Blalock is a fraud - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blalock is a fraud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blalock is a fraud

Postby NZF » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:00 am

Not interested in those that say the kid is still only 24 and can only get better, this guy is a fraud.

Against lefties this season he hit .196 with an OBP of .238 and he K'd 53 times in 194 AB's.

Away this season he hit .231 with a .276 OBP 5 HR's and 29 RBI's in 334 AB's.

In a deep 3B position, he only has any value at all because of the great hitters park he plays in and even then, as a platoon player against right handed SP.

Seriously over rated.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:19 am

He is definately overrated, but I still think the kid is okay. I mean, he still did manage 25 HR and 90+ RBI. His OBP, AVG, SLG%, and OPS have dropped drastically though. He was having a decent run until the All-Star break where he totally went downhill.

Pre All Star- 16 HR, 57 RBI, 75 K's, .285 AVG, .346 OBP, and a .825 OPS.
Post All Star- 9 HR, 35 RBI, 57 K's, .236 AVG, .283 OBP, and a .658 OPS.

He's gotta step it up or else people will catch on to this trend. With people expecting so much out of him, he has disappointed greatly. Some people could even call him somewhat of a bust. But I won't get into that.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby NZF » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:05 am

go_jays_go wrote:He is definately overrated, but I still think the kid is okay. I mean, he still did manage 25 HR and 90+ RBI

Considering he hits clean up on a great offense and plays half his games in an exceptionally hitter friendly park, that is ordinary.

To put it into context, the Rangers No.2 hitter had 91 RBI's and their No. 5 hitter 104.

And Delluci had 4 more HR's in 200 less AB's.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:10 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:He is definately overrated, but I still think the kid is okay. I mean, he still did manage 25 HR and 90+ RBI

Considering he hits clean up on a great offense and plays half his games in an exceptionally hitter friendly park, that is ordinary.

To put it into context, the Rangers No.2 hitter had 91 RBI's and their No. 5 hitter 104.

I agree with that.

It's obvious Blalock has had a pretty disappointing year. It's also sad for all the people who drafted him 3rd-4th round to get "so-what" production from what some people thought would be the best offensive 3rd baseman. :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:49 am

go_jays_go wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:

I agree with that.

It's obvious Blalock has had a pretty disappointing year. It's also sad for all the people who drafted him 3rd-4th round to get "so-what" production from what some people thought would be the best offensive 3rd baseman. :-°

LOL, what about AROD? I never thought that Blalock would come close to AROD...the best? haha... funny funny... Naw he's just going through some growing pains, nothing an off-season can't heal
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:56 am

Yeah, his numbers are terrible, playing at basically the AL Coors. :-t :-t :-t
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:56 am

To play devil's advocate to a degree here...

You can't simply say "I don't want to hear that he's only 24 years old..." because that's a fact, and one that shouldn't really be overlooked. I'm not saying he's just waiting another 2-4 years to finally "get it" because heck, he may or may not. But I do agree that he's not all that and a can of Coke, like some people think he is, given the depth at 3B. However, we can't just pretend that he's 30 and producing this way, when he's not.

;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby so0perspam » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:33 am

bigh0rt wrote:To play devil's advocate to a degree here...

You can't simply say "I don't want to hear that he's only 24 years old..." because that's a fact, and one that shouldn't really be overlooked. I'm not saying he's just waiting another 2-4 years to finally "get it" because heck, he may or may not. But I do agree that he's not all that and a can of Coke, like some people think he is, given the depth at 3B. However, we can't just pretend that he's 30 and producing this way, when he's not.

;-D

Right on man .... welcome back. :-) ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby WittyC » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:59 am

How quickly we forget the past...

Blalock actually hit lefties better than righties for average in '04 (.282 to .273), so he has done it in the past.

I would bet the farm that he'll be practicing against a lot of southpaws in the offseason to eliminate whatever hole he developed against them this year.

Expecting him in the same class as A-Rod, M-Cab, A-Ram or Wright would be silly, but I think he'll be back in the top-10 easy in '06.

Maybe he is a "fraud" for playing at Ameriquest, but for fantasy purposes, what is better than a guy who has predictable splits? Grab Blalock in the fourth round and Atkins much later and rotate for home field.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:19 am

WittyC wrote:How quickly we forget the past...

Blalock actually hit lefties better than righties for average in '04 (.282 to .273), so he has done it in the past.

I would bet the farm that he'll be practicing against a lot of southpaws in the offseason to eliminate whatever hole he developed against them this year.

Expecting him in the same class as A-Rod, M-Cab, A-Ram or Wright would be silly, but I think he'll be back in the top-10 easy in '06.

Maybe he is a "fraud" for playing at Ameriquest, but for fantasy purposes, what is better than a guy who has predictable splits? Grab Blalock in the fourth round and Atkins much later and rotate for home field.

But you have to be worried that the second half swoon is becoming a pattern. Three years in a row, no? That to me is a bigger concern than anything else. 8-o
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers