What is the best way to rank players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is the best way to rank players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:29 pm

Music2004Man wrote:Back to the original question though is it better to rank a players pts above the replacement player or pts from the average player who is playing at the position?

Points above baseline (or worst draftable player at a position).

You want to see how much value a player is above the player you could have for "free".
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:28 pm

Half Massed wrote:
ramble2 wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:I think what everyone has said is good, and I want to emphasize not going with someone else's system if you are in a specialized points league. VORP takes into account the players actual value to his team, and accounts for their equivalant average indpendent of park factors and pitching, since your league probably does not single those out I would not use it to rank players...

Why would you rank by VORP rather than the points a player generated in a given system? I would think the latter would be more relevant. VORP isn't a bad way to go, but I'd rather use something more tailored to my league if possible.

I think he was arguing against using VORP... I look at a player's production the last three years including stats that may not be counted in the league but that will affect other numbers (K/BB ratio for example), then I look at where they are at the present (age, team, etc.), give them a rough projection for this next year and rank accordingly.

Got it. I misread the original post.

I agree with Amazinz's post above. Constructing a VORP that is specific to your league point system would be incredibly valuable. Not only would it tell you how much more valuable any given player is over a likely free agent, but it can also help you determine which positions are more scarce at different times in the draft.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is not to be fooled by the bulk of talent at OF. There are three positions to fill there. Though OF is still relatively deep, when you factor in the three positions that relative depth becomes much less pronounced. I suspect this will come out pretty obviously in your rankings and mock drafts.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers