Who are the big free agents this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the big free agents this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:54 am

davidmarver wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Brian Giles would be stupid to stay in San Diego.

The contract he gets this offseason may be his last anyway, so his destination doesn't really matter.

But yeah, he'd be stupid to stay in San Diego: his hometown and the most beautiful city hosting a baseball team. ;-7


me think it would be stupid for the Pads to let him go though :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:02 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Brian Giles would be stupid to stay in San Diego.

The contract he gets this offseason may be his last anyway, so his destination doesn't really matter.

But yeah, he'd be stupid to stay in San Diego: his hometown and the most beautiful city hosting a baseball team. ;-7


me think it would be stupid for the Pads to let him go though :-?


Well of course they would want him to stay....unfortunately he will probably wanna get paid.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:07 am

RynMan wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Brian Giles would be stupid to stay in San Diego.

The contract he gets this offseason may be his last anyway, so his destination doesn't really matter.

But yeah, he'd be stupid to stay in San Diego: his hometown and the most beautiful city hosting a baseball team. ;-7


me think it would be stupid for the Pads to let him go though :-?


Well of course they would want him to stay....unfortunately he will probably wanna get paid.


They paid Klesko ;-7
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:35 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:They paid Klesko ;-7


And that may be the reason that they don't pay Giles. :-/
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:50 am

RynMan wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:They paid Klesko ;-7


And that may be the reason that they don't pay Giles. :-/


I would expect them(management) to be better than the Pirates ;-7
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby davidmarver » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:08 am

When you have 20+ million "dead" dollars in Klesko and Chan Ho, resigning players is far more difficult than it should be.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:22 am

I could see the Pads dropping Hoffman's contract this offseason and letting him sign elsewhere. I think he's getting to old for them to be reupping for 8-10 a year. With the money that they save on Hoffman I would think that they would be able to re up Giles contract for another 2 or 3 years. While it would be nice from a fantasy standpoint to have Giles in another ballpark I believe I read that he was from the west coast and wanted to stay there. He is a good fit in the middle of that lineup (though he could use some help).
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1092
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:48 am

Music2004Man wrote:I could see the Pads dropping Hoffman's contract this offseason and letting him sign elsewhere. I think he's getting to old for them to be reupping for 8-10 a year. With the money that they save on Hoffman I would think that they would be able to re up Giles contract for another 2 or 3 years. While it would be nice from a fantasy standpoint to have Giles in another ballpark I believe I read that he was from the west coast and wanted to stay there. He is a good fit in the middle of that lineup (though he could use some help).
I agree they would be better off keeping Giles over Hoffman if it came down to it but letting Hoffman go would probably be a PR nightmare.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 291)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:35 am

dm, do you still think Hoffman's going to get paid more than Rivera? :-b :-b
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:51 pm

blankman wrote:dm, do you still think Hoffman's going to get paid more than Rivera? :-b :-b

Well, he did post a better save % than Rivera this last season, again.

Oh, I forgot, that's not the purpose of a closer. ;-7

I like how you have the "bet" in your sig as if you're actually going to start posting in the other forums. :-b

Pogo was pretty much right on: losing Hoffman would be a PR nightmare and would significantly hurt the Padres best area: the bullpen.

Outfielders like Giles come and go. There is only one best closer ever and it'd be foolish for the Padres to not re-sign him.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chaddwyer82, unioreimi and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact