Keeper leaguers---ideal number of keepers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper leaguers---ideal number of keepers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper leaguers---ideal number of keepers?

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Just wanted to get an idea of what those of you in keeper leagues consider to be the ideal number of keepers.

My main money league has been wrestling with this situation for some time now. Right now we're at 3 but the first year we had it at 5, and some owners only want 1 keeper.

I guess it all depends on the makeup of your team. If you've got a team full of mediocre players and only 1-2 studs, you'll favor a lower number.

However, if you're in my shoes and are stocked to the gills with stud keeper potentials (A-Rod, Soriano, Beltran, D-Lee, Carlos Lee, Reyes, Halladay, C-Zam, Sheets, Harden, Felix, Lidge, just to name a few), you would want to hang on to as many of those guys as possible.

Thoughts?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:25 pm

I like 6... just seems like a good number to me.

If you have two studs (say Guerrero and Pujols like I do) and are only allowed 3 or 4 keepers. You might have to end up dropping a Jason Bay if you don't want to get rid of your starting pitching of Halladay and Peavy... 6 gives managers to keep their breakout players of which otherwise would be dropped in a league that allows teams to only keep 2-4.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:31 pm

You bring up a point I forgot to mention.

The owners in my league that are in favor of a lower number of keepers, their main gripe is "If we keep too many players, the best teams (my team without them saying as much) will have an unfair advantage because they have more to choose from and so their team will be an All-Star team."

I politely remind them that ALL fantasy teams are All-Star teams (more or less) and if it's sustained success they want and longevity, the answer is simple---draft better.

I can, however, see their point and the one thing that does concern me about a large number of keepers is that year in and year out, teams will largely look the same without many changes. I'm in Year 4 right now and to be honest, there are times when I wouldn't mind throwing some guys back and having a different cast of characters each year.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm

in my main money league it works like this. 1st and 2nd get 4 keepers and everyone else gets 5.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:39 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:in my main money league it works like this. 1st and 2nd get 4 keepers and everyone else gets 5.

See I don't really care for that because (and no offense to you or your leaguemates), I'd rather everyone be on a level playing field.

That one extra person kept that 8 managers get but 2 don't could make a big difference in how things shake out during a season.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 pm

nsulham wrote:You bring up a point I forgot to mention.

The owners in my league that are in favor of a lower number of keepers, their main gripe is "If we keep too many players, the best teams (my team without them saying as much) will have an unfair advantage because they have more to choose from and so their team will be an All-Star team."

I politely remind them that ALL fantasy teams are All-Star teams (more or less) and if it's sustained success they want and longevity, the answer is simple---draft better.

I can, however, see their point and the one thing that does concern me about a large number of keepers is that year in and year out, teams will largely look the same without many changes. I'm in Year 4 right now and to be honest, there are times when I wouldn't mind throwing some guys back and having a different cast of characters each year.

In my league, each owner may choose to keep however many players he wants - within certain constraints.

At the end of each season, each team is allotted a certain number of contract years (CYs) based on where they ended up in the standing. The higher you finish, the fewer number of CYs you get. You can then use CYs to sign players to contracts, or bid on players on other teams. Players may be signed to however long a contract you want, assuming you have enough CYs to account for each year of the contract. First and second place get 10 CYs, last place (11th and 12th) gets 16 CYs.

When a player comes off contract, then they are eligible to be bid upon by other managers in the league (i.e., they are free agents). If one of your players receives a bid, you have the option of matching the offer, if you have enough CYs.

In addition to costing 1 CY for each year you sign a player, each player you keep costs you a draft pick. We do make on exception. Each team may keep one rookie without spending a CY or a draft pick.

It's been a really fun system. We've had teams keep two or three players, while other teams kept 14 or 15. It makes it more challenging to maintain a really strong team, and facilitates movement of top players in trades. This year I traded Santana knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep him in the off-season. I still have more players than I'll be able to keep (some of my free agents will get bids I won't be able to match), so will probably move more top players.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 pm

In my main 14 team money league we get 4 keepers (year 1) and are thinking about adding 1 keeper player every year. We base the keepers on draft position and we cant keep first round picks. So my team of Pujols, Abreu, and Manny are great for this year but mean nothing for next year since I can keep none of the three. An example...I drafted Brett Myers in the 23rd round of our draft. I plan on keeping him for 3 years. This means I will get him in the 21st round until the 09' season. For every year you keep a player (up to 3), you bump the player up a round. If you keep a player for 1 year, he is selected in the same round as last years draft, 2 years he moves up 1 round, etc. Its a great system that stresses value over anything else.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:45 pm

Interesting additions guys. Thanks for the input :-)

Seems like some fun, competitive stuff you got going on ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:55 pm

I actually like the idea of keeping however many players you want (you can have limits too)... the restriction, if you keep a certain player, you lose your draft pick in that round.

for example: You draft Chris Carpenter in the 14th round last year. You get to select him in the 14th round again this year, u lose your 14th round pick but get Carp.

another example: You draft Adrian Beltre in the 2nd round last year (stupid!). You have the option of selecting him again in the 2nd round this year or you can dump him. Of course you'll dump him and get a 2nd round pick to use this year!

I know I've seen leagues like this before and it's very intriguing.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:57 pm

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:I like 6... just seems like a good number to me.

If you have two studs (say Guerrero and Pujols like I do) and are only allowed 3 or 4 keepers. You might have to end up dropping a Jason Bay if you don't want to get rid of your starting pitching of Halladay and Peavy... 6 gives managers to keep their breakout players of which otherwise would be dropped in a league that allows teams to only keep 2-4.

;-D

I like 6 as well, you get two top studs, maybe a stud pitcher and then keep maybe 1 or 2 promising good young guys and then keep another good M. Young/Jeter type player(around there skill level, not talking about SS's)
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers