Phillies GM shown the door. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phillies GM shown the door.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phillies GM shown the door.

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:01 pm

News
The Phillies fired general manager Ed Wade on Monday after eight seasons with the team. "This was a very difficult decision. No one works harder than Ed, and he has served this organization extraordinarily well for over 16 years," team president David Montgomery told the Associated Press. "At the same time, we have not been able to achieve the goals we have set for the Phillies. As a result, I believe we have reached a point where a change is necessary."

Views
The Phillies almost squeezed into the playoffs on the heroics of their shortstop Jimmy Rollins and his active 36-game hitting streak, but even that was unable to save Wade's job. Be on the lookout for the hottest 27-year old with a mathematics degree from prestigious college in the northeastern United States as that appears to be the trend in general manager signings these days. Expect the first item of business for the new GM to be re-signing free agent closer Billy Wagner.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Thome/Howard situation.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:02 pm

About time.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Re: Phillies GM shown the door.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:09 pm

go_jays_go wrote:It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Thome/Howard situation.

How good is Abreu defensively? Could he be worse than Lofton in CF? Cause if Abreu could handle CF, Howard could play RF.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Thome/Howard situation.

How good is Abreu defensively? Could he be worse than Lofton in CF? Cause if Abreu could handle CF, Howard could play RF.

Lol. You joking or you seriously don't know? :-b

Abreu is not a very good fielder.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

and i dont think howards tat great either. why make a stud change his position? just ship off thome and keep your future monster.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:38 pm

I think Philly would prefer to move Thome but it's going to be a tough sell and they would probably end up eating a lot of contract.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:39 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

and i dont think howards tat great either. why make a stud change his position? just ship off thome and keep your future monster.

It's not that easy. Thome is getting old and he's got a huge contract attached to him. It's hard to ship someone like that.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:41 pm

Pogo,

It's a good idea and one that has been thrown around the Philadelphia area but unfortunately Abreu is not good enough defensively to play center and Howard is not quick enough to play the OF. The outfield would be horrible defensively if it ende up being Burrell, Abreu and Howard. The talk is that they aren't going to resign Lofton (which I think is a bad idea because I think that JRoll learned alittle from him this year) and that Michaels and Victorino will share time in CF with Burrell and Abreu staying where they are. Hopefully the team is going to try and make a move to solve the logjam at first base. The best scenario would be to trade Thome to the AL where he can DH but the Phils will have to pick u atleast half of his salary for the remaining three years and I'm not sure if they will do that.

All I can say is that I'm really thankful that Wade is finally gone. He is the only GM currently in baseball who had been around for 8 years with his current team and never made the playoffs. Now we'll see how long Manuel stays around, he single handedly cost the Phils 5 games this year. First of all, he doesn't know how to make a double switch. Secondly, at one point late in the game he has Matt Kata, a decent hitter and Endy Chavez, pityful hitter but a speedster, on the bench. Burrell is on first so he pinch runs with Kata and pinchhits with Chavez who promptly strikes out with them down one run to end the game. Anyone who knows anything about baseball would put the speedster on the basepaths and send the better hitter to pinch hit. Anyway, that's just one example of his incompetence as a manager. I'm glad to see that Wade is out and I'm hoping Manuel follows shortly.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

No I've only seen about 5 or 6 Philles games this year and he wasn't really involved in the field. His fielding ratios don't look good but it's not like Lofton or Chavez are Willie Mays. I just don't see the Phils getting any value for Thome and I wouldn't deal Howard unless a big arm came back.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:46 pm

Hmmm, I'm almost 27, have a mathematics degree from a decent university in the northwest. I'm also a baseball junkie who grew up looking at the transactions first each day. Maybe that's close enough. I should send in my resume...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers