Offseason Issues: Centerfield - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Offseason Issues: Centerfield

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offseason Issues: Centerfield

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:03 pm

Obviously everyone's heard the talk about Johnny Damon but I'm not buying into it. I don't want him in CF, especially for a 5+ year contract, which is what he wants. He's 32 and has a terrible arm. The Yanks should be alot more concerned with defense than offense at this point in time. They don't need a leadoff hitter; they don't need Damon.

Who are other options? Preston Wilson and Jacque Jones are free agents, and there's been talk about trading for Pierre, Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter. I would like to get Hunter, but I doubt the Yanks have the pieces to accquire him.

Who DO you see patrolling CF for the Yanks next season, and who would you WANT to see?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:05 pm

I want to see Kevin Thompson.

I could live with a Bubba Crosby for a year until Torii Hunter can be had.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Offseason Issues: Centerfield

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:35 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Obviously everyone's heard the talk about Johnny Damon but I'm not buying into it. I don't want him in CF, especially for a 5+ year contract, which is what he wants. He's 32 and has a terrible arm. The Yanks should be alot more concerned with defense than offense at this point in time. They don't need a leadoff hitter; they don't need Damon.

Who are other options? Preston Wilson and Jacque Jones are free agents, and there's been talk about trading for Pierre, Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter. I would like to get Hunter, but I doubt the Yanks have the pieces to accquire him.

Who DO you see patrolling CF for the Yanks next season, and who would you WANT to see?

Damon - I wouldn't mind, but I'd rather not give him a long contract.
Jacque Jones - One of my favorites, would love to have him.
Torii Hunter - See Jacque Jones.
Preston Wilson - Stay far, far away.
Pierre - I liked him before, but his dropoff this year is a little scary. Speed can't hurt though.
Andruw Jones - Nothing needs to be said about him.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:59 pm

I was looking over Jacque Jones, and this guy is really appealing to me. He was third I believe in Range Factor last year in right field. His numbers for centerfield, although a smaller sample size (roughly 160 games) is even higher. He's got a good arm as well.

He's not an All-Star hitter, but he's far from a liability. He has 20 homerun power and can knock in 70-80 runs batting towards the bottom of the Yankee lineup. He has some speed and his OBP isn't bad.

I wouldn't nessicarily want him as a long term option, but he looks like a great fit for the time being.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:09 am

The Twins CF options are so overrated.

Hunter is a very good glove, pretty mediocre at best hitter who without turf I suspect would turn into a very mediocre to below avg hitter. He is not a great hitter now and really has only had 1.5 good seasons. Hunter is after all a 267 lifetime hitter. with a 779 OPS and 321 OBP. Those are NOT good numbers.

J Jones I suspect would turn into Eric Byrnes out of Minnesota. I do not think either is worth bothering with. The latter is not that good and the former would end up being our Beltran in NY.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:18 am

TheYanks04 wrote:The Twins CF options are so overrated.

Hunter is a very good glove, pretty mediocre at best hitter who without turf I suspect would turn into a very mediocre to below avg hitter. He is not a great hitter now and really has only had 1.5 good seasons. Hunter is after all a 267 lifetime hitter. with a 779 OPS and 321 OBP. Those are NOT good numbers.

J Jones I suspect would turn into Eric Byrnes out of Minnesota. I do not think either is worth bothering with. The latter is not that good and the former would end up being our Beltran in NY.

The Yankees don't need offense though. In a lineup with Jeter, Rodriguez, Matsui, Sheffield, Giambi and an emerging Cano, they need a CF who can play great defense and just be o.k. at the plate. I think Jones would be a very good fit.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

The Yanks

Postby The Big Stick » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:30 pm

What they need is to get Brian Giles who has great OBP, Speed and Ok power. He is a really good defensive player. Tori Hunter would be my second option. No one else.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Re: The Yanks

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:33 pm

The Big Stick wrote:What they need is to get Brian Giles who has great OBP, Speed and Ok power. He is a really good defensive player. Tori Hunter would be my second option. No one else.

Giles doesn't play CF. :-?

I'd hardly call 15 starts there in 2 years worthy of playing CF.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Big Stick » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Yes your right but, it looks like Matsui is comming back. Giles can play left. The last thing I want to see with Damon in center field in Yankee pinstripes. I rather see Crosby.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Re: ..

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:01 pm

The Big Stick wrote:Yes your right but, it looks like Matsui is comming back. Giles can play left. The last thing I want to see with Damon in center field in Yankee pinstripes. I rather see Crosby.

How can Giles play left? That's where Matsui goes.

But I absolutely do agree about Damon. I want no part of him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to New York Yankees