100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Underground Hip-Hop fans:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigken117 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:17 pm

CC wrote:
Akinyele maybe?

"Just put it in your mouth"

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:12 pm

Pictures of Sage:

I know. I was close. 8-o

by the way, here is MC Squared's site. Check out his video from the Apollo. Even seeing it on video doesn't quite capture just how ridiculously talented this guy is. You have to see it live.

Solillaquists of Sound were excellent, Da Vinci (their drum player, kind of. He plays two drum machines) was the best performer. He'd start playing the drum machine with his nose, his feet, with his eyes closed, behind the back... Just looked impossible. Sole was Sole. His best song was a cover so I can't really give him credit.

Best line from the night... Sage was doing a freestyle to the "99 Problems" beat about how much Jay-Z had sold out, and ended:

Sage Francis wrote:If you hate hip-hop, I feel bad for you, son
I like 99 rappers but Jay-Z ain't one!

The place went wild.

All in all, it was definitely worth the money. I got to shake his hand afterwards and talk to him for a little bit, too. He's a pretty cool guy.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Half Massed » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:49 am

DK wrote:Pictures of Sage:

I know. I was close. 8-o

by the way, here is MC Squared's site. Check out his video from the Apollo. Even seeing it on video doesn't quite capture just how ridiculously talented this guy is. You have to see it live.

Solillaquists of Sound were excellent, Da Vinci (their drum player, kind of. He plays two drum machines) was the best performer. He'd start playing the drum machine with his nose, his feet, with his eyes closed, behind the back... Just looked impossible. Sole was Sole. His best song was a cover so I can't really give him credit.

Best line from the night... Sage was doing a freestyle to the "99 Problems" beat about how much Jay-Z had sold out, and ended:

Sage Francis wrote:If you hate hip-hop, I feel bad for you, son
I like 99 rappers but Jay-Z ain't one!

The place went wild.

All in all, it was definitely worth the money. I got to shake his hand afterwards and talk to him for a little bit, too. He's a pretty cool guy.

Yeah those pics look crazy close, good stuff. Sage seems like he'd be an interesting guy. Tech N9ne just seems insane though. My friend, Passwurdz (local, as of now, rapper, although he opened for the Casual show Friday) saw him in Rasputin completely gone on E. He said Tech walked up to this couple, pushed the dude out of the way and just started grinding on the girl. :-b
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:57 am

I'll be going to the knowmore.org tour in a couple of weeks. I've seen Sage on his last four tours and he is one of a very small group of artists who I will go to any length to see when they come to town. I'm also looking forward to seeing Sole, I've been a fan of his for a long time, but I've never had the chance to see him live.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:34 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'll be going to the knowmore.org tour in a couple of weeks. I've seen Sage on his last four tours and he is one of a very small group of artists who I will go to any length to see when they come to town. I'm also looking forward to seeing Sole, I've been a fan of his for a long time, but I've never had the chance to see him live.

Eh... I've never been a fan of Sole. I just don't hear anything that blows me away from him. Go to see MC Squared and Sol.Illaquists of Sound along with Sage.

It was kind of funny though... Sole had to come out with his laptop with all of his beats since they didn't have his stuff uploaded onto the speaker system. :-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ironman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:46 pm

I had to search a bit to dig this thread up but wanted to ask if anyone has heard of a group.

WOXY has been playing stuff from a group called Breakestra. I'm not real big into hip-hop/rap but these guys are pretty sweet.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:47 pm

I don't really care for hip-hop whether it's above or below ground, but I have a feeling, just like with all types of music, that underground is always better.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:05 am

You are one lucky man, I would love to get to see Sage and it looks like you were damn close to the stage. ;-D
2nd in the Baseball Leg of the Cafe Challenge.
CC Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Half Massed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:36 am

ironman wrote:I had to search a bit to dig this thread up but wanted to ask if anyone has heard of a group.

WOXY has been playing stuff from a group called Breakestra. I'm not real big into hip-hop/rap but these guys are pretty sweet.

I've never heard of them. Do you know what kind of hip hop they do?
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:38 am

My friend went and saw Sage when Sage was in the Bay Area and he said he was doing hella B-boy moves and put on a real entertaining show. I'm sorry I missed it.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk