Players to Avoid During a Keeper Draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players to Avoid During a Keeper Draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:48 pm

Thanks guys, your replys have really helped!
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby clevername » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Definitely a win now approach to the draft.

Use you last couple of picks on youth if available. Look to pick up up and comers during the season off the waiver wire.

(and I just noticed your location...I'm an Auburn grad myself. War Eagle!)
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:05 am

wrveres wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I wouldnt change the way you usually draft by much. I am a believe that even in a keeper league you get the best players you can regardless of age and try to win this year. You can worry about next year when it comes. One of the biggest mistakes I see when I look at keeper drafts are people who try to draft young players and are always trying to build for next year.

Oh I so agree ..

worry about your keepers once the season is over, not before it begins.

This is the single biggest mistake people make in a keeper league
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

also to note

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:13 pm

Draft to win and keep an eye on young talent. I had 3 keepers and a rookie last year starting out and with my first pick of the draft I went with Clemens..him and Smoltz got me to the finals(where i lost in a tie because the other guy won the W's cat with a closer the last day)The key is to have guys you can fall back on like in my case Abreu,D.Lee,Chavez,Bay,Berkman, and Figgins. Whatever you can't draft you can trade for..my team my have been in the crapper if not for trades.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:24 pm

My main keeper league is about to go into its 4th year and I've won the league each year it's been in existence.

In our original draft I was able to snag A-Rod, Beltran and Prior and made a trade for Soriano later in the year. Those 4, along with Schilling, comprised the 5 I was able to keep.

For last year's draft the keepers was reduced to 3, so I just wittled off Prior and Schilling.

The point is, for me anyway, I've been fortunate in that I've had the foundation of young studs that it allows me to take a chance on older players that might slip, because while other owners are trying to grab up the young keepers, I can look at the older solid vets who will help complement my already golden young guys.

So depending on how many players you keep, make sure you get a core foundation of guys you can count on for years to come and then you'll be able to complement them with nice veteran picks.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:14 pm

nsulham wrote:My main keeper league is about to go into its 4th year and I've won the league each year it's been in existence.

In our original draft I was able to snag A-Rod, Beltran and Prior and made a trade for Soriano later in the year. Those 4, along with Schilling, comprised the 5 I was able to keep.

For last year's draft the keepers was reduced to 3, so I just wittled off Prior and Schilling.

The point is, for me anyway, I've been fortunate in that I've had the foundation of young studs that it allows me to take a chance on older players that might slip, because while other owners are trying to grab up the young keepers, I can look at the older solid vets who will help complement my already golden young guys.

So depending on how many players you keep, make sure you get a core foundation of guys you can count on for years to come and then you'll be able to complement them with nice veteran picks.

solid advice
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers