any possibility that the ChiSox would trade Rowand or the Jays would trade V-Dub? I know this is the NY Post, so you have to take everything with a big grain of salt, but is there any talk of these guys getting moved (fans from Toronto and Chicago)? Or is this just NY media garbage?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:59 pm

VDub is untouchable, pretty much, I'd have thought. Rowand isn't to CWS what Vernon is to TOR, but... I can't see Sheffield going anywhere. He's got one year left, wants to retire after that i think, and doesn't want to play anywhere else- hence the rant.

Pierre may well be overpaid in arb, Jacques Jones is a FA i think, Torii Hunter will be paid a ton so may be available if the twins can get value back.

I heard Ryan Freel's name come up as a possible utility player in Boston- he will likely be overpaid for a bench guy in Cincy. What I wondered: he has speed, and a decent OBP- could he be the answer in CF for either big East Coast team?
Last edited by BritSox on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:05 pm

Although I haven't seen this in print yet (it's just a matter of time IMO) I think the Mets and Yankees talk Mike Cameron again. It's a pretty good fit and Cammy won't cost Sheffield in the off-season. Cammy would make that CF in Yankee stadium look much smaller and although people hate on his BA and K, he's a more productive hitter than many give him credit for. The deficiencies he does have can easily be overcomed in the Yankees lineup. On top of that he fits in NY.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:09 pm

Two questions there Amazinz:

Firstly, has that collision ruined him for good?

Secondly: What do the Mets get?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:09 pm

Amazinz wrote:Although I haven't seen this in print yet (it's just a matter of time IMO) I think the Mets and Yankees talk Mike Cameron again. It's a pretty good fit and Cammy won't cost Sheffield in the off-season. Cammy would make that CF in Yankee stadium look much smaller and although people hate on his BA and K, he's a more productive hitter than many give him credit for. The deficiencies he does have can easily be overcomed in the Yankees lineup. On top of that he fits in NY.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with Cammy though. Next year would be his last year under contract though, so it is definately a possibility for them as a short term option. Whether or not it's the Yankees, I do see Cammy getting traded. My best guess would be that he's a Red Sock next year, as part of a Manny deal, but the Yanks are also a pretty big possibility.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikhayl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:13 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to move Cameron for some SP or a closer?

An outfield of Floyd-Beltran-Diaz is a pretty strong outfield. I haven't seen any Mets rumors yet, but I really hope we can pick up some pitching. I think the offense is fine, especially if you assume (optimistically) that Beltran can hit 25 HR with 90+ RBI.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:14 pm

This article on Fox Sports talks about how ARod let the Yanks down in the playoffs (twice) and he should never put on the pinstripes again...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4984978

Possibilities discussed were to the Pads for Peavy, to the Cubs for Wood/Williams, to the Bucs for Ollie or Duke, or to the Braves for Andruw.

I don't know that it's in the realm of possibility, but you never know as long as The Boss is in charge... It would definitely be a way of bringing in some young arms or a CF if they're willing to eat a big chunk of change.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:22 pm

Well I joked about Cammy to Boston in the other thread but I'm not sure it's likely. Damon ends up staying in Boston IMO and then Cammy makes a lot less sense for Boston.

BritSox wrote:Two questions there Amazinz:

Firstly, has that collision ruined him for good?

Secondly: What do the Mets get?

1. It's just a broken bone in his face so physically it's definitely not career-threatening. If you mean psychologically I have no idea about that but my guess would be no.

2. Cameron has a lot less value in the off-season than he did in season. The Mets best chance to trade him passed. My guess is it would primarily be a money deal with minor leaguers or something along those lines. Maybe I'm misjudging the demand for Cameron but I don't think so.

I understand there are probably a lot of CFers Yankees fans would rather have than Cameron but you also have to be realistic. There aren't many options out there and beggars can't be choosers. Defensively the Yankees cannot do better than Cameron without a major move. They could do better than Cammy offensively but the Yankees don't have a problem offensively. Heck, they were starting Bubba Crosby in the playoffs. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 pm

That guy is a moron. The Pittsburgh Pirates are going to get A-Rod? And pay him with what? The Yankees would have to pay his entire contract for him to play for any of those teams.

That guy is a disgrace to sportswriters.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:26 pm

mikhayl wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to move Cameron for some SP or a closer?

An outfield of Floyd-Beltran-Diaz is a pretty strong outfield. I haven't seen any Mets rumors yet, but I really hope we can pick up some pitching. I think the offense is fine, especially if you assume (optimistically) that Beltran can hit 25 HR with 90+ RBI.

It might makes sense to move Cameron for a closer if that becomes available but I think the Mets look at the FA market first. I don't really think the Mets need another SP. They are stocked on decent SPs. Sure if you can get a #1 or #2 but I think Cameron would bring in a #3 at best and the Mets don't need another #3. I don't know. I'm just guessing here, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers