LEAGUE SETUP QUESTION - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LEAGUE SETUP QUESTION

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LEAGUE SETUP QUESTION

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:49 am

I run a keeper league and I calculated the standings based on the playoff results rather than the order in Yahoo, which I believe is based on the regular season. For next season, I want to reverse the standings when figuring out the draft order. Now, this is the easy part. I keep going back and forth with what the standings should be. For now, I did them based on how each team did in the playoffs. I see this as being sort of counter productive, though. For instance, if you are in the consolation round or have already been knocked out of the winner's bracket, you would be better off just tanking it the rest of the way so that you would have a better draft position next season. The way that I see it, there are a few options:

1. Keep it as it is and base the standings on the playoff results.
2. Base the standings on the regular season standings.
3. Base it on the standings for the loser's bracket only.

The more that I think about it, the more I think that #2 might just be the best and easiest way to do this.

Keep in mind that next year's draft order will be a reverse of whatever is decided. I am at a loss here so any insight would be appreciated. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:59 am

I think the playoff teams should be ordered at the bottom half of the draft based on how they performed in the playoffs. The non-playoff teams should be ranked based on standings or better yet by an NBA-style lottery.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think the playoff teams should be ordered at the bottom half of the draft based on how they performed in the playoffs. The non-playoff teams should be ranked based on standings or better yet by an NBA-style lottery.

Interesting thought but wouldn't we have the same problem with those in the winner's bracket?? If I got knocked out of the playoffs, I would be better off tanking it for the rest of the season to get a better draft position. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think the playoff teams should be ordered at the bottom half of the draft based on how they performed in the playoffs. The non-playoff teams should be ranked based on standings or better yet by an NBA-style lottery.

great idea ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:03 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

Interesting thought but wouldn't we have the same problem with those in the winner's bracket?? If I got knocked out of the playoffs, I would be better off tanking it for the rest of the season to get a better draft position. :-?

not really. give the 6th place team the first pick and so on. It will give the consolation bracket something to fight for
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:04 pm

I run a salary-like keeper league with 10 teams, expanding to 12. My draft order 1-4 will the results of the consoltaion bracket. Whoever won it gets the #1 overall pick. Picks 5/6 will be the expansion teams. The rest of the draft is: 5th place, 6th place, 4th place, 3rd place (they win a free entry), 2nd place, 1st place. So even the losing teams in the playoffs are playing for draft position.
I want teams to have something to play for the whole year and not think tanking will help them next year.
Last edited by bigken117 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

In my H2H league we totally disregard the non-Winners playoff bracket. So once you get knocked out of the (real, not consolation) playoffs your draft order is set.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:11 pm

Lo, in my keeper league, we go by your option number 3. It works well.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:54 pm

O.K. So let's assume that the loser's bracket is done based on regular season record. That takes care of picks 1-6. If the rest is determined based on playoff results, why wouldn't someone that lost in the 1st round of the playoffs just tank it to get the 7th pick?? That is my only concern.
Lofunzo

Postby stumpak » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:59 pm

I had the same issue in my football league. We used a lottery for the non-playoff teams and it worked great. For the playoff teams, I used the "NFL" format, which is the champion goes last, the runner up next last, and everyone else based on W-L record, or as it would be in baseball, total points. So I think the optimal solution would be something like this:

Picks 1-4 are awarded to non-playoff teams based on an NBA format lottery

Picks 5-10 are awarded to the playoff teams based on their final regular season point total

Pick 2 goes to the playoff runner-up

Pick 1 goes to the champion

I think this provides as close as you will get to an optinmal set of incentives not to tank.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers