Offseason Issues: Centerfield - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Offseason Issues: Centerfield

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dimaggio5 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:43 pm

That would be perfect. Matsui is a natural RF. Giles has a lil speed and has played CF before for his prior teams. Since LF is almost like a CF at Yankee Stadium, Giles would be the perfect LF.

It would shape up like this

LF Giles
CF Rowand
RF Matsui

Looks real good!

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:45 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:That would be perfect. Matsui is a natural RF. Giles has a lil speed and has played CF before for his prior teams. Since LF is almost like a CF at Yankee Stadium, Giles would be the perfect LF.

It would shape up like this

LF Giles
CF Rowand
RF Matsui

Looks real good!

Giles plays right in Petco. Matsui is already a leftfielder. You might as well just keep Hideki in left and keep Giles in right. No use switching them at this point.

And I'd love that outfield, but it's unfortunate that crybaby Sheffield won't allow himself to be traded. :-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:43 am

Oooh how i'd love to have that Outfield, but like someone said Sheff would never allow the trade that would be needed to make that happen. Also I really hope they don't go for Damon. The last thing the Yanks need to do is get another older player who isn't that great of a defender. I would prefer them get someone who they just send out there to play great CF and hit's 9th in the order over a big bat that won't be much better then Bernie.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby vapormike » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:43 pm

I too would be quite happy to have Bubba play fulltime next year. I think given a full season his offensive numbers would work out just fine (at least as good as bernie's this year) and he can cover much more ground out there.
vapormike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WharfRat » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:20 pm

vapormike wrote:I too would be quite happy to have Bubba play fulltime next year. I think given a full season his offensive numbers would work out just fine (at least as good as bernie's this year) and he can cover much more ground out there.

Agreed, somewhat. He fills their defensive needs well enough, and might not hurt them offensively any more than Bernie did. At the same time, defensive talent aside, do we really want another year with a CFer with a sub-.700 OPS? Another advantage is his price, I think he's making league minimum plus the cost of a bag of pretzels. If they wanted to give him a chance, I couldn't complain (although I cringe watching that uppercut swing, looks like he's TRYING to strike out). But they couldn't really give him the job without having a backup plan in place, and you can't let those hopes ride on Kevin Thompson just yet.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:58 pm

Some Yankee scouts feel that free agent Johnny Damon is no longer a good defensive center fielder and not worth the $50 million dollar price tag he will be asking for.
The Twins' Torii Hunter is probably number one on their trade list, but its debatable whether Minnesota would actually part with him. Some other trade options could be the Marlins' Juan Pierre, Angels' Steve Finley and Dodgers' Milton Bradley. Oct. 20 - 10:15 am et
Source: USA Today

Good news.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Some Yankee scouts feel that free agent Johnny Damon is no longer a good defensive center fielder and not worth the $50 million dollar price tag he will be asking for.
The Twins' Torii Hunter is probably number one on their trade list, but its debatable whether Minnesota would actually part with him. Some other trade options could be the Marlins' Juan Pierre, Angels' Steve Finley and Dodgers' Milton Bradley. Oct. 20 - 10:15 am et

Good news.

Thank the lord. As everyone knows, I've been on the no-Damon horse for a long time now.

Absolutely no on that racist, Milton Bradley :-t He's the absolute last thing they need. :-t

Finley's too old :-t

Pierre simply sucks for his price :-t

Hunter though ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:53 pm

blankman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Good news.

Thank the lord. As everyone knows, I've been on the no-Damon horse for a long time now.

Absolutely no on that racist, Milton Bradley :-t He's the absolute last thing they need. :-t

Hunter though ;-D

Yeah, I meant good news that they seem to be passing on Damon. The rest of those guys suck though, save Hunter.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:12 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
blankman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Good news.

Hunter though ;-D

Yeah, I meant good news that they seem to be passing on Damon. The rest of those guys suck though, save Hunter.

I know what you meant. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: The Yanks

Postby davidmarver » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:25 am

blankman wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:What they need is to get Brian Giles who has great OBP, Speed and Ok power. He is a really good defensive player. Tori Hunter would be my second option. No one else.

Giles doesn't play CF. :-?

I'd hardly call 15 starts there in 2 years worthy of playing CF.

Giles played right-field in San Diego because it's so humongous; his defense was best utilized in right, especially seeing as Payton and Roberts could man center fine. Giles can play center, though, no problem. He looked great in right this past season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees