Offseason Issues: General Manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Offseason Issues: General Manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offseason Issues: General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:59 pm

I think it's becoming pretty obvious that Cashman is done as the Yankee GM. Who could take over? I'd love to see George give the job back to Gene Michael, but there's a very slim chance of that happening.

Theo Epstein's contract is up and I heard he wants big money that the Red Sox are weary about giving him. He's a Boston boy though, and I'm not sure if he'd transfer over to the darkside like that.

Who do you see becoming the Yankees next GM?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:18 pm

I think it's a done deal already. I've heard David Oppenheim will be the new GM. If not him I think it will be somebody from within. More specifically, someone from Tampa. My choice is Stick Michael.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:21 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:I think it's a done deal already. I've heard David Oppenheim will be the new GM. If not him I think it will be somebody from within. More specifically, someone from Tampa. My choice is Stick Michael.

Who is Oppenheim? Where did you hear this?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:35 pm

I read it in either the News or Post about 2 or 3 months back. David Oppenheim is part of the Tampa Posse. He was the Boob who drafted for the Yankees this year (in the Amateur Draft). Who is he? I have no idea. What are is baseball credentials? None. How did he get in line for this job? Brown nosing George and back stabbing the New York front office. I'm really serious when I use the term "Tampa Thugs". Those individuals are the worst and most contemptable incompetents in baseball. Connors, Oppenheim, Newman and an ex MLB umpire. Yes an ex MLB umpire has George's ear on player evaluation for the Yanks. It's no wonder the Yanks ars spiraling backwards. I use to be a Yankee season ticket holder for about 12 years. I did not renew this year and probably won't purchase any tickets for next year. Until the Yanks return to being a baseball team again and not a corporate boardroom, I'd much rather watch them on TV.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:45 am

God help us if one of the TB Bozos becomes GM.

If George had any brains, he would give it to Michael. There is obviously a personal rift there of some sorts.

That said, Cashman and the NY crew were just as if not more culpable for this mess as the TB crew. Cashman is after all the rocket-scientist that wanted Wright and Pavano...wanted to play Brown and let EL Duque and Lieber walk last season. Just a few of his knuckle head moves. He brought us Weaver and Vazquez and Witasik and Heredia and Embree and Gabe White and Osuna and Leiter and Embree and RonDL and Womack and Felix Rodr et. al. too
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:56 pm

TheYanks04, you have no evidence that Cashman wanted Wright and Pavano. You have no evidence that he was the catalyst who wanted to bring F-Rod, Heredia, Rondell, etc. to town. I know for a fact that he wanted to bring Vlad to NY but he was out-voted by the Tampa guys.

Cashman takes the hit beause of his title, but you have zero evidence to support that he made all of those moves. He was a great GM from 1998-2001, when they won all the time. You don't suddenly become an ass out of nowhere. He pulled off deals that brought Knoblauch, Clemens, Justice, Brosius, and many more to NY.

Steinbrenner got pissed off after the 2001 W.S. and thought Cash and the rest of them lost credibility. That's when he went out and signed David Wells to a contract all by himself, ignoring Cash's warning that he was old and had a bad back (the same bad back that cost the Yankees the 2003 World Series).

Cashman is a good GM. Steinbrenner lost confidence in him and Torre and everyone else after the 2001 loss. That's when he started making decisions himself, and that's when Tampa entered the picture. Cashman has been bashed for the terrible FO moves, but has not recieved any credit for the good ones either...Matsui, Chacon, Wang, Cano, Rodriguez, etc.

And it looks like you might be having a bad winter, because I just read this...

The Yankees will try to keep GM Brian Cashman rather than allow him to depart when his contract expires on Oct. 31.
"That's safe to say," Yankee general partner Steve Swindal said. "I have said that all along." Swindal, George Steinbrenner's son-in-law who is in line to take over when The Boss steps aside, will handle the talks with Cashman. Many believe Cashman is fed up working for an organization in which he has such limited control. If he leaves, the Phillies, Orioles and Nationals are among the teams that would be interested. Oct. 13 - 1:40 pm et
Source: New York Post

Of course it's ultimately up to him, and I'm still not convinced he'll stay, but it sounds like George wants him back. It doesn't really matter though, if George is just going to ignore him and Torre and use the Tampa morons.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:49 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:TheYanks04, you have no evidence that Cashman wanted Wright and Pavano. You have no evidence that he was the catalyst who wanted to bring F-Rod, Heredia, Rondell, etc. to town. I know for a fact that he wanted to bring Vlad to NY but he was out-voted by the Tampa guys.

Cashman takes the hit beause of his title, but you have zero evidence to support that he made all of those moves. He was a great GM from 1998-2001, when they won all the time. You don't suddenly become an ass out of nowhere. He pulled off deals that brought Knoblauch, Clemens, Justice, Brosius, and many more to NY.

Steinbrenner got pissed off after the 2001 W.S. and thought Cash and the rest of them lost credibility. That's when he went out and signed David Wells to a contract all by himself, ignoring Cash's warning that he was old and had a bad back (the same bad back that cost the Yankees the 2003 World Series).

Cashman is a good GM. Steinbrenner lost confidence in him and Torre and everyone else after the 2001 loss. That's when he started making decisions himself, and that's when Tampa entered the picture. Cashman has been bashed for the terrible FO moves, but has not recieved any credit for the good ones either...Matsui, Chacon, Wang, Cano, Rodriguez, etc.

And it looks like you might be having a bad winter, because I just read this...

The Yankees will try to keep GM Brian Cashman rather than allow him to depart when his contract expires on Oct. 31.
"That's safe to say," Yankee general partner Steve Swindal said. "I have said that all along." Swindal, George Steinbrenner's son-in-law who is in line to take over when The Boss steps aside, will handle the talks with Cashman. Many believe Cashman is fed up working for an organization in which he has such limited control. If he leaves, the Phillies, Orioles and Nationals are among the teams that would be interested. Oct. 13 - 1:40 pm et
Source: New York Post

Of course it's ultimately up to him, and I'm still not convinced he'll stay, but it sounds like George wants him back. It doesn't really matter though, if George is just going to ignore him and Torre and use the Tampa morons.

Evidence? What am I a lawyer? You have videotape's of the meetings for pete sake?...I sure don't. There is no evidence Bond's took roids, Clinton did drugs, or the far side of the moon is not currently inhabited by little green men from alpha centauri either.

Cashman is the GM. He was just following orders on every bad move and he is really a genious forced to accept all the clunkers...come on. You can't really buy into that BS. The man is a lousy GM by any reasonable measuring stick. If you want to blame George for all the ills of the franchise that is your right. Despite George's blustering and fool-hardiness at times, the bottom line is that the minor league development staff blows, the pitching coach blows, the GM blows and most of the scouts blow. Yes George is the man in charge and the buck does literally start and stop with him, but there is a whole lot of blame to go around and Clueless Brian is one of the biggest culprits.

You want a list of the setup and long relief men this clod signed since 2001? It is too long to get into? Remember Hitchcock...yeah I am sure George wanted good old Sterling Hitchcock for 2/12M. And Witasik for Jimenez...there was a great deal in 2001....George had to have Witasik I am sure. And I am sure George wanted Weaver so bad he told Cashman to go trade Lillly for him. Anyone can see Cashman is too bright and it has to be the Mad Shipbuilder who wanted Jeffy boy. After all, Jeffy boy had made such a big name for himself up in Detroit. RoDL...a stoke of genius.
Armando Benitez did well in the Yank pen...not.
Jesse Orosco anyone?
Felix Heredia to a 2 year deal.
Gabe White?
Antonio Osuna?
Womack?
George just had to have Jaret Wrigth too...did not want Lieber.
Alan Embree anyone?
How about Randy Choate?
Dan Micelli?
And of course we all know George had to have Kevin Brown.
Javy Vazquez?
Juan Acevedo?

And at least a dozen more....

....If it were not so painful as a Yankee fan I would be on the floor rolling. George and the TB stooges were responsible for all these wonderful moves. Clueless Brian had nothing to do with them. And like I said, Clinton did not inhale either.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:35 pm

I'm not blaming Steinbrenner for anything other than employing and listening to morons like Billy Connors and Bill Emslie. I don't believe George wanted Witasik or Hitchcock, that isn't his way. I'm not even saying Cashman has never made a bad move, he's probably made plenty. But the Tampa guys have had way too much pull on who the organization gets.

If Cashman is so bad, then explain all the great moves that were made from 1998-2001. His brain didn't melt all of a sudden. George lost confidence in him, and he lost alot of his say in what the Yankees moves would be. Of course he has some pull, but to say that you know that he is 100% to blame, when it is common knowledge that the Tampa faction has ridiculous power in the organization, is quite frankly ludicrous.

The Yankees aren't like any other organization. The factions from NY (Cashman, Torre, Michael, Stottlemyre, etc.) and Tampa (Oppenheimer, Emslie, Connors, etc.) are constantly at war. That is why Stottlemyre got fed up and left. That is why Zimmer got fed up and left. That will be the reason why Torre and Cashman get up and leave.

I don't know if you've read the book "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," but the epilogue tells much of what has gone on in the Yankee FO over the last 5 or so years. I had a link to it online but it appears the scumbags at ESPN made it an "Insider" article.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/st ... id=2051491
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:50 am

I would like Cashman to stay. He puts up with a lot of crap, but for the most part tends to do pretty well. I'm pretty sure a lot of the horrible signings are just as much George's ideas as they are Cashmans. Though if Cashman leaves which looks to be the case. In all honesty I would love to see them get Theo Epstien. But to get either of those scenarios to happen George needs to make one of the two the highest paid GM, because no sane GM would want to put up with George for anything less.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to New York Yankees