Someone left the stove on! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Someone left the stove on!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Someone left the stove on!

Postby WittyC » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:45 am

It's never too early for the Hot Stove discussion, right?

Just wondering what everyone's heard about these big name (at least, fantasy-wise) potential free agents.

1B -- Konerko, Durazo
SS -- Furcal, Nomar
OF -- Damon, Giles, Matsui, Burnitz, Reggie Sanders, Preston Wilson
C -- Ben Molina, Piazza

SP -- Burnett, Loaiza, Millwood, Weaver, Kenny Rogers, Morris, Schmidt (if option not picked up)
RP -- Ryan, Wagner, Farnsworth, Dotel, Jones, Urbina, Wickman, Dotel, Baez (if option not picked up)

I left a few guys off who seemed obvious (i.e. Clemens), didn't quite seem relevant enough (i.e. Encarnacion, Bret Boone), or had options that would most likely be picked up (Alou, Big Hurt, Jose Guillen, Todd Walker). I guess Juan Gone is a fee agent, too... but my little league team really doesn't need another outfielder.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby San D » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:12 pm

Seeing how well Konerko hit in Fenway, Epstein should go after him! That's assuming the Red Sox sign Epstein! 8-o
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:17 pm

I read on Rotoworld that according to the NY Daily News, Furcal might entertain playing for the Mets at 2B.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:18 pm

Rafael Furcal has purportedly let it be known he would be willing to play second base for the Mets.
Furcal will be a free agent after the postseason. The Mets want to upgrade the position , even if that means buying off Kaz Matsui's remaining contract.
Source: New York Daily News
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Furcal at 2B would be a waste of a great arm.
Hideki and Schmidt aren't going anywhere IMO.

You left Hoffman off at RP and Hernandez at C. Depending on what happens with them could effect Giles.

ChiSox can't afford to lose Konerko.

The Cubs should push hard for Damon or Furcal. And I bet they pick up Burnitz's option.

The Cards will be in the market for at least one corner OF. Be it Reggie or one of the others.

It's pretty thin this year all-around. Last time SP was this thin Park got a huge deal.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:55 pm

If the Sox unload Manny for Cameron, then I see them throwing Delgado like money at Konerko.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:19 pm

San D wrote:Seeing how well Konerko hit in Fenway, Epstein should go after him! That's assuming the Red Sox sign Epstein! 8-o

You know what team is looking for a GM? }:-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:00 pm

The Jays will try to go after Burnett or Washburn, and if they can't get one of those 2, they will likely try to sign one of the others.

They might also go after Konerko and/or Durazo, but if they can't get any of those guys, I would look for Ricciardi to go the trade route to bring some power to the lineup.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:51 pm

A quick run around the infield

C ..

* Piazza
.. Will sign with an AL team where he can play C, 1B and DH.

* Molina .. It is hard to say he will be back as an Angel since they have Mathis, but if he keeps playing the way he is in the playoffs, they may be forced to try to resign him. He will not be cheap since he is having a career year.

* Hernandez .. I have to believe that the Mets will come after him hard. The Padres had a chance to lock him up earlier in the season and balked. I get the impression that they would have no qualms about handing the job to Olivia next season

* Ausmus .. Will probably resign with Houston. There is an outside chance that he signs with SD since he lives here.

1B .. .

* Konerko
.. I think he will be back with the Sox. especially if they make the Series.

* Millar .. not sure where he is going but I can almost promise you it will not be Boston

* JT Snow .. SF will probably bring him back for one more year.

* Durazo .. Not even sure he will be ready to start by spring '06, so speculating what team will take a chance on him is somewhat difficult.

* Thomas .. has a buy out and I expect the Sox to exercise it to save money to pay Konerko.

* Raffy .. time to retire? How much negative publicity can one soul handle.

There is also a ton of trade possibilities for first sackers.
Thome, Overbay, Casey, Nevin ... just to name a few

3B.

* Valentin
.. impossible to predict where he ends up but I am not 'just guessing' when I say it will not be LA.

* Randa .. Outside chance of him resigning in SD. They have no clear-cut option at 3B going into next season, unless they plan to try Burroughs again, which is a strong likelihood

* Mueller Kevin Youkilis is ready to step in and Mueller could end up almost anywhere. A .300 hitter corner man with no power seems like a good fit for SD.

3B is very shallow this year when it comes to possibilities. I would not expect to see a ton of movement here.

2B ..
(also weak)

* Grudzielanek .. will probably resign with the STL

* Biggio .. Will probably resign with HOU.

* Boone .. No clue as to where he ends up, but somebody will gamble with him. To quote WC Fields ... There is a sucker born every minute!

* Vina .. also difficult to speculate, but he does have health issues. He could end up being a nice steal if he stays healthy

* Jimenez He will finish of his career as middle infield UT, for somebody and will show flashes. You would be best to just avoid him.

SS

* Alex Gonzalez .. Outside of Furcal, could be a steal to who ever ends up signing him, except Florida. If he ever gets out of that ballpark, he could have a nice career.

* Furcal.. Many Many teams will be coming after him, so it is hard to predict where he goes. My guess is the Cubs cus he fills so many holes, but I would not count the Mets out. If he does go to NYM, expect a drop off in production.

* Nomar .. Cubs are certainly still an option if they fail to land Furcal, but I would not be surprised to see the Dodgers enter the picture here.

* Aurilia .. someone will give him a starting job, based upon his flashes this year in Cincy. And that someone will be very disappointed this time next season
Last edited by wrveres on Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:02 pm

Good rundown wrveres.
I'd actually be surprised to see Grudz back in STL. Not that they wouldn't want him back but he is going to make a lot more than the $1 million he made this. Cards aren't likely to make a big commitment to him, IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers