2006.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:55 pm

I would point out that:

1. Ryan has not proven a thing under pressure. Closing for the O's is hardly what you would call playoff tested. Still, he is the best option available to replace an overpriced choke artist like Gordon. Let Gordon walk and sign Ryan imo. Younger, better and a lefty to boot.

Also, while you can say the bullpen needs fixing, this seems to be the mantra every year. Since 2002 actually. The list of clowns they have tried to fix the pen is so long you can't possibly remember them all. Why would you expect them to finally get their heads out of the a**es?...the same clowns that got Witasik, Heredia, Gabe White, Embree and others.

2. Pierre could be had cheaply right now. He had a pretty lousy year though and is hardly ideal.
Damon is a FA and will cost about 4 yrs/40M to get. And his arm is lame.

Something needs to be done with CF. Thinking you can get by with scrubs is what Cashman did in 05...with Bernie and later with Womack. It is folly. You do not need a superstar, but a decent player needs to be acquired imo. WHo that is I do not know, but depending on a rookie who just hit AAA is not something that should be done. Someone who can at least play defense and hit 270 20/80 needs to be found.

3. Signing Matsui is a given.

4. Losing Womack, Bernie, Brown, Tino, Bellhorn, Franklin, Proctor, Embree, Leiter, Lawton, May, Nomo, Redding, Sanchez are also givens.

5. The starting pitching will be a major problem in 06 no matter what they do barring some sort of miraculous resurrenge by two guys (Moose and RJ) who are obviously on the serious decline and/or Pavano finding a way to stay healthy. Don't be surprised if they have a rotation of RJ, Moose, Chacon, Wang and Small for most of next season too. Morris or Burnett are the only two name pitchers available and neithe ris a good gamble at this point imo.

6. Why is george waiting to fire Cahman and Stottlmeyer?...they should have been told to get lost last night...actually they both should have been canned after the 2003 WS debacle. And why Conners and Newman are still around is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

7. It may not seem like a priority now, but Giambi remains a bomb waiting to go off...an injury waiting to happen. He should become the DH and the Yanks should look for yet another 1b to fix the problem. Tino Martinez is NOT the answer. It is time to make Giambi the permanent DH and find a permanent 1b that can play every day without you having to worry about his knee giving out. And it can only improve the defense moving Giambi to the DH slot.

8. Posada is on the Piazza track to catching trash. His contract is up after 06 and he likely will not be retained. It would be best for the Yanks to look to deal him now while guys like Ramon Hernanedez and Molina are free agents. Never happen, but is there really a reason why a now mediocre hitting, poor glove, bad-with the pitchers C needs to be retained past his prime?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:12 am

TheYanks04, I agree with you on alot of points.

Ryan isn't proven under pressure, but he's the best on the market and cannot be any worse than Gordon or any of the other clowns we throw out there. A power lefty is something they've desperately needed for years. This is that guy.

What are some other guys they can get for the 'pen? Bob Howry had a very good year out of Cleveland, and I suppose they could bring Gordon back for middle relief. Small will likely assume a Tanyon Sturtze role in the bullpen. Who else would be worth a shot? I'd love to get Timlin but I don't think he'd come to New York.

I agree with all of your points on CF. Something needs to be done, but not something drastic. They don't need Damon or Pierre or Andruw Jones. One player I like right now is Jacque Jones. He plays great defense and isn't a liability with the bat. He has 20-80 potential and has a decent OBP. He could bat low in the order. His defense would greatly help the pitching staff, and the two outfielders around him.

Womack is signed for next season because some jackass decided to give him 2 years (the same exact mistake they made with Lofton a year earlier, you'd think they learn--). Hopefully they can trade him but he's a FA type player making 2 million per year. Maybe they can dump him, but I doubt it.

They can't do anything with the pitching staff. It will likely be RJ, Mussina, Wang, Chacon and Pavano with Small and Wright in the bullpen. I like Wang and Chacon but that's all I can say. Mussina can't stay healthy/consistent and who the hell knows what we'll get from RJ and Pavano. They can't sign any pitchers (not that there's anyone that great anyway) because they already have 7 starters signed (assuming they bring back Chacon.)

I agree with your first base point, but I can't find anyone to play. If Tino wasn't such a liability with the bat, he'd be good, but the fact is, he's lost a few steps. They don't need a Paul Konerko, but rather a solid defender at first that can do a little bit of hitting. I don't know of anyone like that that is on the market right now though. They need to improve their defense drastically, and if they can get a top 1st baseman and Jacque Jones in, that's already two greatly improved areas. Who is there though? Olerud, Hatteberg, Fick, Snow, Mientkiewicz...? Not very appealing.

You're right about the Posada thing, although it'd be hard to see him go. I don't know if anyone would trade for him and his $12 million contract though. This is a good year for FA catchers though, with Hernandez and Molina available.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 118)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:16 am

Is Nick Johnson a free agent this year? My contract site says he is. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd sign him back here for sure to play 1st. He has developed into a solid hitter and he's still a very good defender. If we can keep him healthy, he would be a huge asset to the team I think. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 118)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:30 am

NJ is arbitration elig I believe. And frankly, he has never player more than a few months without getting hurt isn his 4+ year pro career. Guy is a walking injury and not someone we should bother with imo.

I like Konerko. I think his bat in Yankee Stadium would be a nice fit imo. Would not be cheap for sure. Someone has to DH next year. They need to add someone unless you want to see Sierra DH'ing full time. It would not be the worst signing depending on how much he costs. Probably moot though a she is liekly to stay in Chicago. The alternative is to sign another hitter or go with Sierra.

Jacque Jones I think would turn into near trash outside of Minnesota and off the turf. He is not that great a hitter. He might be a cheap alternative though that we could live with is he could manage 260 20/70. The problem is that was the talk we heard about ROnDL a few years back...and we saw what happened there. I still think the crazies wil go after Damon. Damon would be OK, but he will get a 4 year deal and that is probably 2 more years than he should.

People would trade something to get Posada if the Yanks ate half the contract. They could get a couple of pretty good high prospects I should think. If they keep him all of 06, they will get nothing for him.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dimaggio5 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:31 am

I'd defintiely trade Posada for prospects. The Braves are loaded with catching prospects at almost every level of their minors. They have McCann right now and have an even better prospect down below. Yanks should try to trade for one of the lower prospects in single A, but unfortunately no one seems to have enough foresight to consider option that for the Yanks. Our best catching prospect is Nieves. I would trade Posada and then sign one of the FA catchers who calls a good game. Then try to trade for one of those Braves catching prospects. 5 catching prospects and only 1 spot. Very tempting to trade for.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to New York Yankees