Keeper leaguers---ideal number of keepers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper leaguers---ideal number of keepers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby irishdude103 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:03 pm

I prefer 3-5 so that in the years to come a player can't keep dominating year in and year out. It makes it a bit more fair.
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:41 pm

In my 10 team keeper league we can keep up to 7 players and you must keep atleast four. Most of the teams which finish in the top of the league are pretty deep so they have to drop some really talented guys. Most of the bottom half of the league then keeps 4 players and they can scavenge from what the other guys dropped.

When you keep less then 7 we start the draft by picking in reverse finish order until everyone has 7 players. I think that this format works pretty well and it seems like a good number of keepers. We actually had a guy who finished in 9th last year win it all this year because he drafted really well (and also had some good luck). Let me know if you have any questions about this format.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:45 pm

The ideal number, is the number that allows YOU to keep your true studs. :-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Half Massed » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:49 pm

In the most simplest form, I think 4-5 and a rookie is a good number. However I liked that idea of the CYs that ramble brought up, that was interesting. ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:07 pm

ramble2 wrote:
nsulham wrote:You bring up a point I forgot to mention.

The owners in my league that are in favor of a lower number of keepers, their main gripe is "If we keep too many players, the best teams (my team without them saying as much) will have an unfair advantage because they have more to choose from and so their team will be an All-Star team."

I politely remind them that ALL fantasy teams are All-Star teams (more or less) and if it's sustained success they want and longevity, the answer is simple---draft better.

I can, however, see their point and the one thing that does concern me about a large number of keepers is that year in and year out, teams will largely look the same without many changes. I'm in Year 4 right now and to be honest, there are times when I wouldn't mind throwing some guys back and having a different cast of characters each year.

In my league, each owner may choose to keep however many players he wants - within certain constraints.

At the end of each season, each team is allotted a certain number of contract years (CYs) based on where they ended up in the standing. The higher you finish, the fewer number of CYs you get. You can then use CYs to sign players to contracts, or bid on players on other teams. Players may be signed to however long a contract you want, assuming you have enough CYs to account for each year of the contract. First and second place get 10 CYs, last place (11th and 12th) gets 16 CYs.

When a player comes off contract, then they are eligible to be bid upon by other managers in the league (i.e., they are free agents). If one of your players receives a bid, you have the option of matching the offer, if you have enough CYs.

In addition to costing 1 CY for each year you sign a player, each player you keep costs you a draft pick. We do make on exception. Each team may keep one rookie without spending a CY or a draft pick.

It's been a really fun system. We've had teams keep two or three players, while other teams kept 14 or 15. It makes it more challenging to maintain a really strong team, and facilitates movement of top players in trades. This year I traded Santana knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep him in the off-season. I still have more players than I'll be able to keep (some of my free agents will get bids I won't be able to match), so will probably move more top players.

I really like that idea, it sounds more realistic in that you're allowed to put as much stock into a certain player as you want, depending on what you have to give in CYs. I'm looking to start a league this (next) year, so that's a rule that I'll probably think of installing now.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:08 pm

ramble2 wrote:
nsulham wrote:You bring up a point I forgot to mention.

The owners in my league that are in favor of a lower number of keepers, their main gripe is "If we keep too many players, the best teams (my team without them saying as much) will have an unfair advantage because they have more to choose from and so their team will be an All-Star team."

I politely remind them that ALL fantasy teams are All-Star teams (more or less) and if it's sustained success they want and longevity, the answer is simple---draft better.

I can, however, see their point and the one thing that does concern me about a large number of keepers is that year in and year out, teams will largely look the same without many changes. I'm in Year 4 right now and to be honest, there are times when I wouldn't mind throwing some guys back and having a different cast of characters each year.

In my league, each owner may choose to keep however many players he wants - within certain constraints.

At the end of each season, each team is allotted a certain number of contract years (CYs) based on where they ended up in the standing. The higher you finish, the fewer number of CYs you get. You can then use CYs to sign players to contracts, or bid on players on other teams. Players may be signed to however long a contract you want, assuming you have enough CYs to account for each year of the contract. First and second place get 10 CYs, last place (11th and 12th) gets 16 CYs.

When a player comes off contract, then they are eligible to be bid upon by other managers in the league (i.e., they are free agents). If one of your players receives a bid, you have the option of matching the offer, if you have enough CYs.

In addition to costing 1 CY for each year you sign a player, each player you keep costs you a draft pick. We do make on exception. Each team may keep one rookie without spending a CY or a draft pick.

It's been a really fun system. We've had teams keep two or three players, while other teams kept 14 or 15. It makes it more challenging to maintain a really strong team, and facilitates movement of top players in trades. This year I traded Santana knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep him in the off-season. I still have more players than I'll be able to keep (some of my free agents will get bids I won't be able to match), so will probably move more top players.

That's nearly identical to how my keeper league is run, however we limit the keepers between 7-13 (+/- 3 from 10) instead of completely unlimited. I absolutely love it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby garf112 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:19 pm

I think the idea of a league being dominated by the top teams from year to year if there are too many keepers is blown out of proportion. In our league, we increased our keepers from 7 to 8 this year. Yet, three of the top four teams were in the bottom 5 last year. The reason: we no longer have a snake draft, and you can still get a solid team if you draft well! The team that came in second drafted Derek lee with his first pick, I got Joe Nathan. I picked up Sizemore off of the waiver wire for crying out loud. A good draft and waiver wire acquisitions, as well as building around young players as I did, will keep the league competitive.

You also have the option of only keeping 6 or 7. The draft picks that you are compensated are after the second round for the first keeper not kept and after the first round for the second keeper not kept. Believe it or not the kid who finished second kept only 7.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:54 am

I like this topic, in fact i was going to ask the same question......but not now ;-D
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers