100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phillies GM shown the door.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Phillies GM shown the door.

Postby DaQ » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:54 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
News
The Phillies fired general manager Ed Wade on Monday after eight seasons with the team. "This was a very difficult decision. No one works harder than Ed, and he has served this organization extraordinarily well for over 16 years," team president David Montgomery told the Associated Press. "At the same time, we have not been able to achieve the goals we have set for the Phillies. As a result, I believe we have reached a point where a change is necessary."

Views
The Phillies almost squeezed into the playoffs on the heroics of their shortstop Jimmy Rollins and his active 36-game hitting streak, but even that was unable to save Wade's job. Be on the lookout for the hottest 27-year old with a mathematics degree from prestigious college in the northeastern United States as that appears to be the trend in general manager signings these days. Expect the first item of business for the new GM to be re-signing free agent closer Billy Wagner.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Thome/Howard situation.

I agreed in-principle to a trade in my league for Howard (it's our league's off-season). Hopefully he stays in Philly and they trade Thome. ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phillies GM shown the door.

Postby daullaz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:15 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
News
The Phillies fired general manager Ed Wade on Monday after eight seasons with the team. "This was a very difficult decision. No one works harder than Ed, and he has served this organization extraordinarily well for over 16 years," team president David Montgomery told the Associated Press. "At the same time, we have not been able to achieve the goals we have set for the Phillies. As a result, I believe we have reached a point where a change is necessary."

Views
The Phillies almost squeezed into the playoffs on the heroics of their shortstop Jimmy Rollins and his active 36-game hitting streak, but even that was unable to save Wade's job. Be on the lookout for the hottest 27-year old with a mathematics degree from prestigious college in the northeastern United States as that appears to be the trend in general manager signings these days. Expect the first item of business for the new GM to be re-signing free agent closer Billy Wagner.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Thome/Howard situation.

If I had to guess the most likely scenario, Thome gets shipped to the White Sox, where he can DH. I don't think Big Hurt is coming back, and Konerko might be gone too. Plus, the White Sox definitely got to see Thome's power when he was with the Indians.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:03 pm

The Phillies would be foolish to re-sign Wagner.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RoxSolid » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:05 pm

Rumors on a Philadelphia TV Show have Thome + Bell packaged to Seattle for Beltre, take it for what its worth just a tv show rumor but something to be throw around, which beltre your getting who knows, but his value would be tough to project in that park next year
RoxSolid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:09 pm

about ******* time!!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Half Massed » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:14 am

RoxSolid wrote:Rumors on a Philadelphia TV Show have Thome + Bell packaged to Seattle for Beltre, take it for what its worth just a tv show rumor but something to be throw around, which beltre your getting who knows, but his value would be tough to project in that park next year

That would make for some interesting speculation. I wonder how Beltre would do hitting in a hitter's park.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:36 am

Half Massed wrote:
RoxSolid wrote:Rumors on a Philadelphia TV Show have Thome + Bell packaged to Seattle for Beltre, take it for what its worth just a tv show rumor but something to be throw around, which beltre your getting who knows, but his value would be tough to project in that park next year

That would make for some interesting speculation. I wonder how Beltre would do hitting in a hitter's park.

The more I think about it, the more it makes perfect sense for both sides. Very interesting!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:25 am

As a Phil's fan I would love to see this trade but I'm not sure how well it works for Seattle. Beltre is still young and could easily rebound next year while both Bell and Thome are over the hill. If Thome could hit 30-35 next year it would be closer but Beltre could put up 30 in that bandbox for the next 4 years. I can't see it happening but if it does I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:43 am

The Phils never made the playoffs in Wade's eight seasons as GM, despite the growth of the payroll from $27 million to $96 million.

Seems to me he would be a perfect replacement for Cashman.
Looks like he is really good at that 'Money Ball' stuff too ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby stumpak » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:44 am

I am only half-joking when I say that the departure of Beattie in Baltimore (who had the biggest fetish in the history of MLB for aging DH/1B/corner OF sluggers with bad backs) significantly reduces the Phil's chances of movign Thome.

As for Wade, you can't say he did not deserve it. He was one of those guys who clearly could turn in a solid "B" performance, but his only chance of building an elite team would have been luck.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers