Blalock is a fraud - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blalock is a fraud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
All this talk about Blalock not able to hit on the road made me look this up. Can you guess which TEX player put up these mediocre numbers on the road?

81 G, 333 AB, 43 R, 13 HR, 56 RBI, 35 BB, 76 K, .270 BA, .809 OPS

Bottom line. Blalock is way too young to be written off when he has put together more good years than bad. One bad season should not label him as anything.

Teixeira.

An OPS of 1.00 at home and .8 on the road is very different from an OPS of .900 at home and .700 on the road. That's equivalent to the difference between Paul Konerko and Shea Hillenbrand.

I don't think anybody is writing him off, but there's no doubt that his value is limited by his inability to hit lefties and his home/road splits.

acutally blalocks ops on the road this year was .611, and .895 at home.
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:18 pm

Yin_Xu88 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
All this talk about Blalock not able to hit on the road made me look this up. Can you guess which TEX player put up these mediocre numbers on the road?

81 G, 333 AB, 43 R, 13 HR, 56 RBI, 35 BB, 76 K, .270 BA, .809 OPS

Bottom line. Blalock is way too young to be written off when he has put together more good years than bad. One bad season should not label him as anything.

Teixeira.

An OPS of 1.00 at home and .8 on the road is very different from an OPS of .900 at home and .700 on the road. That's equivalent to the difference between Paul Konerko and Shea Hillenbrand.

I don't think anybody is writing him off, but there's no doubt that his value is limited by his inability to hit lefties and his home/road splits.

acutally blalocks ops on the road this year was .611, and .895 at home.

I know. But lifetime, Blalock's splits are .927/.692, while tex's are .788 and 1.019.

And what is also forgotten in this comparison is that Tex has no lefty/righty split, while blalock has a huge lefty/righty split. So, Tx is a 1.00 hitter vs lefty and righty at home and .800 versus both on the road. He's certainly not going to kill your numbers on the road.

Blalock is .7 versus lefties at home and 1.1 versus righties.
He's .5 versus lefties on the road and .7 versus righties

So, about the only time you want to play him is versus righties at home. That's about 250 of his plate appearances.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby NZF » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:22 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
So, about the only time you want to play him is versus righties at home. That's about 250 of his plate appearances.

You're on to it.

So that makes him like a 15th rounder and imagine where he'd be if he ended up in Petco.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:25 pm

Interesting thread. Some numbers in there I wasn't aware of. 8-o
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:00 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:JT,

tell me how you can justify taking Blalock ahead of any of these guys as an everyday starter

Oh, I can't justify it in any way. I'm not the biggest numbers guy on the planet. I use my gut just as much, and my gut is that this guy is better than at least 4 or 5 of the guys you listed.

My gut's screwy, though. For instance, I don't like Mora at all... :-?

But then again, I play points leagues, so you can dismiss most of my player-related opinions.

:-B
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers