Why doesnt d. lee get any respect from the cafe? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why doesnt d. lee get any respect from the cafe?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why doesnt d. lee get any respect from the cafe?

Postby cristóbal » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:12 am

what's the deal with d lee not getting respect for finally learning how to dominate like he has his whole life. I was 3 years behind him at elk grove h.s. in elk grove california (sacramento area) and i watched him absolutely dominate. sometimes it takes people a bit longer than others to figure it out, and he was on the SAME level as pujols for the ENTIRE year. you guys could pass on him next year but you will be sorely dissapointed with your decision. i promise you he will repeat those numbers very closely for 3-4 years to come.

i understand beltres situation but he was obviously playing for money and last year for d lee was no contract year.

it is utterly ignorant to say that you are not sold on him or j bay for that matter, these guys have skills and they need to be respected.
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:55 am

Where was he not getting any respect? From the people who got a steal drafting him? From the people putting him in their top 3's for NL MVP? The people who made the D Lee triple crown thread get over ten pages?

He's had tons of love from the cafe this year. Less in the second half as he's tailed off a little, but I can't see where you get this idea that he is disrespected here. Unless you mean the overranked discussion. But he's likely to go in the first round. It's no disrespect to suggest he might be overvalued going there- it would be a different matter if people were suggesting he'd be, say, a fourth round choice at best. There are TONS of players who are overranked in fantasy whilst still being very good.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:18 am

D. Lee is getting respect just not 1st round respect.
You want a reason here you go:
Code: Select all
               AB    R    HR   RBI  SB   AVG    OBP     SLG
Pre-All Star   315   69   27   72   10   0.378  0.452   0.733
Post-All Star  279   51   19   35   5    0.287  0.380   0.581

The dropoff in BA, OBP and SLG should give everyone some pause.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:12 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:D. Lee is getting respect just not 1st round respect.

Exactly, I respect the guy ( I drafted him), but I won't take the risk on him in the first round because there are more solid options.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 am

As a Cubs fan, I agree completely that he is a great player but not worth the 1st round risk.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby josebach » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:12 pm

LooseCannon wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:D. Lee is getting respect just not 1st round respect.

Exactly, I respect the guy ( I drafted him), but I won't take the risk on him in the first round because there are more solid options.

Exactly. His second half stats are much more in line with what he'd done the rest of his career. So what's more likely? That next year he'll hit like the first three months of the 05 season or that he'll hit like he did the rest of his career? The chances are, it will be a combination of the two in which case he should go in the second round. If you want to use your fist pick on him, go ahead, but the odds are he won't give you first round value. Jason Bay? What sophomore slump? He should only get better his third year. If I was drafting 10th, 11th or 12th I might give him a shot in the first round.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:32 pm

Post-All Star 279 51 19 35 5 0.287 0.380 0.581

I would expect him to rebound some from those numbers...especially in the RBI area. That team was REALLY bad late in the season and Lee was really the only thing the lineup had going for it at times (especially once ARam went out). But even then, I think he's a bit overrated when you start talking about him in the same breath as Pujols. But I have to say I think he's definitely a solid pick in the second round and maybe even late first round.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:59 pm

My prediction is that D Lee is going to be next year's Beltre - but not as dramatic.

He will regress, and he will be a .280-.285 hitter again, which means corresponding drops in power and on-base, since he won't be getting walked as much. People have already pointed out his regression in the second half of this season. It's already begun.

Unlike Beltre, though, he won't be virtually worthless next year. He'll have value - it's not like .280 with 35 HRs and 100+ RBI is bad - but he won't have the Pujols-like value that he had this year.

Too bad for Lee that this wasn't his contract year. He could have cashed in pre-regression like Beltre did.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:08 pm

JTWood wrote:Too bad for Lee that this wasn't his contract year. He could have cashed in pre-regression like Beltre did.
He's set to be a FA after 06. I bet he does just fine for himself.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
JTWood wrote:Too bad for Lee that this wasn't his contract year. He could have cashed in pre-regression like Beltre did.
He's set to be a FA after 06. I bet he does just fine for himself.

Agreed. As long as he doesn't completely collapse, someone will be influenced by this last year when deciding what to offer him.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers