Who is the best ALL AROUND catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the best ALL AROUND catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LukeW9027 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:12 pm

ill give it to victor martinez

Swings a mean bat, plays well defensively, carries a good and young pitching staff in CLE, a leader, and an all around great player
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:27 pm

I have to give it to Gregg Zaun, without him this year, the Jays would have been nowhere. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:39 pm

mweir145 wrote:I have to give it to Gregg Zaun, without him this year, the Jays would have been nowhere. ;-D

The Jays are nowhere. :-D

I dont know who it is, but i can tell you its not Mike Piazza.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:49 pm

Matheny. He is considered one of the best defensive catchers of all time, and probably the best handler of pitching staffs ever. Look at everything any former teammate has ever said, especially the pitchers, and you will see what I mean. He has a solid arm, blocks the plate well, calls great games everytime - he spends a ton of time with his pitching staff looking at video and hitters tendencies. He plays most of the games and is a very tough guy. He's not too shabby with the bat either, not great stats but ok and he's pretty good in clutch situations.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:55 pm

.. and not being biased at all, Yadier Molina. He calls a fantastic game, and has a great arm. He held the opposing teams to about a 40% success rate on the basepaths, and during May and June really knocked the ball around. He'll be one of the top catchers for years to come.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:14 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I say it's Bengie Molina hands down. Pudge was for a long time, but I think his offense and arm have definitely gone downhill the last year+. All the ANA pitchers rave about the games Molina calls and he's one of the best defensive catchers in terms of glove and arm. He also swings a decent bat (usually protecting GA/Vlad in the 5 hole), which is really icing on the cake considering what he does everywhere else. I think Yadier could be up there one day, but he needs to work on blocking the plate more since he tries to get too cute sometimes by picking it with his glove in order to catch a runner napping. There are a lot of catchers who are better at either one or the other, but none that combines both quite like B. Molina IMO.

can't say it any better ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:40 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I say it's Bengie Molina hands down. Pudge was for a long time, but I think his offense and arm have definitely gone downhill the last year+. All the ANA pitchers rave about the games Molina calls and he's one of the best defensive catchers in terms of glove and arm. He also swings a decent bat (usually protecting GA/Vlad in the 5 hole), which is really icing on the cake considering what he does everywhere else. I think Yadier could be up there one day, but he needs to work on blocking the plate more since he tries to get too cute sometimes by picking it with his glove in order to catch a runner napping. There are a lot of catchers who are better at either one or the other, but none that combines both quite like B. Molina IMO.

can't say it any better ;-D

I agree here. I think Molina is emerging as one of the best catchers in the game.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WittyC » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:20 am

RAmst23 wrote:.. and not being biased at all, Yadier Molina. He calls a fantastic game, and has a great arm. He held the opposing teams to about a 40% success rate on the basepaths, and during May and June really knocked the ball around. He'll be one of the top catchers for years to come.

I think for the 2005 season, it was Yadier, hands down.

He was first in CS% and second among qualified catchers in CERA (which I know is a controversial stat, but it still has some relevance).

He was decent at the plate with a .395 OBP and 8 homers. And he's only 24, which is nice.

I will say, though, that Mauer might pull away just because of what he can do with the stick. Mauer will probably not ever be better than Yadier defensively, but he'll certainly be among the best behind the plate for years to come.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:33 am

Defensively it is not even close with Irod leading my quite a bit.
Game calling and overall game knowledge I would say Varitek has the edge.
Hitting it would be Vmart or Varitek.

There really is no clear cut winner. Varitek is the best overall if you want to consider evereything, imo. But guys like Irod and Bengie Molina do pretty well all things considered. A number of guys are pretty good like Ramon Hernandez, Lo Duca, Mauer, etc.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:44 am

V-Mart and Varitek were top offensively this year. Problem is that they threw out less than 25% of base stealers.

Defensively I think I-Rod edges out Yadi. Matheny, Schneider, Ausmus are really good too. Problem is the offense. None of these cracked .750 OPS.

But if I'm picking the best all-around it is Mauer. Probably will be for years to come.

Jason Kendall was easily the worst.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers