2006.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 am

So on the bright side:

-We have most of the offense intact. Yes that includes choke-a-rific ARod, or "Bluelips McGee" as MMoney calls him :-D , but we wouldn't be in the playoffs without him. Should be one of the best offenses in the league, again. I want to see Kevin Thompson get a little playing time.

-Something like 28 million off the books from Brown and Bernie's salaries. They can go out and sign some arms to shore up the middle relief.

-The rotation is the tough part, a-gain. Randy has shown his age, as has Moose. Pavano and Wright have to be considered unknown quantites, since they were hurt so often but showed flashes at times. However, we also have Chacon and Wang (I don't think we can count on Small for the whole year, he was pitching above his head). Wang and Chacon NEED to be in the rotation in 2006. Those are two solid starters. But with that offense, if we shore up the bullpen, and two out of four of the other 4 starters put together decent years, I think we're looking good for the playoffs again.

Of course, there's always the big question - do these old guys hold up?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:31 am

Chacon is a free agent...he may not be back.
Gordon is a free agent and he should be allowed to walk as he is nothing but a playoff choke-artist.

Pitching is a mess. A complete disaster.
RJ will be back as will Moose. Both are massively overpaid.
Wang will get a spot. Pavano and Wright are signed as well. There is not a lot of room to move as most of these guys are untradeable. And there are no top SPs on the market anyway unless you think Morris or Burnett are great options.

Look for more of the same in 06. After 06, Moose's contract is up and we save 17M. They can decline Wright's option because of his injuries and lose him too in 07. Maybe they can get a decent and reliable setup man to replace Gordon, maybe they just re-sign him. Either way, I do not see an Oswalt/Santana type Ace coming our way and the pitching is likely to kill us again.

I suspect they will get 1 SP to cover their options as the likelihood Mosse, Pavano, Wright and RJ are all effective and healthy is about 0. That may not mean an established ace but more like another number 3. Whether that is Chacon or someone else who knows. How many SPs can you carry? They already have 5 with RJ, Moose, Wright, Pavano and Wang. Chacon would be 6.

I also suspect they go get a CF to replace Bernie and simply try to outslug the opponents again to an even greater extent. Damon and Pierre are the possible acquisitions...mayb a trade for AJ who Atlanta would loe to lose salary-wise, but I seriously doubt they would do that now or that the Yanks would have enough to get him in a trade at this point.

Either way, the damage to this staff by Cashman's 05 signings is going to linger for the next couple of years.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Minor League Skilz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:48 am

You really want to let Gordon walk. I know Torre lost faith in him, but he still better than most. I just don't know who will replace the guy. I don't see Billy Wagner signing to be Mo's setup man.

I don't want to see Chacon leave the team either. He showed some guts on the mound in the second half. I liked the way he conducted himself on and off the field. He repects the game and the opportunity he had in the Bronx. Maybe Wright has to be the odd man out here. I know the Yankees spent a ton of money on him, but I don't like the idea that he is handed a job out of Spring Training. Sign Chacon too and let them battle it out in Spring Training.

And on a side note I think the Yanks should sign Matsui as soon as possible. They could probably talk his price down while he is still thinking about making that last out.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:16 am

Minor League Skilz wrote:You really want to let Gordon walk. I know Torre lost faith in him, but he still better than most. I just don't know who will replace the guy. I don't see Billy Wagner signing to be Mo's setup man.

I'm really torn about Flash. He's one of the best setup man in the league from April - September. But come October, it's a completely different story. I'm not sure what good is a guy who can help pitch you to the postseason, to just lose in the postseason. But I'm also not sure who is out there who is better. I'll check the free agent rolls for relievers later today.

I also think that if Chacon were to get away, it would be a HUGE mistake. But personnel mistakes seem to be the modus operandi for the post-dynasty Yanks, so I don't think this is a done deal by any means.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:28 am

The obvious:
Sign Matsui- quick, while he may be cheapest
Keep Chacon- losing him would be yet another HUGE mistake

What I think they should do:
Resign Gordon- they need him to get to the playoffs in the first place
Keep Small- he's a guy that will be cheap and you can always find a spot for him.
Give Thompson a shot at CF. Sign a defensive speedster to cover ground in CF as a backup if Thompson doesn't pan out.
Not sure whats out there, but get some MR help- this seems to be the priority every single year :-[ I don't care if they have to overpay for a very proven guy, just get it done.
Show Cashman, Connors and Mel the door.

GET MAZZONE!!!!!!!!
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:31 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I also suspect they go get a CF to replace Bernie and simply try to outslug the opponents again to an even greater extent. Damon and Pierre are the possible acquisitions...mayb a trade for AJ who Atlanta would loe to lose salary-wise, but I seriously doubt they would do that now or that the Yanks would have enough to get him in a trade at this point.
The CF situation is interesting as Damon is the only decent FA. Problem is that leaves the Yanks in the same spot of having an aging CF with a weak arm. Isn't there supposed to be someone in the minors who could step in?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:01 am

blankman wrote:

GET MAZZONE!!!!!!!!

;-D ;-D ;-D

Mel was saying that he thinks he will work somewhere next year, just not for the Yanks. He is as ggod as gone.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I also suspect they go get a CF to replace Bernie and simply try to outslug the opponents again to an even greater extent. Damon and Pierre are the possible acquisitions...mayb a trade for AJ who Atlanta would loe to lose salary-wise, but I seriously doubt they would do that now or that the Yanks would have enough to get him in a trade at this point.
The CF situation is interesting as Damon is the only decent FA. Problem is that leaves the Yanks in the same spot of having an aging CF with a weak arm. Isn't there supposed to be someone in the minors who could step in?

Yeah, this is Kevin Thompson, but he's not the answer the Yanks are looking for, yet. He's mainly a speed guy with some pop. He's no savior like Cano, but he might be able to contribute. He was tearing AA up in 2005, got promoted to AAA with like 40 games left and didn't do terribly well. But I think he's beginning the year in AAA in 2006, so we'll see if he can show improvement. My guess is he sees limited action on the big league club in 2006, and from there we'll see what he can do.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:45 pm

WharfRat wrote:Yeah, this is Kevin Thompson, but he's not the answer the Yanks are looking for, yet. He's mainly a speed guy with some pop. He's no savior like Cano, but he might be able to contribute. He was tearing AA up in 2005, got promoted to AAA with like 40 games left and didn't do terribly well. But I think he's beginning the year in AAA in 2006, so we'll see if he can show improvement. My guess is he sees limited action on the big league club in 2006, and from there we'll see what he can do.

So where does that leave them? Overpay for Damon or make a trade?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 pm

I've read that the Yanks aren't concerned with CF. They feel one can be had thru trade or FA, meaning Damon.

I've read that BJ Ryan might be pursued aggressively as the heir to Mo's spot.

Wang is a lock in Pinstripes and I think they said that the Yanks want Chacon too. Kinda get the feeling that if Pavano makes it back, Wright goes to the pen or is traded. Small might spell Sturtze next year.

Womack will also be traded.

Gonna be a wild and crazy offseason.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to New York Yankees