What is the best way to rank players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is the best way to rank players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the best way to rank players?

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:20 am

I'm looking to start some off-season rankings of players and I was hoping you guys could help me out with which system you believe is better. I'm in a 10 team pts league so should I rank players by VORP or by value over/under the mean or 5/6 ranked guy that is being played? Does it even matter? Thanks in advance
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:16 am

Here's a suggestion for a starting point. Rank players by position based on thier three year average points total (based on your leagues points set-up). After all, what you are ultimately after is how they wll perform in YOUR league. You can use this as a default ranking, and move players up and down accordingly (e.g., move down those on the decline, take into account younger players, etc.).
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:20 am

i do my rankings by each position by their last 3 full years(not just the last 3 years due to injuries and such) of stats... of course this is then adjusted by the players age, team, ball park and other factors as well....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Oliver Perez » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:03 pm

Well, i have my own system, and it's usually mental with me, but...

I like to rank by position. It's a more standard way to compare depths by each spot. For instance, slugging first basemen are easier to find than a slugging second baseman. As guys disappear off the draft board, you want to cross out those who are picked (obviously) and look at depth.

But don't make the mistake of beign driven by depth, either. Pick those guys who are good value at the spot.

Also (and i may get some people who disagree with me on this), i throw out some guys altogether, those whom i will not draft under any circumstances. Guys like Steve Finley, Sammy Sosa, Magglio Ordonez for next year. It works, believe me. If you're in a keeper, don't feel ashamed to reach a little for a young guy who's about to break out.

Just a few things i employ. It worked for me this year, i finished in first. ;-D
Oliver Perez
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:55 pm

I think what everyone has said is good, and I want to emphasize not going with someone else's system if you are in a specialized points league. VORP takes into account the players actual value to his team, and accounts for their equivalant average indpendent of park factors and pitching, since your league probably does not single those out I would not use it to rank players...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby ramble2 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:10 am

Niffoc4 wrote:I think what everyone has said is good, and I want to emphasize not going with someone else's system if you are in a specialized points league. VORP takes into account the players actual value to his team, and accounts for their equivalant average indpendent of park factors and pitching, since your league probably does not single those out I would not use it to rank players...

Why would you rank by VORP rather than the points a player generated in a given system? I would think the latter would be more relevant. VORP isn't a bad way to go, but I'd rather use something more tailored to my league if possible.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Half Massed » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:13 am

ramble2 wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:I think what everyone has said is good, and I want to emphasize not going with someone else's system if you are in a specialized points league. VORP takes into account the players actual value to his team, and accounts for their equivalant average indpendent of park factors and pitching, since your league probably does not single those out I would not use it to rank players...

Why would you rank by VORP rather than the points a player generated in a given system? I would think the latter would be more relevant. VORP isn't a bad way to go, but I'd rather use something more tailored to my league if possible.

I think he was arguing against using VORP... I look at a player's production the last three years including stats that may not be counted in the league but that will affect other numbers (K/BB ratio for example), then I look at where they are at the present (age, team, etc.), give them a rough projection for this next year and rank accordingly.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:36 am

Without a doubt, Magic 8-ball.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:18 am

I generally put the best players at the top, down to the worst at the bottom. :-D

Actually, I rank very similarly to the way described by ramble. Good stuff. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:34 am

I'm sorry guys I didn't explain VORP. I calculate it myself by seeing how many pts a given player earns over a replacement player. For instance, Pujols earned alittle over 200 pts better than the 11 ranked 1st basemen who would be the highest ranked 1b on the waiver wire. As another example David Wright was about 50 pts over the 11th ranked 3rd basemen. I hope this clears up the confusion on VORP. I should really probably call it something else so it doesn't confuse people when I post. Back to the original question though is it better to rank a players pts above the replacement player or pts from the average player who is playing at the position? Sorry about the confusion but thanks for the help.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers