Anyone ever used catcher tandems for fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone ever used catcher tandems for fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone ever used catcher tandems for fantasy?

Postby hooligan1 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:38 am

I'm thinking about the possibility of starting up a new keeper league for next season, and I know "traditional" roto had two catchers, which I don't particularly like. It's such a weak offensive position, it sometimes sucks to have one, let alone two. But I had this thought and perhaps it's not very original but what about drafting a team's catcher tandem? That way you are getting stats every day, and nobody gets two awesome catchers. If one of the two gets hurt, you and only you have dibs on their replacement. You could even have a bench spot reserved specifically for a team's third catcher or likely call-up......

I don't know. What do you guys think?
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:55 am

Sounds like an interesting idea. I've never done it, or heard of it for that matter, but it sounds fairly interesting. If you do give it a shot, let us know how it goes.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Jury » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:01 am

Hm.. you could call it "Smeagol-ing" the team's catcher to yourself, to have them become your preccciousssss :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Anyone ever used catcher tandems for fantasy?

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 am

hooligan1 wrote:I'm thinking about the possibility of starting up a new keeper league for next season, and I know "traditional" roto had two catchers, which I don't particularly like. It's such a weak offensive position, it sometimes sucks to have one, let alone two. But I had this thought and perhaps it's not very original but what about drafting a team's catcher tandem? That way you are getting stats every day, and nobody gets two awesome catchers. If one of the two gets hurt, you and only you have dibs on their replacement. You could even have a bench spot reserved specifically for a team's third catcher or likely call-up......

I don't know. What do you guys think?

Do you mean that this catcher tandem would only take up one bench spot? If so, sure, I guess it would be ok. I would think it would just cause everyone to get fairly crappy offensive stats from their catching position, but worth a try.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:39 pm

My league only uses one catcher (why any league would want 2 is beyond me), but I've effectively done this the past two years. Last year I have Varitek, and while I did not keep Mirabelli on my roster, I would typically pick him up the day before Wakefield's starts. I had AJ this year, and so on Sunday or before lefties where I knew he would sit, I'd grab Widger.

It's worked out both times for me,
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Half Massed » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:53 pm

I've never heard of that, but it could be a workable idea. Some may prefer to just miss the stats when their good catcher sits rather than take a likely 0-4 from a defense-only type backup though. Still, it's an interesting idea and would balance out if everybody did it.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Sounds workable. The only thing is what happens if a catcher is traded? Say you have Boston C like defenses in football and Varitek gets traded to Seattle. You drafted Boston C for Varitek and now you end up with who knows what.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:06 pm

I think you'd have to just hope that owners don't try to take advantage of the system by just adding an extra bench spot and keep their rosters up to date because I don't know of any fantasy provider (free ones anyway) that have that feature built in. :-? It's definitely an interesting idea though. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:52 pm

Pretty neat idea.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:57 pm

Hmmmm.....assuming you could use a "Boston C" position like football defenses, how would this be handled?

You have Albert Pujols as you 1B.

You have St. Louis C as your catcher tandem.

Albert has been out a day or two with his foot acting up, but he's available to pinch hit.

Bottom of the 9th, two on, two out, Cards down by 1, and Mike Matheny, Molina, etc, due up.....but LaRussa pinch hits Albert there. Albert, for that at bat and until a defensive sub is put in or if it's a double switch, is the catcher right?

Albert cranks a 3 run HR. Cards win. Do you get stats for Albert at both C AND 1B (meaning , 2HR, 6RBI)? Or just one? Or none? What if it's H2H and the other guy has Albert at 1B and you have him only due to the C appearance?

I think a situation like this reveals how difficult this concept would be to pull off. There are so many variables. Great idea though.....

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers