LEAGUE SETUP QUESTION - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LEAGUE SETUP QUESTION

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:00 pm

The person who lost in the 1st round of the playoffs would automatically get the 7th pick. What could he tank after he loses? The consolation round?
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:09 pm

Amazinz wrote:The person who lost in the 1st round of the playoffs would automatically get the 7th pick. What could he tank after he loses? The consolation round?


What I mean is that if a team loses in the first round of the playoffs, he could still get as high as #3. That said, if he tanks, he could still finish in 6th. That's potentially 3 draft spots.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:The person who lost in the 1st round of the playoffs would automatically get the 7th pick. What could he tank after he loses? The consolation round?


What I mean is that if a team loses in the first round of the playoffs, he could still get as high as #3. That said, if he tanks, he could still finish in 6th. That's potentially 3 draft spots.

Assuming that it's a 12-team league with 6 playoff spots: The way I see it is that the losers of the first round of the playoffs should be able to get no higher than pick #7.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:11 pm

My keeper draft is run the same way Amazinz illustrates. We pay no attention to consolation rounds, as they don't pay out anyway. Once you lose, your draft position is determined (whichever team scored more points in their defeat is given higher draft position than the other team(s)).
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 347)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:07 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:The person who lost in the 1st round of the playoffs would automatically get the 7th pick. What could he tank after he loses? The consolation round?


What I mean is that if a team loses in the first round of the playoffs, he could still get as high as #3. That said, if he tanks, he could still finish in 6th. That's potentially 3 draft spots.

Assuming that it's a 12-team league with 6 playoff spots: The way I see it is that the losers of the first round of the playoffs should be able to get no higher than pick #7.


I understand. The loser's bracket will take up picks 1-6. Picks 11 and 12 are also taken by the winner and runner-up. I am more concerned about picks 7-10. Those teams could tank their rounds so that they get a better pick (#7) rather than try to win a round or 2 and get a later pick (#10). Is there any way to combat that??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:13 pm

1-6 are losers bracket
11-12 Champion/runner up
7th pick = 5th place
8th pick = 6th place
9th pick = 3rd place
10th pick = 4th place

How about that?
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:32 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I am more concerned about picks 7-10. Those teams could tank their rounds so that they get a better pick (#7) rather than try to win a round or 2 and get a later pick (#10). Is there any way to combat that??

I'm not sure. I've never really considered it. Those guys are in the playoffs and in H2H that's all you need to win it all. So why would they tank it? Give up a chance to win it all to secure a slightly better pick?
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I am more concerned about picks 7-10. Those teams could tank their rounds so that they get a better pick (#7) rather than try to win a round or 2 and get a later pick (#10). Is there any way to combat that??

I'm not sure. I've never really considered it. Those guys are in the playoffs and in H2H that's all you need to win it all. So why would they tank it? Give up a chance to win it all to secure a slightly better pick?


Maybe I'm not being clear, maybe you don't understand me, or both. What I am saying is that if we have the consolation bracket get picks 1-6 based on inverse record, that's cool. In the winner's bracket, we have the winner of everything and the runner up getting picks 11 and 12. That leaves picks 7-10, There is a lot of movement that can happen there. What I am worried about is the other 4 teams in the winner's bracket that aren't in the finals. Hypothetically, a team can lose in the first round and then just tank the next 2 rounds. The playoffs are 3 rounds. Seed 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in the first round. If everything goes by the book, 3 and 4 will win and that will set up a 1-4 and 2-3 2nd round. I am asking what motivation 5 & 6 would have to win their next matchup or 2 and what motivation would the losers of the 1-4 and 2-3 matchups have in the next round?? In reality, if teams 1 and 2 win to face off in the finals, teams 3 & 4 have no motivation to win their matchup. There is no $$ involved so they aren't playing for anything other than pride.

What would stop both of those teams in the 3rd and 5th place matches from tanking?? That is the main question.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:00 pm

The way I play is that after 5 & 6 get knocked out of the first round that's it. We don't pay attention to the winners round other than the games that actually count toward the championship. The way we decide on who gets pick 7 (team 5 or 6) we base it on their season records and have several tie-breakers in case of a tie.

But you sound as if you are doing it differently. I don't like the setup because the problem is exactly what you are worrying about. An alternative would be to have the consolation round decide placement. So using team 5 and 6 as an example, their "loser" matchup would result in the winner getting pick 7. That would be some incentive but I think it's better to scrap the non-championship rounds completely.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact