Offseason Issues: Bullpen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Offseason Issues: Bullpen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offseason Issues: Bullpen

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:00 pm

There's been alot of talk about Billy Wagner and BJ Ryan, two power lefties, something the Yankees have sorely lacked. Obviously one of the two will be a major target for the Yanks, but who else? Farnesworth and Julian Tavarez are both FAs, but I'm not sure I put any trust into them.

Also, who of the current crew is coming back? Flash? Sturtze?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:44 pm

I can't imagine Sturtze not coming back at his price.

I want Gordon and Ryan. Not sure about everyone else yet though.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby da1chipo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:56 pm

I don't think a higher profile player like Wagner would want to come to be a setup man. Ryan would be a nice acquisition, and I'd like to see Gordon back.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:12 pm

I would love to see them get someone like B.J. Ryan to sort out the bullpen. He has played in the bright lights of Yankee Stadium and Fenway so he at least has some idea of what to expect and since he's an AL pitcher he won't have is ERA explode like a lot of NL pitchers who came to the AL. My only reservation is that when he's pitched in NY or Bos he's struggled somewhat.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:38 pm

1337_Dude wrote:I would love to see them get someone like B.J. Ryan to sort out the bullpen. He has played in the bright lights of Yankee Stadium and Fenway so he at least has some idea of what to expect and since he's an AL pitcher he won't have is ERA explode like a lot of NL pitchers who came to the AL. My only reservation is that when he's pitched in NY or Bos he's struggled somewhat.

I would definitely take Ryan, an arm like that would help our bullpen enormously: You'd have Small, Sturtze, Ryan, and Mo (not to mention Gordon, who they really should re-sign, despite his postseason bed-wetting). That's a pretty mean pen right there.

Great avatar, by the way. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dimaggio5 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:59 pm

WharfRat wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:I would love to see them get someone like B.J. Ryan to sort out the bullpen. He has played in the bright lights of Yankee Stadium and Fenway so he at least has some idea of what to expect and since he's an AL pitcher he won't have is ERA explode like a lot of NL pitchers who came to the AL. My only reservation is that when he's pitched in NY or Bos he's struggled somewhat.

I would definitely take Ryan, an arm like that would help our bullpen enormously: You'd have Small, Sturtze, Ryan, and Mo (not to mention Gordon, who they really should re-sign, despite his postseason bed-wetting). That's a pretty mean pen right there.

Gordon pretty much hinted he's moving on. He wants to close again.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:33 am

He picked a bad year to leave considering all of the possible Closers that will be on the market. Just imagine how nasty Gordon/Ryan to Rivera would be. Theg ames would go back to being 6-7 innings.

WharfRat wrote:Great avatar, by the way. ;-D

Heh, Thanks. It always made me chuckle when I made it. I'm happy that I finally have a place where people get what it means.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:02 am

dimaggio5 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

Gordon pretty much hinted he's moving on. He wants to close again.

I'm sure he's also terrified of the postseason by now. :-/

But, I'm sure there's a reasonable chance he could be had. His comments didn't sound like it was a done deal, it was more like "I'd like to close, but I could stick around here too." But that might mean the Yanks will have to overpay to keep him, which they shouldn't do.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to New York Yankees