Discussion: Overranked in '06? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Discussion: Overranked in '06?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:36 pm

I've seen the name Clint Barmes thrown around an awful lot more than it should be lately at the Cafe. Are people still believing in this guy? One month, and we're considering KEEPING him in deeper keeper leagues (Yes, I did see this question asked, in a keep league the same depth it was asked if Chase Utley should be kept).

He's one guy who won't be on my draft board. A month of playing out of your shoes doesn't cut it for my fantasy team, but I'd wager it does for more than we're anticipating.

Agree/disagree?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:01 pm

Agree 100%.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hooligan1 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I've seen the name Clint Barmes thrown around an awful lot more than it should be lately at the Cafe. Are people still believing in this guy? One month, and we're considering KEEPING him in deeper keeper leagues (Yes, I did see this question asked, in a keep league the same depth it was asked if Chase Utley should be kept).

He's one guy who won't be on my draft board. A month of playing out of your shoes doesn't cut it for my fantasy team, but I'd wager it does for more than we're anticipating.

Agree/disagree?

Agreed!! Barmes won't be anywhere near my draft list. He'll go way to high in most leagues for my tastes.....

Also agree with some earlier statements. I don't think the purpose of this list was to roll out your 2006 busts, but rather to talk about players that you think will be drafted higher than you will be willing to take them next year. Position drafted relative to production is how you figure value. And this thread was about over-valued players going into next season.......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:23 am

I agree on Barmes ...

He is a .270 hitter and 10- 15 Hrs a year is probably about his ceiling. On top of that he has never been a big base stealer, and not your prototypical 3,4,5 hitter.

I bet we even see him crack a few top 5 lists by position once the spring hype machine starts up.

You would be best to stay far away!!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1151)

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:48 am

wrveres wrote:I agree on Barmes ...

He is a .270 hitter and 10- 15 Hrs a year is probably about his ceiling. On top of that he has never been a big base stealer, and not your prototypical 3,4,5 hitter.

I bet we even see him crack a few top 5 lists by position once the spring hype machine starts up.

You got to remember he's a .270 hitter in Coor's. We all know he was awful when he came back from his injury, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It reminds me of giles when he broke his collarbone: he sucked hardcore when he came back. Is Barmes a .330 hitter? Hell no, but he can comfortably hit .280-.300 in that lineup and he can steal a base. He's definitely someone to target in drafts.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:16 am

bronxxbomber wrote:

You got to remember he's a .270 hitter in Coor's. We all know he was awful when he came back from his injury, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It reminds me of giles when he broke his collarbone: he sucked hardcore when he came back. Is Barmes a .330 hitter? Hell no, but he can comfortably hit .280-.300 in that lineup and he can steal a base. He's definitely someone to target in drafts.

he is all yours ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1151)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:00 am

wrveres wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:

he is all yours ;-D

Ditto.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby Fantasy Guru » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:15 am

No badmouthing Barmes.

Along with some other guys, he got me a then-slumping Carlos Lee, who I then traded for David Ortiz.

So, I will now say in all confidence:

Clint Barmes = David Ortiz
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:32 pm

Fantasy Guru wrote:No badmouthing Barmes.

Along with some other guys, he got me a then-slumping Carlos Lee, who I then traded for David Ortiz.

So, I will now say in all confidence:

Clint Barmes = David Ortiz

All I can say is congrats on picking up Ortiz for him. I agree with what has been said above, Barmes is over his head in my opinion and while having a great month early in the season I won't be taking him in my draft. He will go way too early for my tastes.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MrT » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:44 pm

The players that may dissapoint are:

Pettitte- I expect him to get injured or generally go back to his old numbers.
Beckett will probably have less supporting offense and less resulting wins.
Randy Johnson - expect the numbers to tumble even worsr than 05.
Cliff Floyd- he can't possibly repeat.
IRod - the decline will continue.
Endsberg - flip a coin 2005 numbers or back to 2004.
Beltran - owners will overpay again in 2006. He just is not that good.
Edmonds -2006 will be the year he losses it.
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 41)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers