how bout those stro's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

how bout those stro's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

how bout those stro's

Postby free » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:17 pm

what do you guys think about the matchup in this series? hopefully it is not as close as last year as i still think i am dealing with stomach ulcers due to that.

i think if the same starting pitching staff that showed up against san diego shows up we should hold up pretty well. houston's lineup overall really isn't too scary, but if we get the same staff that closed the season out we could be in some big trouble.

our offense has looked really great so hopefully we don't see one of those infamous card's playoff "o" slumps. also, i believe the key will be how well our bullpen will holdup as it looks like the game will be passed to them when it is still close as opposed to a blowout like the last series.

on a sidenote, anyone know if these games will be nationally televised? i'm going to school in FL and don't have cable and haven't been able to catch a game yet, argh :-t
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: how bout those stro's

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:45 pm

free wrote:on a sidenote, anyone know if these games will be nationally televised? i'm going to school in FL and don't have cable and haven't been able to catch a game yet, argh :-t

Same here. :-[ I assume as long as they're not gonig up against the ALCS they'll be on FOX, but I wouldn't count on it.

As for the NLCS, I'm really worried. I was hoping that the other NLDS would go five, but I guess they essentially played another game today. :-D The times that I saw them go up against Oswalt and Clemens this year they either jumped on them early or Carpenter/Mulder pitched a gem. I don't think I saw them against Pettite though, but going in with good history against 2/3 of the Big Three makes me sleep a little easier at night. The offense appears to be clicking, I just hope it keeps up against stronger pitching (especially Sanders). I'm not worried about Pujols (obviously) since he had such a great post season last year, and Eck appears to be finding a groove along with Grudzielanek while Nunez has been more than servicable all year. I'm with you though, the BP and the rotation past Mulder are the wild cards. If they can keep it together then I don't think there's anything that can stop them from making it two WS in as many years. Morris looked good with a no-no through 5 innings, and while that was reassuring, he did fall apart a bit, and the BP has been hit and miss at best lately.

You also have to keep in mind that this is essentially the same team they faced last year except the Stros are a LOT weaker offensively minus Kent and Beltran (even Bagwell was effective last year), while they've only really added a healthy Pettite. I don't like to make predictions, but I'd be absolutely shocked if this series doesn't come back to STL no matter how it turns out since both of these teams are so evenly matched. All that said I can't wait for Wednesday (or Tuesday if the rumors they were talking about during the game tonight are true). ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:53 am

I think the key to the NLCS is Petitte. For some reason the Cards have struggled against LHP that don't throw heat. Should be a good series.

btw - I think you will be able to see almost all the the NLCS. They usually space the games out so the games don't start at the same time.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:30 am

If Mulder isn't ready to go in game 2, who do you want throwing?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If Mulder isn't ready to go in game 2, who do you want throwing?

Is Suppan available? That's who I'd want going. Even though Morris had a nice 5 IP+ against SD he did start to lose it at the end, and I don't want Marquis anywhere near the mound if the Cardinals are already down 0-1. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:06 pm

Everyone else should be ready to go. I think it depends more on who you would rather pitch in the Juice Box.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:09 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Everyone else should be ready to go. I think it depends more on who you would rather pitch in the Juice Box.

I just want to get out of STL with a 2-0 lead and then try to grab one in HOU. I think this series is coming back to STL no matter what, so I'd rather not have them face two must win games 6 and 7 like last year.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:26 am

looks like mulder is ready to go in game 2 unless its all part of some elaborate ruse concocted by tony to try to trick the stros.

i am fine with morris going in game 3 but i would replace him with marquis at the slightest hint of trouble. marquis has been solid against the stros this year and especially at mm. tony needs to have a quick hook with morris because he can fall apart in a hurry.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:25 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:tony needs to have a quick hook with morris because he can fall apart in a hurry.

Definitely. The only reason (I hope) he left him in in Game 3 was because they had a 5 run lead and he didn't want to overuse the pen. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals