Offseason Issues: Centerfield - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Offseason Issues: Centerfield

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Yanks

Postby blankman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:31 pm

davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:What they need is to get Brian Giles who has great OBP, Speed and Ok power. He is a really good defensive player. Tori Hunter would be my second option. No one else.

Giles doesn't play CF. :-?

I'd hardly call 15 starts there in 2 years worthy of playing CF.

Giles played right-field in San Diego because it's so humongous; his defense was best utilized in right, especially seeing as Payton and Roberts could man center fine. Giles can play center, though, no problem. He looked great in right this past season.

So its your opinion that Giles could effectively man CF at The Stadium with its huge gaps for 3 years or however long his contract is? You'd know better than I would, so I'm curious. He's no young guy at 34, and in 3 years, he'll be Bernie's age and we all know what's happened to him.

This all worries me, the defensive part, since I'm admittedly not aware of his abilities in that respect including how his arm and range are. Offensively, he's an easy fit, perhaps 2nd in the order, since thats obviously not the place for Alex.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rob0417 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:26 pm

The Yanks are going to have a hard time finding a cfer. Tori Hunter would be a good fit, but I don't think they can get him. Minnesota is going to insist on Cano, and the yanks shouldn't do that.

Mike Cameron would also be a good fit, very similar player to Hunter. But again i don't see the Mets trading him to Yankees unless they get Sheff or Cano back. Neihter of which is going to happen.

Damon is too old and has the same defensive faults that Bernie had.

Jaques Jones wouldn't be a bad fit, he can play a good centerfield and should come relativly cheap. Might try and be too much of a homerrun hitter at Yankee stadium though.

Milton Bradley too many problems. I wouldn't want this guy playing in the same state as my team let alone in the clubhouse. Torre has had success with problem players.

Aaron Rowand/Brian Anderson - I can't see the sox keeping both of these guys, but I also don't see what the Yanks could give up.

Giles/Matsui - I don't see either as a viable option for CF.

Furcal - I heard something about the Yanks considering this. But I can't see it why would he want to play Cf, and would you really want to take that chance, he has the speed and arm to do it, but I don't know about the instincts.

Juan Pierre - I don't know about him. I have soured on him lately, doesn't have a great arm, and has slowed the last couple of years. Plus I don't know if the Yanks have the chips to trade for him. They would probably have to trade Wang to get him, I don't know if the yanks would or should do that.

Corey Patterson - The cubs would move him. A Jaret Wright + cash for Patterson. makes sense for both teams but will that short porch in right be too tempting for Patterson.

Bubba Crosby - He is not an everyday player. 4th OFer at best. but with Yanks lineup they could defiitly live with him. And i don't think george will be willing to go into spring training with him as a starter.

My guess is the yanks Get Bradly. I would rather them take a chance on Patterson for the year and if he doesn't work out go get Hunter next year. Jones would be my fall back, but i think he is going to sign with San Diego.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:53 pm

as much as i would love to see patterson in pinstripes, i would be very surprised to see the cubs take on another injury prone starting pitcher. if they can get it done, ill give cashman a pass for 2006 automatically. :-D

if manny goes to the mets, cameron will have to move. he would cost less than hunter for an almost identical player. .260 20+ hrs 20 steals and gold glove caliber.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:40 pm

dyuen87 wrote:as much as i would love to see patterson in pinstripes, i would be very surprised to see the cubs take on another injury prone starting pitcher. if they can get it done, ill give cashman a pass for 2006 automatically. :-D

if manny goes to the mets, cameron will have to move. he would cost less than hunter for an almost identical player. .260 20+ hrs 20 steals and gold glove caliber.

I'm pretty sure Cameron is in Boston if Manny is in New York.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:46 pm

From Rotoworld:

The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.
It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap. Nov. 11 - 4:02 am et
Source: New York Daily News

Ah well. It was worth a shot. I didn't think it had a big chance of happening anyway. They'll likely have to fill their CF spot with something cheap.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby blankman » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 pm

With rumored interest in Brian Giles, can anyone access his defensive abilities as a CF?

He'd fit great in the lineup, 2nd I'd think with that phenominal OBP and since Alex clearly can't do his best in that spot. Defense is the question...
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to New York Yankees