Reasons 1 & 2 to Bring Your Glove - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reasons 1 & 2 to Bring Your Glove

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reasons 1 & 2 to Bring Your Glove

Postby JTWood » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:15 pm

ESPN.com wrote:It was Shaun Dean's lucky day at Minute Maid Park on Sunday.

The Houston Chronicle reported that Dean, of Porter, Texas, did more than catch the game-winning home-run ball hit by Chris Burke in the Houston Astros' dramatic 7-6 NLDS series-clinching victory over the Atlanta Braves, an 18-inning, six-hour epic.

Ten innings earlier, with the Astros down 6-1, Dean caught Lance Berkman's grand slam to the left-field seats to close the gap to 6-5.

"It came right at me," Dean, 25, told the Chronicle. "I just reached over and caught it."

On catching Burke's solo shot: "It was all just a blur ... [it] came more toward my father-in-law, and he just leaned over and I reached down and caught it."

After the Burke homer, "an usher came down and talked to me," Dean told the paper, saying that the Astros normally compensate fans who return special home-run balls to the players who hit them.

Dean, who caught the home run balls approximately three hours apart, reportedly said he probably would give the ball to Burke.

"Everyone was congratulating me, patting me on the back," Dean told the paper. "I had several people say I should buy a lottery ticket or go to Vegas."

The odds of catching two home run balls are not as tough as one would think.

Brad Efron, the chairman of the department of statistics at Stanford University, told ESPN.com that the odds in this particular case are in between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 5,000.

"Of the 43,000 people there, there are actually only a couple thousand people in the ballpark who can catch a homerun ball," Efron said. "So the odds are not as astronomical."

In Minute Maid Park, there are only 763 seats in left field. Considering that there are 3,903 seats in right field, only about 10 percent of the crowd is in position to catch a home run ball.

According to a team official, Dean will attend practice with the Astros in Houston on Friday and will give the balls back to the team.

8-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:34 pm

well good to know there are still some real baseball fans out there. when posada racked up his 1000th hit in baltimore, the guy who got the ball wanted money for it. but :-° guy got lucky to catch two historic home runs.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:38 pm

Lucky guy. :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:50 pm

Yeah, lucky. A ball never seems to come my way when I'm at a game, let alone two.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:07 pm

Pretty cool that he said he'd just give the ball back. Nice to see some good eggs left in the world. ;-D

Catching 2 home run balls though. Wow. That would be awesome! :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 pm

Gotta love the math dork busting out the probabilities. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:24 pm

I wouldn't blame him if he didn't just hand over the balls. I know that I have always dreamed of catching a ball - foul, homerun, whatever - and giving it up after I got it would be mighty hard. Hanging out with the team and a few autographs would do it though. :-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:33 pm

Yeah, I'd give the balls back if they wanted 'em in exchange for some sentimental items and a chance to meet all the players and whatnot... something as priceless as that.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby kentx12 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:34 pm

I cant believe someone got lucky enough to catch both of the balls.. ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:02 pm

That's strange.. when I was watching the game with my Dad I was liek "that ball went to the same spot as Berkman's homer" I guess I was right.. ;-)

And I caught a jeter foul ball this season... not as good as a homer

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers